Forum home Product Tests Product tests

Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice: the feedback review thread

DanielleMFMDanielleMFM admin
edited Jul 2, 2019 12:34PM in Product tests

Hello.

This is the feedback thread for those of you who are testing the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice, as part of our latest MadeForMums product test.

Please give us your feedback on this thread by answering the following 5 questions and providing your pictures:
1. How easy did you find cooking the Uncle Ben’s rice?
2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice?
3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice. (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box).
4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money?
5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents?

Everyone who leaves quality feedback by answering all 5 questions and providing pictures (and is part of our product test) will be entered into a draw to win the £300 Amazon voucher.

Thank you so much – and good luck!

Note: Any comments and pictures you post on our Feedback thread may be used by Uncle Ben’s in future marketing material. See full Ts&Cs here.

Replies

• 1. How easy did you find cooking the Uncle Ben’s rice?
    The rice was super easy to cook. Tear a corner of the packet and microwave for two minutes. 
    My partner loved it. My daughter really enjoyed it and ate all hers. My son who is 8 wasn’t keen on the pepper and was reluctant to eat it. But he did try it and said he’d eat more next time. 
    3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice. (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box).
    4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? 
    I think it’s great value for money especially as we had no waste 
    Highly recommend. This is going to be a staple food in our cupboards 
    Incredibly easy! The instructions are so clear and easy to follow. The best bit...no need for any pots or pans!
    2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice? We all agreed that we thought it was delicious and went great with our dish. I loved that it was colourful which made it more exciting for the children as we usually eat plain white rice. Peppers and sweetcorn are a firm favourite here so luckily there were no arguments or picky eaters. It had flavour but was not overpowering, it complimented the rest of the food nicely. 
    3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice. (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box).
    4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? We’re a household that is on a budget so this is not an option that would suit us long term compared to a regular pack of rice (we are frequent rice-eaters!). However, as I work night shifts, the couple hours I have after school are crucial! Anything that helps save time whilst not compromising on quality/nutrition/taste is a good thing. So in that respect, I would say it’s good value for money. 
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents? Absolutely! Uncle Ben’s is a household name and this product really delivers. It’s so versatile and is one of those staple items that’s perfect to keep a supply in the cupboard in case you’re caught short and don’t have long to cook a meal. It’s also great to go with the leftover chilli you’ve got stored in the freezer! 
  • We thoroughly enjoyed his rice and I loved the fact that it was so simple to prepare. On an evening when we have been caught in town shopping or my husband is home mage from work we can still have. A really tasty and healthy meal in record time. Tonight we had pies, u cne bens vegetable rice and lots of veggies. Thoroughly yummy x
  • We thoroughly enjoyed his rice and I loved the fact that it was so simple to prepare. On an evening when we have been caught in town shopping or my husband is home mage from work we can still have. A really tasty and healthy meal in record time. Tonight we had pies, u cne bens vegetable rice and lots of veggies. Thoroughly yummy x
    Hi @kirstygreer, thanks for the feedback so far. To be entered into the prize draw, please could you answer these questions too? Thanks! 

• Hi!  We all thought the rice was very tasty and flavoursome. It was a little sticky for my youngest but she prefers her rice fluffy

£4 for 3 is a bit on the expensive side for me but they are a good store cupboard essential for busy nights. 

I would def recommend these to other busy parents as they are a great combination of family friendly tastiness combined with speed and ease of preparation. Ideal to keep a few of for those nights with lots of clubs or the big weekly shop. 
  • Forgot to say they were super easy to prepare, my 12yo did it herself in the microwave!
    Really easy! The instructions were really easy to follow and it is helpful that the rice is already seasoned instead of having to add to it.

We all really liked it. It is really tasty and we liked the additional vegetables. It is a nice easy option which doesn't forfeit healthy eating.

Sticky, sweet chilli tofu with spring onions for us and scrambled, herby tofu for baby.

Yes especially as it is a quick and easy side to prepare full of vegetables.

Yes definitely. Grace really enjoyed the rice and ate her whole bowl. Also it made me satisfied that she is getting her veggies too!!!
    Very simple, stick in the microwave and go, couldn't be easier.
    A little bland by itself but is ok when with other flavourful ingredients. The boys, 3 & 1, ate it all easily and loved the mix of veg in it. 
    3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice.
     Spicy chicken enchiladas/burritos, great cupboard recipe quick easy and tasty.
    4.At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? 
    On the expensive side for an average family, convenient but rice is easy to cook and a standard bag does so many more meals. £3 for 3 packs is a bit more reasonable but not something we'd really buy on a budget.
    5.Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents?
    As a back up, occasional cupboard quick meal it's ok but I wouldn't say it's affordable as a regular buy. It makes a change to add to meals and it's easy for kids of any age.
  • How easy did you find cooking the Uncle Ben’s rice? Very easy to cook
    2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice? Very tasty!
    4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? Yes, good value
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents? Yes
    Incredibly easy! Tear one of the corners and pop in the microwave for 2 minutes, so quick which is great for family dinners! Just remember to open the corner otherwise you will end up with a rice explosion (easily done when you’re a sleep deprived mum, I’ve had my own experience!). 
    2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice? Hubby and I really enjoyed the subtle flavour of the rice. It was light, fluffy and a bit sticky which was great for the children as the baby could easily hold handfuls and it would stay on my 2 year olds spoon so she could happily feed herself. I got a *thumbs up* from my eldest and her little sister seemed to enjoy it too! Lovely bright coloured rice and a good amount of small veg included. One packet easily went between 4 of us (small portions for the children). The peas I have to admit looked a bit anaemic but the flavour was there!
    3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice. (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box). Pic uploaded. 
    4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? Definitely, considering a single pack at Tesco is currently £1.69, so 3 packs for £4 is a great price! 
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents? Yes, it’s easy and super quick to cook, has good flavour, low fat and you can keep a few packs in the cupboard for ages, always handy when you look in the fridge and have no idea what to cook! 
    Uncle Bens rice was very easy to cook! I opted to microwave it and it was quick and easy, just what I needed after a busy day with my girls.
    Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice went down a storm in our house. My 3 year old is a huge ‘ice’ fan. My husband usually only likes fried rice but even he demolished half the pack. I loved the fact there were vegetables in the rice. Always trying to up our vegetable intake. 
    I cooked a Hoi Sin Pork Stirfry with Uncle Bens Golden Vegetable Rice and garlic nan bread. po
    At £4 for a pack of 3, Uncle Ben’s rice is great value for money. One pack is the perfect amount for a evening meal for our family. Cooking the same rice, stock and vegetables from scratch would surely cost more and take a lot more time and effort.
    I would most definitely recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents. It is both nutritious and easy to prepare. My 3 year old cleared her plate - happy toddler happy mummy!
  • Wammer 

1. How easy did you find cooking the Uncle Ben’s rice ?

It couldn’t have been any easier. I’ve two teenagers so I feel confident I could leave them to cook dinner some evenings ! No excuses.
    2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice? Mixed comments. Firstly we nearly always have rice which I boil so the texture is very different. Uncle Ben’s is sticky rather than fluffy but to be fair Microwave rice is. My husband, myself and eldest son thought the Golden Vegetable was rather bland. We prefer something more spicy. I wish I had cooked a spicier main to go with the rice. But my youngest teenager enjoyed it. Reading other comments it seems this particular flavour is great for children or adults who do not like spicy food. I’ve since checked and maybe I will buy the Mexican style or Chinese although I do make my own egg fried rice and I see Uncle Ben has this flavour. During the summer months I do buy microwave rice as a side dish for BBQ’s.

3. We had Roast chicken salad, corn on the cob and rice. As I say, a very bland meal. Entirely the wrong choice for a spice loving family.
    4. At £4 for a pack of three pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? Tesco is currently selling this 250g at £1.69. Tesco own is 69p. Tilda £1.59. Honestly I do not feel it’s value for money. We are a family of four and used two bags. And the men of the house needed more to fill them. So I would need 3 bags at each meal.  This works out very expensive, hence why I boil and season my own. I think if they reduced the cost they may see sales increase but with supermarkets offering some excellent own brands it is difficult for any brand to compete. 
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Rice to other parents ?
    Again, mixed answer. Yes if money isn’t an issue and you do not need to watch what your spending. Yes if you need something quick and easy. Yes if your a student or your leaving the kids to make their own meals. Personally, it’s to expensive compared to other brands and I definitely need to watch the pennies when doing a weekly shop for a family with teenagers. We sat and all agreed we would always prefer the texture and taste of boiled rice to microwave rice but on the occasions when we do need a quick fix, a spicier rice would suit us. 

Very easy to cook, straight forward, no fuss or mess and no waiting around by a saucepan for 20 minutes!
    2. What did you and your family think about the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable rice?
    Great for the kids - no overpowering flavours. Would have liked potentially a bit more veg in there but we added extra peas and sweetcorn to bulk it out.
    3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish ...

Our favourite was when we made a beef summer curry! Quite spicy so the rice almost acted as a coolant - the kids loved it and wolfed it down!
    4. At £4 for a pack of three pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money?
    Unfortunately no, many supermarkets now do their own branded microwaveable rice for a lesser amount. I use microwave rice all the time and usually pay around 60p a packet. 1 packet did not cover enough for a family of 4, so we ended up using 2 and then there being a small amount left over - which is fine because we use for lunch the following day. What I will say however is that there was a nicer texture to the rice than those of other brands that I have tried before.
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Rice to other parents?
    Yes I would - although slightly more expensive than other brands, the texture and flavour was better than others. It’s an absolute life saver at meal times and saves a lot of hassle. Maybe if family sized portions were available this would sway me more.
  • Lisa Bee said:
    How easy did you find cooking the Uncle Ben’s rice? Very easy to cook
    2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice? Very tasty!
    4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? Yes, good value
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents? Yes
    Hi @Lisa Bee to be included in the prize draw, please upload a photo of your meal with the rice. 
    Thank you!  

It is super easy to cook. I made sure the rest of the meal was ready and then popped the rice in the microwave while plating up. Two minutes and it was done!

I’ve always tended to avoid microwaveable rice, that is until my baby started eating and quick healthy meals were the order of the day! I’ve since tried a couple of microwaveable rices but not Uncle Ben’s, so I was interested in trying his Golden Vegetable Rice. 

My husband and I both agreed that the consistency was a bit mushy and the vegetables sparse, but overall the flavour was nice and went well with the rest of our meal. I think it benefited from having a sauce. My son (14 months) really enjoyed it and wanted more once he’d finished his plate!

3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice.

Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice with mango & lime chicken, roasted tomatoes and green beans.

I think this is too much money compared to other microwaveable rices on the market and unfortunately it didn’t stand out enough to make me want to buy it for that price.

I would recommend it for the ease, but I’ve had other microwaveable rices that have more flavour and that cost less.

• edited Jul 10, 2019 9:31AM
    1. How easy did you find cooking the Uncle Ben’s rice? Very quick and easy 
    2. What did you and your family think of the Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice? I loved it and my husband liked it but my daughter wasn't too sure. 
    3. Done 
    4. At £4 for a pack of 3 pouches of rice, do you think this is good value for money? Yes because you can make a few different meals with the amount for a small family 
    5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents? Yes so easy to cook and you can add it too most meals and it's an extra way to get one of the five aday portions into children 

• Hi all! Here is my review of Uncle Ben’s Golden rice.

Incredibly easy! I cooked one pack in the microwave and one in a wok. I was worried that the microwave rice may be mushy but after emptying it into a bowl and fluffing up with a fork you would never have known it was microwaved!

We were surprised by how much we liked it! We never normally opt for packet rice, as we have tried other brands in the past an been disappointed as well as wary about the calorie and salt content. The flavour was lovely but not too overbearing so you could use it in a wide variety of dishes. My husband is always looking for ways to take quick and affordable lunches to work so this would be a great option.

I found the rice to be really versatile so I used it in a couple of ways. It was really hot overnight the weekend so we had a bbq with Jerk Chicken thighs and made a rice salad with the Uncle Bens by adding some fresh tomatoes, cucumber and red onion.

My husband worked late on Monday night so I made a quick curried lamb rice using leftover meat from our Sunday roast and some curry paste and frozen peas and mint mixed with yogurt. It was super tasty and took about 10 minutes to prepare and cook.

This is more then we would usually pay for rice especially now I am on maternity leave and money is tight. I was so impressed with this product however, I will probably keep a pack in my store cupboard as a quick an easy meal for when time is tight.

5. Would you recommend Uncle Ben’s Golden Vegetable Rice to other parents?
    I would do. We really liked this rice and it’s so adaptable and quick to use.
  • Hi all, here is my review of the Uncle Bens Golden Vegetable Rice we recently received! 

The Uncle Bens rice is so simple to cook...literally anyone can do it! Before I ripped open the pouch, I give it a little squeeze. This is to separate all the grains of rice and not to cook as one big clump that may stick together once cooked. Open the pouch and pop in the microwave for 2 minuets and then you are done! What more can be simpler than that! 

We loved the rice as a family! It’s so versatile and can work with many different dishes. The kids loved that it as wasn’t over loaded with veg and the flavours weren’t  to over powering! Myself & my husband through it had a great mix of veg but keeping the main ingredient as the rice! Gave a lovely taste. 

3. Please share with us a picture of your favourite dish that you cooked with the Uncle Ben’s rice. 

We used our rice as part of a Mexican feast which we love to enjoy as a family! 

£4 for 3 packs of rice is amazing value as 1 pack can serve two people! That put together with it’s super quick and easy cooking instructions makes it a perfect  accompaniment for meal times & is easily  accessible in shops. 

I would absolutely recommend this rice to anyone! It works on so many different levels! Quick & easy meals, great for BBQ’s, a healthy food alternative to other carbs. This Uncle Ben’s pouch offers great tasting hearty food at affordable prices....a big thumbs up from me!  

Super simple, really quick. Ideal for a quick side.

I think it’s great and my youngest son, 6, loved it! He wants me to switch to this rice.

This is my son’s favourite dish, not mine  :D

I preferred stuffed peppers but here it is... all his choice

Yes, it is economical for us

Definitely, it is tasty and quick

It was really easy to cook the Uncle Bens rice. After reading the instructions I saw that you could cook the rice in a pan not just in the microwave.

We all liked the rice. The children are not the biggest fan of vegetables so it is good to sneak some extra ones in there! 

We made “chicken Jambalaya” the recipe was really quick as we did not have to wait for the rice to cook and the vegetable rice added extra flavour. I work every other weekend and this was a really quick meal to make meaning that I had time to cook it and eat it with the children when I got home. The children also enjoyed helping to cook.

I do think £4 for 3 pouches is good value. We used two pouches to feed a family of 6. There is a good amount of rice in each pouch and its so quick and easy to use with lots of flavour that I would happily pay £4. 

I would recommend Uncle Bens Golden Rice to other parents. It is quick and easy to cook and can be added to lots of different meals. The added vegtables are good for the children. I would also be happy to give the children the rice for a quick snack or easy lunch as it is really tasty on its own. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions