Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do i need a birth plan??

Hi,

I've arranged a homebirth with my previous midwife, i now have a new one (at 35 wks - gr8!!) i've discussed my wishes with old midwife like skin to skin asap pain relief etc, now after speaking with new midwife she asked me if i have done a birthplan, my previous midwife didn't talk to me about writing one and not really sure what sort of things to include! and if i'm having a homebirth is it really needed??

i have to be 38wks in order to have ahomebirth, but i really don't think baby is gonna hang on that long so suspect i will have to have a hosp birth anyway!! should i write one asap? what should i include?

Samantha 35wks

Replies

• I have two kids already and have never written a birth plan!! My mw asked me questions both times about pain relief etc and she wrote these in my notes.

I haven't written a birth plan this time either but I am happy with this coz I am more or less willing to go with the flow. If there is anything you feel stongly about that you do or don't want then I would advise you to make it known.
  • I havent written a birth plan even though there is one in my hand notes to be filled in! If its worrying you I would just write a few lines of what you want eg skin to skin contact, vitamin k, cutting of cord ect. Hope you get the birth you want xxx
  • I havent written a birth plan even though there is one in my hand notes to be filled in! If its worrying you I would just write a few lines of what you want eg skin to skin contact, vitamin k, cutting of cord ect. Hope you get the birth you want xxx
  • I didn't have a birth plan with my first and regretted it. Beause I was naive and thought the midwives knew best - nothing went how I wanted it to.

This time I'm having on that will include using birthing pool for pain relief, low lighting, then when pain gets too great - epidural, then after birth at least 10mins bonding skin to skin without intervention unless absolutely necessary. You have to include certain things like epidural as the hospital staff must know in advance that this is what you want so arrangments can be made, otherwise, it might not happen.

Hope this helps, Karys x