Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pierced Belly Button

Has anyone managed to keep their belly button piercing during pregnancy. I bought a pregnancy bar which seems to be doing the job just now but im getting worried that it will have to come out for the labour and close up.

Denise
32w

Replies

• I kept mine in through my entire pregnancy last time and had it in while giving birth!! The midwives were shocked to say the least- it didn't cause me any discomfort or anything.

The only advice I would give is to be careful afterwards- the hole stretched and the bar nearly popped through.
  • My MW and GP have never mentioned my belly bar so it must be really common. The top hole is getting a bit dry, i will try some vaseline to keep it from getting sore.

Thanks KThom
  • Need to get a pregnancy belly bar but do you know if they do nipple ones? Had mine pierced 1 wk before found out was pregnant (oops). What are the pregnancy belly bars like and where can you get them?
  • I'm only 17 weeks but my belly piercing's been okay so far...I might buy a maternity 1 soon cos it keeps coming out though. I don't get how it could affect labour though? I prob sound a bit thick there lol.
  • I had a look at various web sites for a pregnancy belly bars but eventually went to the shop where i had my peircing done. They measured my belly button and made me a new bar, which is made of plastic so its flexible. it cost ??5.

Oldermum, I would go into the place that did yours to ask some advice cause im sure they will have something for you to use.
  • my piercing was ok all the way through but i have a horrid stetch mark from the belly button to the top of the piercing hole, admitidly its not big but i hate it lol! and its quite sore!
  • I knew something wasnt right with it yesterday when i posted. Got up this morning and its looking a bit red, trying the Savlon to see if this will help but I might have to take it out. I will be so upset as I love my piercing.
  • i still have my piercing in, got a plastic pregnancy bar.
    im 35+3!
    the holes gone from a small one to a huge slit tho! also have a stretchmark on the skin which has gone paper thin..! keep expectin it to split open !! it doesnt look to pretty tho! x
  • Och i didn't know you could get maternity ones, i took mines out when i was 17wks just incase, ive had mines done for 10years so was gutted when i took mines out :cry: