Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

WRONG DATES OR STOPPED GROWING

Hi, I went for an early scan beacuse from my last period I should have been around 6/7 weeks pregnant. The girl at the private scan said I was either earlier on and concieved later or I had stopped growing. She said what she seen on the screen was about 3-4 weeks (only the small sack)

Replies

• Hi Debs, do you know what was the size of sack? My sac was still empty at 4+5 weeks (confirmed date with later scan). It's also possible that you ovulated later or implanted later. To know for sure you will need another scan in few days. Good luck xx

• Hi Mag1988 Thanks for replying. I dont know the size but I could attached the image she gave me 2 show you. The private scan place has booked me back in for the 1st of march 2 rescan. i just thought cause my last period was 01/01/19 I was about 7 weeks. After the scan I went and bought a clear blue weeks test which said `pregnant 3+`.xx

• Digital 3+ means over 5 weeks pregnant from last period which is good. I wouldn't worry yet unless you're bleeding. If you are bleeding or have any other worrying symptoms contact your EPU and they can perform early pregnancy scans from 7 weeks. 

I understand that it was transvaginal scan? At this point sac is probably measuring around  3-7mm. Skills of the sonographer and accuracy of particular ultrasound machine are also important when looking at something that small. 

• Hi Debs90,

I didn't even have a sac showing until I was 6 weeks, so I'm sure you're fine. When I went at 5 weeks there wasn't anything in my uterus yet (at least anything they could see). I went back at 6 weeks and they saw the sac, no heartbeat yet and then at 8 weeks they found a heartbeat and there was a little peanut in there.

I'm sure everything is fine, everyone ovulates at different times (some early, some right at day 14 and some late).

• Hi Ladies, I am a little concerned. I went for my first scan on Monday. I have been told there is a 50/50 chance my pregnancy is not viable. The obstetrician said the gestational sac was small for how many weeks my LMP was. He has sent me for HCG tests. I am going crazy! Any advice is appreciated 
  • Hi @Ticks88 - Please take a deep breath and try not to panic. Why is it that you went for the scan in the first place? Was it a routine scan or was there a reason you went for it?

In terms of the sac being small for how many weeks your LMP was, a very common reason for this is ovulating late. Before the dating scan, your conception date is assumed to be 14 days after your LMP, but if you ovulated later then you wouldn't be as far along in your pregnancy as doctors would expect which is why they'll be double-checking with a blood test. The pregnancy blood test will show you for sure, they'll take your blood and test HCG, they should then get you back for a repeat test 48 hours later and test it again. They won't be too bothered what the exact level is, the important thing is that your HCG should roughly double after 48 hours if the pregnancy is viable. 
  • @Ticks88 try not to worry so much it’s still very early I went for a scan at 6 weeks and they couldn’t really see anything they said and so sent me for hcg to be measured I am now 22 weeks with a healthy baby boy xx
  • @Ticks88 hi lovely. I was just wondering what the outcome was for you. 

I went for a reassurance scan when I thought I was 9 weeks, turns out I’m measuring around 6-6.5, I have a healthy yolk but no heartbeat yet. The women was really hung up on my period date which was 23 August. But I know my peak day before ovulation was 6th September and obviously need time to ovulate and implant. 

Does anyone know if this is a bad sign or has anyone experienced the same? Xxx
  • Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage on the 9th of November. I was 8 weeks. The embryo stopped growing at 5.3 
  • @Ticks88 I’m so sorry. I also mc on the 8th, I was 11 weeks but it didn’t grow past 6 weeks. 

Hope you’re as well as you can be. I’m always here if you need anything. Just private message at any time ❤️
    Sending lots of love ❤️❤️
  • Thankyou. I am not sure how to private msg. I hope you are ok 
  • It says private message at the end of your comment ❤️