Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stuck in a rut.

Hi everyone. 

I have an 8 month old daughter and I ended up with PND when she was only 2 weeks old. While I'm gradually starting to feel better mentally, I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. Looking after my little girl takes up all my energy and I'm really struggling to do simple things around the house and for myself. She sleeps good at night which really helps, but I still find myself exhausted each night and when she's down for her naps. I don't have the energy or motivation to shower, wash the dishes or tidy up around the house. It's starting to get to me. My husband helps as much as he can when he's at home, but it makes me feel worse when he's doing most of the chores. I don't want him to end up resenting me. Right now he is understanding and says he doesn't mind doing it, I'm afraid that if this doesn't start to improve soon then he may end up snapping. I really want to be able to do more for our family. I'm in a good routine with my daughter, yet I can't seem to get myself into one. I don't have any family nearby to help, and non of my friends have children and don't seem comfortable watching my daughter even just for an hour. I think I need some new friends. It's just the 3 of us. I go to a baby group every Wednesday afternoon but I haven't managed to make friends with anyone there other than chitchat whilst at the group. 

Any advice? How do you all manage?

Replies

• Sounds like you just need some you time and better friends I understand you with the friends situation because it happened to me aswell as soon as I had my baby it was like My friends didn’t want to no me which I found very cold and made me angry at the time but now I’m happy they done that because clearly they were not True friends anyway! But you do need to see your family more maybe you just feel trapped but not because of your baby or partner but yourself because you have no you time to go out with friends i feel the same a lot of the time but like yourself I keep myself in a routine