Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• Options

My daughter is 6 and she had nits last summer. It was a nightmare. I tried so many brands but nothing worked. then overtime i washed her hair i put extra condoner and combed with this special knit comb, thats the only thing which worked. Took me a while but i did that regular! Thank god for the its all over now... 

• Options

It always seems to be the same children that are more susceptible- like some smell nicer to lice! My eldest and youngest got them quite often (once or twice a year on average) my middle one never got them once. Once I found Lyclear I relaxed though as it actually works. Everything I'd tried up until then needed redoing a number of times and you had no confidence it was working.

• Options

Head lice has done the rounds at preschool and now my eldest is at school but amazingly we’ve managed to avoid them!

• Options

My daughter only got them once when she started senior school of all places, took months to get riid of them completely and having her gorgeous long thick hair cut was the eventual key to eradicating them. i spent every night combing her hair wi tea tree conditioner and a nit comb! Nightmare 

• Options

I had the unpleasant experience of being turned away from a hairdresser when my mum took me. I no longer had nits at time but was turned away because of the empty eggs left behind, I had dark hair so they were more obvious. This was back in the day before we had the internet to look up hacks to get rid of the dead eggs!

• Options

Growing up I was always taught that having my hair in super tight plaits would prevent me from getting them. And I never did! So now my daughter has the same. Two tight plaits and so far been fine! 

• Options

I remember having them as kids, my Mum must have had to collect me from school because of them one day as I very clearly remember telling the school Secretary that maybe my Dad would have the treatment this time as he hadn't before- the glare from my Mum is what's kept that in my head for so long.....whooops!!!! (We did all get treated and that was the end of them for a while!)

• Options

I remember the horrors and shame kids my age at primary school felt before it was known that lice prefer clean hair! If I still had primary age kids I'd have Lyclear on permanent standby in the bathroom cupboard. 

• Options

We had an outbreak while my son was in nursery, he passed them on to the whole house, including his 6 month old sister, I spent an entire day delousing everyone. 

At some stage I got delirious from the boredom and monotony of it and started imaging being in the classroom with David Attenborough. 

"Here we see 2 young children playing together closely, an ideal opportunity for the lice to spread" Then zoom in and see them crawling to the friends head. 

I literally cry when the kids bring home the dreaded letter.

• Options

Nits can't jump, they can only crawl which is why they pass so easily amongst younger children who always have their heads together.I used to have an electronic nit zapper which was great fun to use, we always made a game of it...very unwelcome but not a big deal these days with such good treatments like Lyclear around.

• Options

I'm trying to keep my girls hair tidy in a plait, every time they go school/nursery. 

• Options

I specifically remember my mum covering our heads with vinegar it absolutely stank (put me off it until a few year ago!) and then for weeks after wes have our hair that tight our eyes slanted with ten tonne of gel or hairspray on to keep it up 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

• Options

I think there is still a stigma about nits

• Options

I highly recommend the storybook, 'Topsy and Tim Have Itchy Heads' which teaches kids (and parents) how to deal with headlice and that there is nothing to be ashamed of.

• Options

Hi. Mine fortunately haven't had nits. I hope they never do. I use tea tree spray to try and combat this. I think I would feel a bit like eeewwww if they got them. Just because they suck blood and lay eggs. I don't suppose that is too pleasent. It would mean 6 people being treated if the sid ao fingers crossed our tea tree solutiin works.

• Options

Hi. Mine fortunately haven't had nits. I hope they never do. I use tea tree spray to try and combat this. I think I would feel a bit like eeewwww if they got them. Just because they suck blood and lay eggs. I don't suppose that is too pleasent. It would mean 6 people being treated if the sid ao fingers crossed our tea tree solution works.

• Options

I never had them as a kid but, my Mum, as a primary school teacher got them a few times. We were Derbac-ed to within an inch of our lives. 

My four year old daughter caught them and it was the hairdresser who noticed. We had to make a trip to get some special shampoo instead of the haircut. I think she was ok as she got special shampoo and still got a haircut the following week (she likes the hairdressers rather a lot). 

• Options

I remember getting nits as a child when I was about 6, my little girl is 4 and just started nursery. I just know she will get nits at some point but not something I have had to deal with yet!

• Options

Oh, I dread the emails from school notifying of headlice. Make me instantly itchy...

Everytime we get the email I go for full blown treatment for the family and then keep scratching my head for a week. So far BTW none of the kids actually had any

It's all in one's head :-)

• Options

Growing up I’d get nits A lot. My mum would always treat my hair and get rid of them and Friday nights became nit night with 5 girls taking it in turns to be lotioned up. Unfortunately the neighbours and some parents at school weren’t as vigilant and didnt treat their children’s hair so we ended up getting Them again and again and again. Even in my teens

I became very paranoid about lice even though I eventually managed to get clear and stay clear. 

Then when my son was two we we were cuddled on the sofa and I saw something in his hair move. I looked closer and sure enough he’d got nits in nursery and I was paranoid the cycle would begin again but touch wood 4 years later he hasn’t had them since. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions