Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Does anybody go to Queens Hospital?

Just wondering as that is where I am under and I was wondering what it was like there and also if anybody had had a water birth there.

K xx
8+5

Replies

• Hi honey, i go to basildon, but heard a few things about queens, nothing bad dont worry! You can usually arrange to go and have a look around and ask questions etc.
    However, if you are moving to chafford soon, will you not transfer to basildon? I'm not sure what they do about it, i'm sure they'd let you stay at queens if you wanted, but just thinking of you in labour getting caught in traffic or something! Also, if you do go to basildon, they have a midwife led suite there which is brand new and lovely, my SIL had a water birth there and it was sooo nice, the room and the bath were huge! I'm not allowed to have my bub there as i'm high risk, but i had a little sneaky look around and its lovely, they have a communal room with sofas and a tv, which has gas and air coming out of the walls for if you are labouring and the staff on there were all lovely. It all looked lovely and clean too i guess mainly because its only just been decorated, but still! Totally your choice of course honey, just thought it might be worth considering as you'll be closer to there than queens once you move? xxxxx
  • Thanks for that babe, I have no idea, as I am moving I saw my doctor who tells me I know have to find a new doctor near by which i am yet to do and he said I would still come under Queens and Basildon would be too far? I have no idea where they both are to where i am I am rubbish with things like that.

I would be more than happy to go to Basildon if it's closer it makes sense and I really really really would like a water birth.

I think when i go in for my booking in app I might ask her about that. I have been told as well that queens is only for High Risk and they can send you to King Gorges and I really do not want to go there.

K xx
    8+5
  • I would say that basildon is closer to chafford to be honest, and on a far less busy route so not so much traffic! Chafford is classed as thurrock i believe, i'm thurrock, and am under basildon so i would imagine it would be the same. Once you've found a new surgery they should be able to give you more info, but do it quick, as basildon are really fully booked for scans at the moment and you dont have long before you will be 12 weeks! Although if you are under queens you could always have your nuchal fold scan there and switch to basildon after that.
    If queens is a high risk hospital then its doubtful they'll have a birthing pool, but i could be wrong! I believe under all the new government legislation you can choose which hospital to go to anyway, so maybe you could visit both and see which one you prefer? xx
  • I have my first booking in app on the 13th Jan so I might ask the MW then about going to Basildon as it would be closer to us than coming to Queens and finger's crossed we can change.

I mean if I wanted a water birth and Queens never had one surly I can change hospitals , really they should let you have the birth you would like as long as there are no problems you know.

K xx
    8+5
  • Yeah its always worth asking!
    I'd love to have a water birth, but had complicated pregnancies in the past so this one is high risk also and i've got to spend the whole labour strapped to the bed with monitors and things. What fun!
  • Oh bless you.

Do you think I should call the place who made my booking in app or do you think I should wait till my booking in app with my MW?

Sorry for all the questions
    K xx
    8+5
  • Um, i think i would give them a call and tell them you've moved, just in case they need to change the details on their system etc. Sorry i dont really know, I think if it was me i would call them first just to make sure x
  • OK thank you I will give them a little call and see what they think. Thanks babe

K xx
    8+5
  • Hi Ladies
    Sorry to butt in! I'm from the TTC forum and noticed you were talking about hospitals and i'm from Chafford. A bit optimistic but i am starting to look at hospitals in the area. Chafford does come under Basildon, my MIL is a nurse and thats where all her patients are directed so KLOU you should go there.Does anyone have any first hand experience with Basildon, is it any good?
    If you are looking for new doctors mine are really nice. It's stifford clays surgery which is about 10 mins drive from Chafford. They have about 10 doctors so you can get an appointment really easy and the nurse there is a family friend so would definately recommend her.
    Good luck all with your pregnancies - can't wait to join you!
    xx
  • Oh really ??? are they easy to get to by bus or walking? It's just i do not drive and if I make one and my hubby is at work or I need to go in for check up's with t he baby I will have to make sure I can get there. I will live about two min walk from the station there?

K xx
  • Hi K
    Yeah I think so, they have really good bus links. Maybe phone the bus company and check but it would be pick up from the station and the doctors is on Crammavil Street which has a bus station right outside. I'm sorry I don't know which bus it is but have attached a link to Ensign who run our buses so they should be able to help.
    http://www.ensignbus.co.uk/
    xx
  • Ahhh thank you for doing that, it's always mad when you move somewhere new and you don;t know the area or anybody there you know.

I was hoping for a good doctor as the one I am with now is soooo lovely I will be really sad to leave. Thanks for this I will call up and see about registering with themimage

K xx
    8+5
  • I know, i moved from kent to essex when I was 17 for work. I love it now but god trying to find doctors/dentists was a nightmare.
    Stifford is really nice, there are a few job worth doctors but where doesn't have. Best ones I have found are Dr Martin, Dr Headon and the new lady there (don't know her name). Dont' go to DR Hurter, he is one of those men that thinks periods are not painful and we should just deal with, typical man!
    Good luck, if you need any further suggestions you'll find me the TTC forum most days. Good luck!
    xx
  • Thanks Emma and best of luck with TTCimage

K xx
    8+5
  • Thanks K-Lou
    With any luck i'll be on here in no time!
    When it says 8+5, does that mean you are 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant? How exciting, you must be over the moon!
    xx
  • Hi EmmaH, my experience of basildon hospital has always been good, but i might be biased as i was a nurse there for 5 years so was treated as staff! But i'm not staff now and my treatment with this preg has been just as good. The staff all seem nice (apart from some of the nurses on nightshift who were really moody!!) the only thing i wasnt overly impressed with was the cleanliness, but as i was saying to K-lou it has all been refurbished now and seems a lot nicer! I have no worries about giving birrth there.
    K-lou it wont take you long to find your bearings, and you have Lakeside just over the bridge at the train station!!
  • Oh I know, I love the fact I can just walk over to Lakeside, Hubby drives but I do not so it will be good not having to wait for him to take me there you know. image

K xx
    8+5
  • Lakeisde is the best place in the whole world - in fact i'm there tomorrow - yippee!!!
    OH thinks we should buy shares as i'm the only one keeping it afloat. Have told him wait until i'm PG, then the shopping really starts!
    And - is it wrong to look at baby stuff before your PG? There is apparently a huge Mamas and Papas in Romford that me and OH were going to look around today for ideas/prices etc but will we look stupid with no bump - perhaps I should eat lots before I go?
    xx
  • Thanks Lynz, thats great information. I think all hospitals have their downfalls but it's great when you know someone that has been somewhere.
    Good luck with your pregnancy.xx
  • We'll have to all meet over there for coffee one day, but not til the sales have finished, i cant stand it when its busy!