Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

baby engaged

Hi, im 30 + 3 and just wondering if u can tell wen the baby goes head down or engaged as they call it. x

Replies

• Hi, from what I have been told when the head engages your bump drops which gives you more breathing room but less bladder room so you will probably feel it! I think this happens a few weeks before the labour in first time mothers but very shortly before in women who have already had children. I believe the baby is usually head down but not engaged from about 28 wks. Hope this helps - am waiting for mine to drop but I think I might have a few more weeks to go yet!
    Lottie (34 wks)
  • Hi Rach,
    I'm 30+2wks and I know baby is head down because I will often get a foot under my ribs! You might be due another midwife appointment in the next week and they can tell you your babys position. As for being engaged, you will find you need the loo more often as baby puts pressure on your bladder. I also found it was uncomfortable to cross my legs, bend down and all my movements seemed to involve my legs being open! It literally felt like there was something between my legs. My first baby didn't engage until 38wks-ish so you've got a little while yet.
  • Hi, im 30 + 3 and just wondering if u can tell wen the baby goes head down or engaged as they call it. x

Hi,

I'm 39+2 and still havent engaged, i am 4 fifths above which means baby only has forehead in position so far... Time will tell!:roll:
  • Hi my baby's head has been 'down' since 28wks but its head isn't fixed in my pelvis yet (midwife explained all) i'm now 33+2. i told midwife at my 28wk appnt that i felt my bump was getting heavier and she said that was one of the signs its head was facing 'down' as the heaviest part (head) is putting pressure on the lower part of my bump. Hope this helps x