Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Perineal Massage?!!!!

2»

Replies

• The Pregnancy Bible by Dr Deans suggests that you start this at 34 weeks. I have been warning hubby that it is something he will have to do when I get there as there is no way I am going to be able to do it! At least that way he is prepared for it : )

He's still not going to be that keen though!
  • OMG- this is soooo not something i want my oh to be doing!!! Sounds like the most un-sexy thing i can think of!!!
    i'm 36wks so if i'm gonna do it really should give it a go now i suppose! for those of you that have experience with this - Thumbs- do they mean both, at the same time????!!!!??? LOL
  • OMG- this is soooo not something i want my oh to be doing!!! Sounds like the most un-sexy thing i can think of!!!
    i'm 36wks so if i'm gonna do it really should give it a go now i suppose! for those of you that have experience with this - Thumbs- do they mean both, at the same time????!!!!??? LOL
  • i have just read what it envolves and umm maybe av a go myself rather than ask OH to help as i know for a fact he will turn it into "something else".
    LOL
    i am 38 weeks, does any 1 think this will still work so late on?xx
  • OMG - they have videos of episiotomies in YouTube??? Eeek!
  • Apparently so!! Ages ago there was a programme on called "Dawn gets a Baby" and she was watching an episiotomy on You Tube, so I guess where's there's one, there will be more!!
  • OMG I just read how you actually do this and cringed.
    xx
  • As far as the perineal massage goes i dont think i will be trying it. I was fine the last time and hopeing for the same this time round.

As for youtube it has everything. My OH and my friend have told me to stop watching things on it as i just end up scareing myself :lol:

Lindsay 23+5
  • Im willing to give it a go, I had an episiotomy with my son and would try anything to avoid it the second time, does anyone know if doing it actually works second time around? Ive bought some Zita West Down Under Oil and im all prepared for my third trimester

Georgie 14+5 xx
  • Oh my Lord is all i can say to this! I was going to give it a go but im not so sure now! I'll have to see what the outcome is with he girls that are due before me!! x
  • Hi, I had an episiotomy with my first he was delivered by ventouse and forceps, and I asked my midwife about this when I was pregnant with my second. She said it's fine to do the full massage with your first, but not to with second and subsequent babies in case it starts anything off. She suggested I just rub oil into the outside, on the perineum. I never got round to this, and had a second degree tear next to my episiotomy scar - I never felt it happen though, and Noah is 25 days old and I've had no pain or discomfort so far. I think it would probably have happened even if I had used oil, although if I was to have a third I guess I'd give it a go just so I'd tried everything xx
  • OMG im so embarassed! i text my OH saying 'would you be able to do a perineal massage on my cos i won't be able to reach' and he just text back saying he's put on facebook 'does anyone know what a perineal massage is? laura needs one'. ARGH! now everyone will know! AAAAAARGH!

lau

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev107pr___.png

• Laura - that is so funny! Get your OH to take it down now! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! xx
  • ok phew ... panic over ... just spoke to my OH and he said he hadnt actually put it on there and text me that to scare me. thank f**k for that! what a nasty man tho! honestly some blokes ...

lau

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev107pr___.png

• How funny - what a bugger lol! x
  • Ha ha ha!!! That is seriously funny.

When it comes to any embarrassment or awkwardness over doing perineal massage. ANYTHING has got to be better than tearing or an episiotomy. 6 weeks of discomfort 5-10min a day for no tearing and scarring? Well isn't it a no brainer? It's got to be done!

Niblett xxxxx
  • Hi everyone

There is no need to panic. I went to a Fitness in Pregnancy class today at the local hospital physio department. You don't need to do the massage on the area itself. All you need to do is get a core stability ball and do hip rotations on it and that massages and stretches the perineal area from 36 weeks onwards.

Sounds a lot less hassle to me for the same effect!!!!:\)

Hope that helps