Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Thinking of leaving my partner :(

Please help. I have just had a baby. A month old. I have been with my partner a few years and he has a 6 year old daughter. She lives with us as her mum passed away shortly after her being born. She asked a while back if she could call me mum, obviously coudnt say no but explained im here step mum. Anyway, since baby arrived I can’t help but feel bad as i just can’t bond with her like I can my baby. She’s a troubled child and isn’t very well behaved but I just don’t have the bond. I’d never hurt her and I look after her and take her to school etc but I can’t get really excited about my newborn because I don’t want her to feel left out. My partner looses his temper with her all the time becaise of how frustrating she is and he Does get snappy quite easily. He’s really grumpy and quite aggressive(not physically)’but i worry now he will treat our newborn the same. I always thought it would get better with the baby but now I’m worried it’s going to be worse. I feel very down and keep having thoughts of leaving. We argue all the time and I’m unsure if I’m suffering a little after having baby or if I do want it to end. Sometimes he’s makes me happy but sometimes i can’t stand Him. sorry for long post. Please help n

Replies

• Options

Hi, sorry to hear about how your feeling. sometimes it’s best to think of yourself even if that means being a little selfish. I’d suggest talking to your partner about how you feel and if he reacts aggressively then you will know how much he cares and how much he wants to change for your child.  

As for the girl, I want really suggest much about that. I’d put her in a club so she can take her energy out and meet new people there. i know it’s not easy bonding with someone else’s child.

but if your not happy, is it worth staying?