Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Might as well take the shirt off my back!!

Hello ladies
I have a wedding 3 weeks before my edd. In an attempt to divert from my size, I am having nails, hair etc done (who am I kidding?!) Anyway, now my sister tells me that she had to take all her polish off in hospital so they could monitor the colour under her fingernails (toenails included). Anyone know what thats all about? She had a section so maybe thats why?
Anyway, without sounding completely shallow, I am worried I am wasting my money by having a lovely set of acrylics put on, only to have them taken off a week later. Any thoughts?
xx

Replies

• Im not sure to be honest hun, Ive never heard that myself but I dont know-Im far from being an expert.
    Maybe you should speak to the hospital or your midwife and see what they say.
    I hope everything goes well with the wedding anyway xxxxxx

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;28/st/20080729/dt/5/k/9e45/preg.png

• Your sister is right but the reason is because she had a section. You would have had to take at least one full nail off so they could monitor your nail bed colour (make sure you're oxygenated). As I presume you are having a normal birth, you should be ok - you would only have to remove one quickly in the event of emc.

However, you do realise that after 2-3 weeks you would need to go back to get them infilled?

Enjoy the wedding and I'm sure you'll look gorgeous!xx
  • Thanks ladies.
    Karen, yeah I know about the infills, I'm kidding myself that I'll have the time inclination and money to keep looking like a wag!!
    Lo is transverse just now so there is quite a high possibility that I will have a section. However, my nail appointment next week is after my mw appointment so should have more of an idea and might be able just to get file and polish rather than the full set.
    xx
  • I had no idea about this!!!

I am having an elective section and I havent heard about having to have my nails taken off! I have had them for years - am now having a mad attack that I will see what damage I have done to them over the years!!!! My best mate does them for me and I was planning a really lovely set - just to help me feel a little bit human!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH
  • can you keep them on if your having a normal birth do you know? and do they tell you to take them off later in pregnancy or do they take them off you if needs be and how?
    I've had mine on ages always get them done that and my hair ... lol i know it sounds vain but they are my little treats and ive got soooo big during pregnancy it keeps me feel human even if i do waddle and walk lol x
  • Bloody hell - you lot make me look slack! I'm a beauty therapist and do nails (and hair up for occasions) but I'm such a lazy cow I don't get anything done - probably cos I'm too tight to pay anyone else to do it when I know I can do it myself!

Just a little plea though - make sure you get your nails taken off properly ladies - if they have been applied properly (i.e. nail beds not filed before application - they should just be buffed) and they're taken off properly (long soak in acetone) then your nails should be fine - make sure they are nourished with professional oils and strengthener applied by your technician before you leave the salon.

(I sound like a right do gooder don't I - if only I treated my own self as good as my clients LOL)xx
  • Bloody hell - you lot make me look slack! I'm a beauty therapist and do nails (and hair up for occasions) but I'm such a lazy cow I don't get anything done - probably cos I'm too tight to pay anyone else to do it when I know I can do it myself!

Just a little plea though - make sure you get your nails taken off properly ladies - if they have been applied properly (i.e. nail beds not filed before application - they should just be buffed) and they're taken off properly (long soak in acetone) then your nails should be fine - make sure they are nourished with professional oils and strengthener applied by your technician before you leave the salon.

(I sound like a right do gooder don't I - if only I treated my own self as good as my clients LOL)xx
  • Spedshaw, I bought a wrapover dress from Isabella Oliver online. It's quite pricey but the stuff is gorgeous. Halle Berry and Minnie Driver both wore her stuff while they were pregnant. I also have 2 weddings in July so thought maybe the dress could do me for them (although I will have had lo by then) and hide any leftover lumps, which is why I didn't mind spending too much on it.
    xx
  • I have had 2 sections so far an another within the next few weeks, With my my first it was an emergency and no one mentioned my nails, but with the second the MW said i would have to remove all polish and handed me some alkaline to do it. Made my nails go dry and very brittle which was horrible, I was so annoyed as they had grown beautiful during being pregnant. My advice would be to clean of any polish before goin in or def bring your own remover incase you are told you have to.
  • I had extentions when I ws rushed in when my appendix ruptured, they used my toes as could just clean the paint off them, talk to you mw and say it's for a specail time and I'm sure she might be able to put in you notes to use your toes!

Hope it helps hun, Good luck with the wedding.

-x-

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev363ps___.png

• omg!!! never heard that!!!! I have had acrylic overlays on my nails for a yr now and have them done once a month and now I'm really worried that they will make me take one or more off if I have section (which is possible cos had one with my first - didn't have overlays then tho).
    I love my nails - hving nails and hair done regularly keeps me feeling human!!! boo hoo....
  • They can use your toes instead, so should treat yourself anyway! you deserve it!