Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Itching!

Hi all

I posted this earlier but it seems to have disappeared so I've waited 30-mins or so and decided to re-post! Sorry if it dupes!

I know we need to monitor itching in pregnancy but how serious does the itching need to be before we should get very concerned?

I have been having a bit more itching recently - well I think its more itching, as I have quite dry skin normally so do itch anyway...

Its on the tops of my feet every now and again... the tops of my hands, wrists and sometimes the odd finger itches!!! LOL

Its definitely not what I'd class as severe itching so I guess I am just after reassurance that unless it gets really bad and unbearable then I should be ok.

Not seeing midwife until w/c 6 April and have a scan / consultant appointment a week today!

Joo xxx
35+4

Replies

• Hey hun, def call your midwife and let her know, she can send you up for a blood test to check your liver and rule out cholestasis. My itching is quite severe, but some people don't suffer as badly as others, so i would say get it checked out asap to be on the safe side xxx
  • Ditto what Lynz has said, its worth a quick call just in case I think!

Is this your last week at work Joo?

• No, the rest of this week and next!
    I am soooo bored and ready for finishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx
  • You are very good going to 37 weeks, I'm escaping at 36!! Just hope it goes fast now.. x
  • I'm annoyed now and don't know what to do!

I rang the midwife unit and spoke to a lady who said best to come in and get blood taken - at the Hospital. She said I could see my GP and then have them done at the Health Centre but speed wise, she recommends I go there.

I asked if she was sure it was necessary as the itching isn't severe (like when you get a bite and can't stop itching, its NOT like that!) and not regular at all but she said they'd prefer people to be seen and checked out anyway...

I'm just annoyed now because its more time out of work and I am hoping to sell my car tonight and possibly even let the girl have it tonight so I have no way of getting there tomorrow morning!

Do you think I am better off leaving work early tonight to go and have them done? Or not bother at all?

I was concerned enough to ring the midwife for advice but I thought the liver thing was only a concern when it was serious itching and it's def. not!!! So thought she'd tell me it's ok!

xxx
  • Oh and stupid midwife at the 'community team' I rang first (before being put through to delivery) told me its only a concern in later stages of pregnancy. So I said, did you hear me say I am nearly 36-weeks? that IS late to me! and she said no, its fine, but I'll put you through to delivery anyway!

rubbish!
    xxx
  • Get your bloods done asap Joo (please - sorry don't mean to be rude)
    If they do liver function tests they can flag if anything is wrong, but one of the results takes a week to get back - so best to do it as soon as. With my itching they tested in 3 parts, 2 results come back quickly, 1 takes a week, something like that.

x x
  • I've spoken to hubby and I'm going to leave work early today and go this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning.
    I'm just annoyed with myself for worrying again, especially if nothing is wrong.
    Its frustrating when you ask for time off work etc. and I know in my heart my boss doesn't mind in the slightest and is incredibly supportive but it didn't stop me from crying at her!!!

Thanks for encouraging me to go, I know its the right thing to do xxxxxxx
  • I'm so glad you're going today, and you have such a supportive boss,
    Take care x x x
  • joo hunni, it's ok to worry!!! it's always better to get checked out and it be a false alarm, than to leave it and something dreadful happens!!!! as for your cm team, i'm shocked!!! i hate how blase some of these mw's can be!!!! keep us posted hunni xxxxx
  • Thanks for being so nice everyone!
    Had my bloods taken, results on Thursday. Got a prescription for Piriton and Aqueous cream (sp?) too.
    They monitored Angus for an hour whilst I was there - he's doing grand and put on a nice show of activity!
    More protein in my pee but the results of the sample from last week are fine so def. nothing to worry about protein in pee wise!
    xxxxx
  • I'm glad you went up hun, i know what you mean about going up and waiting around only to be told everything is fine, but OC is so serious, its always better to be safe than sorry! Hopefully all your results come back fine. Cant believe how long it takes for some peoples results, my hospital usually have them within a few hours!! xxx
  • ohhhh this must be the bloody thing iv been diagnosed with god it drives me nuts i itch on my feet ankles hands legs the pissing lot they have given me some pyriton 4 it and some other stuff and im haveing vit k wen i have section its vile the sooner i get baby out the better they r getting her out at 38 weeks cos of this itchy thingy pregnancy fleas as i call it lol xxx
  • Sounds a bit like PUPPP to me but not such a severe form. I have had it and had an itchy stomach and hands. Unfortunately for me it spread to my arms and legs. Mine also developed at 35 weeks which is the usual time. I was also prescribed an antihistamine but i was given eurax cream to begin with.

If it continues pester your GP for betnovate cream as it worked wonders for me but you have to use it sparingly.

Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP), also known as polymorphic eruption of pregnancy, is the most common rash in pregnant women. It normally occurs in first pregnancies during the third trimester with an average onset of 35 weeks. Thankfully, PUPPP does not usually affect subsequent pregnancies.

Appearance of PUPPP
    The rash of PUPPP almost always begins in the stretch marks (striae) of the abdomen. It does not involve the belly button distinguishing it from other common rashes of pregnancy. The rash itself consists of small, red wheals in the stretch marks that grow together to form larger wheals on the abdomen. Sometimes the rash can include small vesicles. Over the next several days, the rash can spread over the thighs, buttocks, breasts, and arms.

The rash is very itchy, or pruritic, hence the name. This condition is harmless to mother and baby, but can be very annoying. It lasts an average of 6 weeks and resolves spontaneously 1 to 2 weeks after delivery. The most severe itching normally lasts for no more than 1 week.

Cause of PUPPP
    The cause of PUPPP is unknown. It is not associated with preeclampsia, autoimmune disorders, hormonal abnormalities, or fetal abnormalities. Some investigators suggest that the rapid abdominal wall distension damages connective tissue and causes an inflammatory response. One study has shown that male fetal DNA can be found in skin biopsies of the rash. Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant.

Diagnosis of PUPPP
    The diagnosis of PUPPP is clinical, meaning it is based solely on the appearance of the rash. There are no laboratory tests that detect PUPPP. Skin biopsies are not generally performed unless there is a question about the diagnosis.

Em 40+9 x