Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

4 month old won't take her milk

My daughter is 4 1/2 months old and absolutely choked with the cold. I've tried clearing her nose, snuffle balm and Calpol etc but I just can't get her to take her bottle. She had about 10oz all day yesterday (mainly spilled down her front) and I'm starting to worry about dehydration.

She seems able to swallow a little bit of cooled boiled water so should I just keep trying with the milk and a little water if she refuses?

She's so upset which isn't like her at all. 

Replies

• Is she doing lots of wet nappies and poo's? As long as she's doing wee's you should be ok. It will pass in afew days, it's just likely really hard to suck and breathe at the same time, and as soon as the cold passes, she'll go back to normal. 

Just keep offering milk, which you could make a little thinner than usual (if formula feeding) to help her take it - I would also, just keep offering the milk as often as possible, but try not to worry too much (easier said than done i know). I'd avoid water, just give thin milk, but you can always give your health visitor a shout and see what she suggests too. Wishing your baby better x

• Thanks, she's taking a little more today - although only out of her bottle with the handles and I'm not allowed to touch it!

• that's pretty amazing she can hold her own bottle - mine were terrible for doing that! 
    but i'm glad she's drinking a bit more - how is the cold doing? Rub some Vicks on the soles of her feet tonight x

• Shes definitely been here before. Tried it last night and she was a bit less grungy with it! I think a day of naps will fix her!

• edited May 2, 2019 1:21PM
    Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines