Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Thrush in early pregnancy

Hi everyone

I'm 4 weeks pregnant today - so very early!

I have got thrush, it feels uncomfortable more than itchy - like a niggle I can feel down below! Its def. not as bad as I've had it before.

I forgot to ask my Dr at the appointment I had yesterday so asked a Pharmacist who said they're not able to give me anything to use in early pregnancy. Rang my Dr's and my Dr prescribed "Ecostatin Pessaries" (Econazole Nitrate).

In the instructions and everywhere online is says "must not be used in the first trimester of pregnancy unless deemed essential by your Doctor".

Having had a MC back in June I am very scared of doing anything to harm our baby. I am frigtened to use these if there is a chance of something going wrong.

I don't seem myself to be suffering from a severe case of thrush, so therefore I'm not sure its essential.

I just wondered if anyone else had these pessaries in early pregnancy and what did you do? Also, having only ever had thrush once before (which I treated with Caneston Duo tablet and cream as I wasn't PG) I don't know whether it'll go away on its own or whether I do need to treat it.

Help!!!

Julie xxx

Replies

• I was exactly the same with my 1st child. I tried allsorts, and I cannot recommend enough to go to Boots and but a bar of Wrights Coal Tar Soap, it absolutely works to keep it away. It has antiseptic and other agents in it, I have recommended it to loads of women and it always works.
    You may just need some caneton cream first but after that the soap will keep it away for good.

• Hiya

I've always found natural yogurt works really well. Its rather messy, so would only use it when at home/in bed. I'm sure your gp would be ok with you using it, you could always ring and ask.

x x x

[Modified by: hayls on August 15, 2008 08:22 AM]

• Hi,

I had the same problem, & left it thinking it would just go away like it has done in the past. But when it didn't go away, I went to the doctors & they give me the pessary/cream (I was 8 weeks then) they said it would be safe although it said on the leaflet advise doc if preg. Mine cleared up the next day & hasn't returned since (touch wood!!)

Good luck, I know how irritating it can be!!!

Vikki
    10+4 x
  • i had this in early pregnancy and the pharmacist said i could use the cream but not the pessary. used the cream and it worked, since then mw has said pessary and cream canestan duo pack is fine.
    would also recommend some probiotics as they can increase good bactria and although work on the gut mw said that they're safe to use and seem to help keep thrush at bay.
    yoghurt was soothing but only after i'd used the cream.
    Also worth trying to keep sugar to a minimum as thats what the thrush feeds off and makes worse.
    Good luck hun.
    Filo x
  • Thanks everyone!

Filo - perhaps the 2 sugars in my tea I have suddenly started 'fancying' aren't doing me any good then! I used to have NO sugar in my tea!!!

I might go to a different Pharmacist at lunchtime. They all seem to say conflicting stuff...

I'd rather not have anything but I know it needs treating from what you say.

I know my Dr has prescribed me these pessaries but just the warnings on them "do no use in the 1st 3 months of pregnancy unless deemed essential by your doctor" has freaked me out. I only spoke to my Dr on the phone so I assume, without her having a look (eeew!), she won't know its essential.

If it was a tablet, I don't think I'd be as worried, but as I am putting somewhere where my little bean is growing, it scares me so much.

Thanks again, Joo xxxxx
  • Oh I had the worst thrush ever for the first few weeks of pregnancy but used Coal Tar soap and what a miricle that stuff is! I now use it every day and will for the rest of my pgcy as dont want to get the thrush back ! I did use the canestan cream at the same time but that just cooled and soothed my sore bits! Go for the soap and within a week Im sure you'll be fine.
    xxxxxx
  • Saw a lovely pharmacist at lunchtime - she wouldn't let me have any canestan cream or the tablet but she recommended I wash with vagisil (have to say, I was quite cringed by taking this to the check out!)... she said see how I get on with that and if not, go back to the Dr and tell her my worries about taking those pessaries.
    I might also nip to Boots 2moro and try the soap recommended.

Thank you!
  • I am in my 6th week and having the same problem. Thank you guys. I have learnt alot too

• Hi, I had thrush for the first time at 4 weeks pregnant and again roughly at 8 ... The first time I was prescribed a pessary & the second time a cream pessary and canesten external cream.

On my second prescription the doctor (who was different from the first) said the reason they don't like to prescribe a pessary is because of the application stick and that if its inserted to roughly or to far up it can damage the cervix ... So I don't think it's the pessary that's a danger to pregnancy but the applicator ... So as long as your careful and insert it halfway in (sorry) at night it should be absolutely fine image x

P.s also heard natural youghurts brilliant .. Although I haven't tried image
  • Hello ladies, just wondered if anyone could help with my query?

On the 13th of this month my partner and i had sex and the condom had split and leaked.. I took a pregnancy teat 3 days later and it was negative then again on the 4th day also negative....my period should have started at the end of the month (27th) but it started on the 20th instead (1 week early) which finished yesterday but i now have thrush and a constant stitch like pain in my side, both of which i had in my first pregnancy...is it possible to be pregnant even though i had a period?.... and should i retake a test? I have read so much on line but still dont know if it is possible or not?

Thanks

Woo

• The canestan the doctor gave me worked the first time and I was too scared to use the pessary. Got thrush again after just four weeks from first bout - canestan didint help. Doctor really had no other solutian to my problem. I got a great cream from amazon called mumies with tumies by the mama nature company and it cleered up all symtoms after one week. I use this every other day to prevent it again and that has now been four months with no thrush.

• Hi Everyone

Interesting reading for me, we are trying to concieve at the mo, but due to no results with a previous partner in the past i have my worries although the docs can't find anything wrong. My younger sis had 12 mc over a 6 year period but also carried 3 healthy children to, and the docs could not explain it!! Also my cousin had to take clomid to conceive. I am 34 and have had heartburn for about 4 days continuous and thrush for the last 2 which i have never had before. I am a little scepticle about doing a pregnancy test as i don't want to jinx us i guess we wll just have to wait and see lol. Any suggestions or tips are greatly received. x

• Hi Everyone

Interesting reading for me, we are trying to concieve at the mo, but due to no results with a previous partner in the past i have my worries although the docs can't find anything wrong. My younger sis had 12 mc over a 6 year period but also carried 3 healthy children to, and the docs could not explain it!! Also my cousin had to take clomid to conceive. I am 34 and have had heartburn for about 4 days continuous and thrush for the last 2 which i have never had before. I am a little scepticle about doing a pregnancy test as i don't want to jinx us i guess we wll just have to wait and see lol. Any suggestions or tips are greatly received. x

• Has anyone used this thrush thing with other symptoms to narrow down the possibility of being pregnant? I have been having other symptons and now this, BUT all the urine tests so far are showing negative.

• Hi Sandra, I got that mummies with tummies and it has made my pregnancy a lot easier thanks. It is uncomfortable enough being pregnant without the added discomfort of thrush. I noticed a big difference after two days and it works really great. Only one month to go now until I give birth. Can't wait.

• Ive always get thrush for about 2 days around my period is due since I fell pregnant with my two children (my mum also sufferd terribly)11years ago! But last year I had it for 8weeks solid, and was the worst thrush id have ever got I cried every day for 8weeks it was horrible the doctor prescrives me 8x lots of cream n pessary n pill n eventually it went but it was the worst 8weeks of my life lol

Im 10weeks pregnant now and I feel an irritant feeling down there, really hopeing I dont get it image...
  • Is it ok to insert the yoghurt into the vagina while your pregnant?

• It's safe to insert natural yogurt while pregnant. You could dip a tampon into it and insert it and take it straight out, just so you've got a coating up there. Two or three times a day for a few day's should clear it up. The tampon is also safe as your not leaving it in Xxx
  • I have thrush AGAIN for years I've suffered regular thrush & BV only this time with possible pregnancy and unsure to take pessary or not (without using the applicator)

I can't wait until next week when I do a test and it's too early to test now 😕 

If I am expecting I will only just be 3 weeks 

What do you think should I do the pessary without the applicator minimising the risk of cervical damage and so it is confined to where it should be or another method? 

• I've had thrush this pregnancy and took a pessary without applicator, it's totally safe,long as it's not pushed too high,just enough so it don't fall out

And only certain ones you can take whilst pregnant,so ask your doctor which ones are safe x