Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Internal Scan - what to expect

Hi Ladies
I'm off to a private scan clinic tomorrow for an early scan at 7+6 and when I phoned to check if I needed to drink water she said it will be internal just in case i'm slightly behind my dates than I think.
What do I expect? DH is coming with me so want to prepare him.
Also, will I get scan pictures even though it's internal??
xxx

Replies

• hi hun i have had a few internal scans and they are fine. they will use what looks like a plastic dildo, its quite long but they dont put it all the way in. they cover it with a condom and put some lube on the end. they then insert it into your vagina. you will be covered up to keep your dignity. they then will wiggle it about to get the images they need. its not painful but might feel bit weird. they check all is well and then usually show you the screen. they point out the baby, heartbeat and anthing else that you ask about. some hospitals charge for pics so maybe take some money along just incase. my own hosp does them for free but does have a donations box on the way out.

good luck x
  • ive had a internal with both my pregnancies and the picture is a lot clearer,like the lady said you need your bladder empty so before you have it they will tell you to go and have a wee,with my scans,you go in a room,they tell you to take your trousers and pants off and put a sheet round you (you go in the corner of the room and they put a curtain round you to do this) then you shuffle on the bed and they get this stick and put on (what looks like a condom :lol: ) on the stick then they put some jelly on then they ask you to put your knees up and open your legs (like your having a smear) then they have a good look then turn the monitor to you and show you everything. on both my early scans i did get a picture,hope that answers your question :lol:

sarah
  • Thank you so much ladies. I was getting a bit worried.
    I did think it would hurt as obviousyl my cervix is fully closed with the pregnancy so I had a horror movie moment go through my brain!
    I'm glad I have my dignity covered though. Husband or no husband, I dont' fancy no dildo sticking in places with him watching LOL! I'm sure he woudl have comments to make!
    Thanks agian for putting my mind at rest. I so cant' wait!!!! xxxx
    Emma
    7+6
    xxx
  • Just to add in, we weren't ALLOWED a pictures with our early scan because "Some ladies have bad news at this stage"...... doesn't stop the lucky ones though does it?? Don't ask. Thankfully we're not going back there again....whole can of worms I don't want to open right now! lol

7+6 too!
    C xxx
  • I have had a few and i never realsied they convered the probe with a condom lol xx haha
  • Really Smiler? Well surely if it's bad news you don't want a picture??? I certainly wont' want one! I'm paying ??80 for this so i'll be bloody getting what I want!!!! God pregnant lady rant!!!
    Ha Ha Mrskittyboo!!!
  • Exactly - and surely they TAKE the pictures anyway for their records don't they?? So it's not exactly hard to then print one out - we were all prepared to pay for the picture and everything.

I think because yours is a private scan you shouldn't have a problem!!

(And I was SO relieved when they said they had to do an internal...I'd drunk so much water my bladder was in agony!!! lol)

C xxx
  • Smiler
    Midwifes should learn that you should not mess with a pregnant lady!!! DH is certainly learning to back down LOL!
    I did wonder actually about how I was going to cope with bladder as it's about a 30 min journey from home and I have hairdressers just before. My hair would have been all wonky through bouncing on the chair needing to wee LOL!
    I'm sure i'll be straight on boring you all with the details. All I want is a heartbeat!!!!! xx
  • Exactly - and surely they TAKE the pictures anyway for their records don't they?? So it's not exactly hard to then print one out - we were all prepared to pay for the picture and everything.

(And I was SO relieved when they said they had to do an internal...I'd drunk so much water my bladder was in agony!!! lol)

C xxx

Oh at first I thought you went private - NHS do not offer piccies for early scans - only 12 week and 20 week unfortunately. xx

I think its bcos the early scans are emergency scans

xxx
  • I had internal as I have a retroverted uterus, so having a bladder full or not hid anything they could see at an early stage!

I was fine, they just put a pillow under your bum and sheet over to cover you, my lady was lovely. Just relax, it is not painful or overly embarassing, my hubby said he would not have known what they were doing if he had not been sat watching from the start. I had to angle my hips and bum into the bed due to angle of womb which made me ache, hence the pillow!

Pretty sure you will get a picture as you are private, we got one as it was at the EPU, who I just can't fault, she even remebered me when I rang to book my GTT, and asked how I was doing which was lovely!

Bets XxX
    24 +2

• C xxx

Oh at first I thought you went private - NHS do not offer piccies for early scans - only 12 week and 20 week unfortunately. xx

I think its bcos the early scans are emergency scans

i had a early scan on both of my pregnancies at 7wks and i got a pic both times and it was NHS so it probably depends on the hospital

sarah
  • MrsKittyBoo - I'm sure someone had mentioned having an NHS scan somewhere on here and HAVING a photo tho? Maybe I'm dreaming.... lol
  • fall3n-ang3l you beat me to it. Glad I'm not going mad!! hehe
  • Thanks ladies
    Bets - how do you know if you have a retroverted uterus - or will I find out tomorrow???
    How lovely are your
    xx

C xxx

They do, I had 3 scans when I had a MMC and they printed the pics out to stick in my records. In a sadistic way I wish I had a copy of it.
  • I had a scan at 10+6 with my 14 month old daughter, got a scan picture to take away. The image was so clear, I could even make out her face!
  • lol @ smiler81 no your not going mad......... this time anyway... :lol:
  • Hi EmmaH1234

I had my scan today and all is well, yay! They asked me to go to the toilet before I went in so an empty bladder is a must. They left me to undress, I removed the bottom half of my clothing, put a towel over me and I sat in a reclined chair. They inserted a dildo with lubricant already prepared, it was very invasive and didn't hurt at all.

They showed me the screen straight away, said they were checking to see how many were in there, there was only one. They checked for a heartbeat and you could see a flutter and he put the volume on so we could hear it too. He measured it at 7+4/5 and he gave me 4 photos to take home.

My OH is a bit squeamish and he said that he had to look away from my bottom half as he was inserting it, even though he couldn't see anything because of the towel! Still he found it an equally amazing experience and it certainly has made it feel more real.

If you've any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask. Wishing you lots of luck xx