Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Are current breastfeeding messages unhelpful?

Replies

• I struggled with breastfeeding. I tried and tried, but we had to give up at 12 weeks, and that was 12 weeks of breastfeeding, supplemented with formula. I had a traumatic birth, my milk didn't come in until 6 days later, and I spent those 6 days with various midwives chastising me for not managing it. I felt so very guilty. I still do. It hurts just to think about it even now he's 8 months old.

I wish the breastapo had been more like the one supportive midwife who told me that she had topped up with formula, and her kids had all turned out OK.

The pressure they put on vulnerable new Mums is awful. I would like more helpful advice and guidance, and less of this 'You're not a woman unless you can breastfeed exclusively for 6 months of longer'
  • I've been breastfeeding my son for 23 months now. I had trouble at the start with latch problems and bad positioning. The response from the midwives that I saw was that he was getting enough milk so I must be doing it right and 'of course' it is a bit painful at first! At 3 weeks I saw a lactation consultant at my local Children's Centre who had as much time as I wanted to sit with us 1 to 1. This was the turning point for our breastfeeding future and without this help I wouldn't have been able to continue feeding my son.

New mums need support with breastfeeding. It is not something that you automatically know how to do, it's a skill that has to be learnt. I've now trained as a Breastfeeding Peer Support worker so that I can help other mums who may be struggling.

Instead of thinking up more ways to push breastfeeding, money should be spent on the lactation support service. Midwives may not have the time to support breastfeeding mums and the lactation consultants are trained in all aspects.
  • I've been breastfeeding my daughter for 10 weeks now but in the 2nd week I need to express as the pain was bad and also I wanted a break in the night so my husband could feed her. Without my electric breastpump I don't think I would have managed and would have gone to formula! I got told off by my health visitor and one of the midwives for expressing and give her a bottle too early but 10 weeks on I'm still breastfeeding so who cares? It's your baby and your body!
  • i have bottle fed all 6 of my children and none of them have had lots of illnesses nor have they been sicky babies.a lot of women are made to feel guilty by their choice of feeding and they should not be made to feel that way.it is up to a mum how she feeds her child.