Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

The naming question!

Replies

• Hi TigerLily

If it makes you feel any better if we have a boy my hubby wants to have the initals VIP (our surname's Pedley) so he wants to call the kid..... wait for it.......

VLAD (the) IMPAILER Pedley

I think I've finally managed to talk him into a sensible name but now he's got my dad on his side! xxx
  • lola thats hilarious! glad u talked him round, but thankyou for making me laff after that horrible eastenders episode tonite!
    xx
  • Lola - thank goodness I'm not alone! My Hubby comes up with names (and is quite serious) like Amadeus, Conan, Orson, Arwen, Samson ....... the list goes on! I'm not going to show him your post or he may add Vlad to his list!

Gill x
  • im gonna go with iris, eadie or grace for girls and gabriel or reuben for boys depending on wat suits lo and how many times i might change my mind before im due,lol. xxx
  • Don't know if I'm having a girl or boy but we have decided on Keira Ann if it's a girl and Samuel Peter if it's a boy.
    The others are called Daniel Andrew, Rebekah Jade, Alexander Keith & Natalie Jayne
  • lol funny how men look at intials for funny names My sil had a lil girl a while back she's 6mths now but decided to call her Scarlett her last name being Tanner my partner came up with names like Scarlet hannah Indigo tanner changing the middle names but keeping the initials the same (to make things worse when she actually had her she was on the loo in the hospital now you can imagine the new baby's nicknames!) poor kid! what makes me laugh more is the fact She loves my OH and eyes him up all the time when he's around lol we don't ge on so well with the SIL so we rarely see the lo but when we do her lil eyes lite up hahaha could it be love???? hehehe
  • We had no problem picking our girl name (alice), but he wanted the boy named after him, whereas I didn't want two of them under one roof! I loved Ewan, Oliver, Thomas but all got a no. We eventually agreed on Stephen - thankfully as it's a boy!
  • Lola - thank goodness I'm not alone! My Hubby comes up with names (and is quite serious) like Amadeus, Conan, Orson, Arwen, Samson ....... the list goes on! I'm not going to show him your post or he may add Vlad to his list!

Gill x
    LolaP and Gmac my oh is EXACTLY the same. He wants us to call our daughter Ariadne - seriously. I put my foot down...He also likes Alexandria which is a bit more normal bt I don't rly like it - I definitely want to call her Jennifer.

My mum's name is Jenny but she likes all the weird names and was going to call me Charity out of the Dickens novel Martin Chuzzlewit. She's a bit obsessed by Dickens names actually, that's why she called me Philippa and I was known as 'Pip' until I went to school just like in Great expectations. She also liked the names Blanche and Mathilde.

Thank god my dad must have seen sense!!!
  • well i'm forum jumping here but my o/h was tha same when trying to pick a name for our ds he wanted to call him maximus (not max) or lynx (can't even spell that one!) from zelda game! i put my foot down and called him luke!
    hope you can find out the sex of baby at scan or you might still be arguing at the birth! lol! hope they dont have their legs crossed for you!
  • Have read lots of these posts, and they made me smile. I am a Reception teacher, and we certainly have some interesting names in this year's intake - just one plea to ALL parents who are considering the more 'unusual' names - it may be cute now, just think of your child when they go to secondary school - will they still be able to live with that 'interesting' name then??? When they're 15? 25? 55????? By all means, be individual - just don't burden your child with a name that's going to make them stand out like a sore thumb!!! Having said that, hubby and I can't come up with any boys names we like, so we're screwed!!
  • I havent decided on any names yet. me and oh havent even discussed it but ready your post I think you have already made your mind up... u mentioned one name twice!!! lol

xxxxx
  • Have read lots of these posts, and they made me smile. I am a Reception teacher, and we certainly have some interesting names in this year's intake - just one plea to ALL parents who are considering the more 'unusual' names - it may be cute now, just think of your child when they go to secondary school - will they still be able to live with that 'interesting' name then??? When they're 15? 25? 55????? By all means, be individual - just don't burden your child with a name that's going to make them stand out like a sore thumb!!! Having said that, hubby and I can't come up with any boys names we like, so we're screwed!!
    Lol that made me laugh.

My mum's a teacher at a special needs school and her friend taught reception at a different school, you wouldn't believe some of the names. This was about 10 years ago, I was only 9 or 10 but even then I laughed at the names. One kid was called Esmerelda (eek!) but the absolute worst was a little boy whose mother had named him Thomas, Tommy for short, fine you may think, cute, BUT when he was 3 or 4 she CHANGED his name...to Phabrice! Or Fabrise I dunno how you spell it! Oh dear.
  • I like Ryan Thomas for a boy, and hubby likes Scarlet Rose for a girl.
  • I like the traditional names - have chosen Thomas Michael (Tommy) for a boy but have gone unusual for a girl, Dilana Jayne. Is it worse when they get to school to have an unusual name or to be 1 of many with the same name in a class? Decisions, decisions!!!!
  • My OH made a good point (doesn't happen often!!) when we were making our choices. He was suggesting names like claire, louise etc. I said no as I felt these names were really popular and i know loads of people called these but he suggested that it is people our age that these names are popular with, more than the kids at school now,
    so these names would prob not be that common in a class now.
    I suppose that is true as when i was at school ( i am 27), there were loads of Laura(like me), louise, lindsays and claires but you hear of babies called these less now. When i think of most of my male friends there are loads of kevins, alans and craigs but again less so now.
    I suppose it depends on your memories of these people whether you like the name or not!!!
    We eventually settled on Eva which is not too popular but not too weird either but took whole 9 mnths to decide!
    xx

• good point that the popular names are different in different generations. i'm keeping an eye on the top 10 names that gets published each year - they're all really nice names but hoping to avoid something that's too popular!

Me and my oh completely disagree on names too. He keeps trying to catch me out by suggesting names that are related to his favourite football team (which incidentally is not the same as my favourite football team!!).

My plan is to pick some names and suggest them to him straight after the birth - the idea being that he'll be so mesmerised by the lo he'll agree to anything :lol:

also just wanted to make a suggestion to anyone (particularly those picking a slightly unusual name) make sure that it's spelt correctly!!!! I've come accross so many people who's parents clearly didn't check out a name dictionary before they headed off to the registry office...
    (i dont want to offend anyone who's got an unusually spelt name - i'm thinking more about the peopl who's name is just spelt wrong!)

Gr
  • Ha ha gr2007 you must be gutted if you did that!!

My OH have said when we have a baby we can have owen (hargreaves) oliver (ole gunnar solksjaer) wayne (rooney) but definately not steven (gerrard) or mark (owen). he is a massive utd fan but doesnt seem to notice that owen appears on the ok and not ok list!!!! I have said owen and oliver are acceptable but im just waiting for him to suggest rio!

One thing is for sure when we do have a baby he is NOT registering the birth lol
  • i'm feeling pretty confident that i'll get to pick a name i like (and of course it will be spelt correctly!!!!). I wont be letting the OH go off and register the birth though just in case lol

• Lol that made me laugh.

My mum's a teacher at a special needs school and her friend taught reception at a different school, you wouldn't believe some of the names. This was about 10 years ago, I was only 9 or 10 but even then I laughed at the names. One kid was called Esmerelda (eek!) but the absolute worst was a little boy whose mother had named him Thomas, Tommy for short, fine you may think, cute, BUT when he was 3 or 4 she CHANGED his name...to Phabrice! Or Fabrise I dunno how you spell it! Oh dear.

Fabrise? That sounds like a detergant!! Poor kid!

Anyone who wants a laugh on bad baby names should have a look at this site - its hilarious!! http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html

As for not letting hubby go register the birth - I thought you had to go together if both names were going on the birth certificate!

As for initials spelling out words - try not to!! I spent my school years trying to keep my middle name quiet cause my initials are dumb... same as my dads so my parents excuse was if my dad can handle it - so could i. Nope.. I think i was sick of the stupid dumbass jokes by the time i hit 10..and they don't get any better! Unfortunately even after getting married i still have the same initials!

hubbys parents method of naming him was funny..they put all the names they liked into a hat and named him the first 2 they pulled out!

i think we'll be sticking with normally spelled names that aren't on the top of the latest lists of popular baby names.. poor hubby was scared enough after readong some baby name books at the weird names in there - definately normal names for our boy!
  • i'm with you kia! normal, properly spelled, not too common names for me. My husband hasn't been coming up with anything too outrageous just rubbish names!!!!

i didn't know you both had to go to register office so thanks for that (although its a good 7 months away for me). I think we probably would want to go together anyway.

isn't giving someone a name a huge responsibility ?!?!?