Forum home Product Tests Product tests

Aldi School Uniform: the feedback and review thread

DanielleMFMDanielleMFM admin
edited Jul 1, 2019 11:12AM in Product tests
Hello. 

This is the feedback thread for those of you who are testing the Aldi School Uniform, as part of our latest MadeForMums product test.

Please give us your feedback on this thread by answering the following 4 questions and providing your pictures:
1. What do you think of the quality, durability, fit and washing of the uniform?
2. Knowing how much the uniform you have tested costs, how would you rate its value-for-money?
3. What does your child think of the uniform? Please post up your pictures of your child in the uniform with your reply (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box).
4. Would you recommend the Aldi school uniform to other parents? If yes, please say why. 

Everyone who leaves quality feedback by answering all 4 questions and providing pictures (and is part of our product test) will be entered into a draw to win the £200 Aldi voucher.

Thank you so much – and good luck!

Note: Any comments and pictures you post on our Feedback thread may be used Aldi in future marketing material. See full Ts&Cs here. 

Replies

• The uniform fit well, the trousers had adjustable elasticated waist band which we had to pull in to tighten them as they were too loose. The T-shirt was quite loose and roomy but my daughter doesn’t like it too tight. I washed the uniform before wearing it for the first time and it has since been washed another 2 times after wear. It has washed up well and didn’t become too creased and was easy to iron. 
    I would definitely say they were good value for money and enable parents on a tight budge provide
    their children smart uniform.
    My daughter is happy with the polo shirts and the socks but not as keen on the trousers. She said the material felt a bit itchy around the waist. She said she didn’t like the style as to her they look like boys (apart from the bows to the waist and the flower buttons - which are hidden by her T-shirt). She said they were easy to move around in though and lightweight.
    i would definitely recommend Aldi uniform to others as it’s such a great price and still of a good quality.
  • It's Trial Day 😁😁😃😃
    My little girl is tomboy and these pants have a subtle girly hunt to them but she loves them. So far they seem amazing quality and the the shirt sets off the smartness of the uniform, it's wash day tomorrow so let's how they fair then especially after a day playing with the boys at playtime!! 
  • The quality of the uniform was great, felt very good quality, if I hadn’t of known it was an Aldi uniform I’d of honestly thought it had come from Marks and Spencer’s or Next as it had the quality and feel of their uniforms. As this was for my three year old son who is always falling over and getting covered in dirt I did worry how it would wash up but it washed up brilliantly. Dirt and ketchup were gone from the T-shirt and that was washing on a 30 degree wash. T-shirt fit was fantastic, not too big and not too small, it fit my son just right. The trousers are a bit long even though my son is tall, but once his shoes were on it didn’t notice too much. 

I honestly think the infirm was great value for money, especially if parents have a tight budget. Buying school uniform is always expensive but Aldi’s range is cheap in price but not in quality. I have used many other leading supermarkets I’ve the years for both my children but this has honestly been the best I’ve tried. 

My little boy absolutely loved his new unrighteousness as you can see from the smile on his face. When I asked him if he liked it he said he loved it and it was very comfy.  
    I would definitely recommend Aldi’s school uniform to my friend and family. Great quality, a great price and washes up well, that’s all any parent wants from a school uniform. Well done Aldi on your uniform, you’ve made going back to school cheaper on every parents pocket. 
  • Knowing that Aldi is great for budget shopping, i was very pleasantly  surprised by the quality of these garments! The quality and durability was second to none! 
    The elasticity waistband was a bonus so it could be adjusted to fit the childs waist, I did find them a little long for my son so I will be  buying a smaller size.
    The shirt fitted well and was fabulous quality also, with a little pocket on the chest. 
    The uniform washed well,  the muck from my little 'footy nut' knees washed out really easiliy and the pleats stayed in the front of the trousers, making ironing a breeze.
    This could easily be mistaken for a higher end price ranged uniform because of its outstanding quality yet is the cheapest I have ever seen! 
    Had I not been a tester for the uniform I would not of considered buying clothing from Aldi, however this is genuinely second to none and I shall definitely be recommending and purchasing more for my children!
    Jamie gave it a big thumbs up, which is very unusual as he has sensory processing issues and hates the feel of alot of materials but had no issues with this! :)

• 1. What do you think of the quality, durability, fit and washing of the uniform?
    The quality and durability is fantastic.  I would say the fit was very generous - or maybe its just my child that is very skinny!!  The uniform washed really well and needed minimum ironing.
    2. Knowing how much the uniform you have tested costs, how would you rate its value-for-money?
    These uniforms are very good value for money, we have an Aldi at the end of our street so it will be very easy for me to go when the uniform hits the shop and get what I need for September.  I have a 5 year old son as well and his trousers don't last long at all so I will definitely be trying some trousers as they are such good value.
    3. What does your child think of the uniform? Please post up your pictures of your child in the uniform with your reply (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box).
    My daughter did like the uniform, she received shirts which she found a little bit different to the poloshirts that she is used to wearing but all in all she said they were very comfortable and she would be happy to wear them for school.
    4. Would you recommend the Aldi school uniform to other parents? If yes, please say why. 
    I would definitely recommend the Aldi school uniform to other parents as they were great quality (the pinafore dresses were really heavy and thick and kept their shape after washing without the need for ironing).
  • Leonna9Leonna9 Regular
    edited Jul 8, 2019 4:24PM
    1. What do you think of the quality, durability, fit and washing of the uniform?
    I think that the quality of the product particularly the socks and the Polo's was great however I didnt think that it was so obvious with the trousers. Hugo was unable to test the durability of them due to him not being at school just yet however I did get him to do some star jumps etc as you can see from the pictures, in a school environment I am not sure if the trousers would stand up as they felt quite startchy. All items washed well coming back into shape again for me the trousers creased quite alot. The fit was great minus the trousers which came up ridiculouoly large and I have a very big boy for his age.

With the above in mind I would without a doubt rate this as good value for money and I would purchase it purely as an emegency / spare set for this reason.

3. What does your child think of the uniform? Please post up your pictures of your child in the uniform with your reply
    Hugo said that the trousers were a bit itchy, the polo and socks were a great fit for him and he said they were comfertable he gets really annoyed at tags which I did leave in and he didnt mention that these botherd him so this is a great sign.

I would reccomend the ALDI uniform to parents who are on a budget or who have multiple children to buy for without a doubt, as I mentioned previously I would reccomend them as a great spare to have at nannys house etc. At this price point its a no brainer.

Thank you x 
  • So.... we loved the uniform! I was really pleasantly surprised by the softness and quality of it! Especially the shirt, as I was definitely expecting it to be quite stiff at that price. 
    We gave it a good test! Pulled at the buttons (they survived well) and split chocolate sauce and ketchup on the trousers and shirt. I then gave them just a quick 15 min wash- the ketchup came out no problem! The chocolate sauce faded a lot but needed a full 59min wash to remove. 
    The socks... I am in love with the socks as my son doesn’t shout ‘my socks are itchy!’ At me every morning! They fit really well and are soft!
    i would definitely recommend the uniform to other mums and dads.. at £6/7 it’s an unbelievable bargain without compromising on quality! 

• 1. What do you think of the quality, durability, fit and washing of the uniform?
    I was very pleased with the quality of the uniform and it washed very well. All the uniform remained very soft after washing. The fit was perfect for the age. Very pleased

Definitely. I would buy this uniform.

3. What does your child think of the uniform? 
    My daughter loves the uniform, as you can tell from the photo! She was especially pleased with the socks

Yes definitely. It is great value for money and a great buy. 
    * Pinafore Dress - Nice grey colour and my daughter loved the heart charm on the zip. The quality felt nice and thick and my daughter said it was comfy to wear. The Zipper undone and done up well without getting stuck on material. Stiching is good and the fit of it was on the bigger size, I really loved the length of it as my daughter is tall it was long enough ( what’s normally hard to find). It washed up well and kept colour after 3 washes. The only down side I would say is it creased loads when she moved/sat as can see in picture in it what I dident like but ironed well so atleast when she put it on it was all nice and ironed. Also dident shrink in wash either.
    *Shirts- I loved the fact these where generous around the neck and my daughter could do the top button up without it being to tight around neck. The quality of its nice as it’s thick and not see through. I would say it’s true to size however because my daughter is tall it was a little short to tuck in if was wearing trousers so would have to go up a size but then they would be too baggy what’s a shame, but fine to wear under pinafore. The sleeves also looked really wide and baggy for a girls shirt the arms would be a bit nicer if they wear fitted slightly better. When washing after 3 times still was white and washed nice and all the stains came out on a 30 degree wash. They dident shrink and also ironed well, not to Creasy. 
    *Tights - I was disappointed with the tights. The Quality of them was not great as soon as they stretched a little they looked horrible and see through. My daughter also said they where itchy and dident like them compared to her normal tights. They need to be sorter and thicker. They also where super quick to get holes in my daughter got one in the first day ! They washed up good and dident shrink. The fit was small so would recommend going up a size otherwise they would just look see through.
    * White Knee high socks - I loved these impressive quality. The durability was also good as they where lovely and thick and they kept there colour even after getting dirty. The fit is fantastic if not a little on the big side and my daughter has long legs and they came up to the knee what was brilliant as they normally come up short on her. She loved wearing them as said they where super comfy and soft. They washed well and dident shrink and the dirt came off them on a standard 30 degree wash.
    The pinafore,socks and Shirts are fantastic value for money. I would say they would be in line with more expensive school uniform. If I dident have the opportunity to test this I wouldent have tried them out as I thought they where value and poor quality. But I can now say my mind has changed and value and quality of this uniform is great. I can’t belive how cheap they are and I think it definitely helps the working class family’s that need quality and value for money. Expecially when children go through it so quickly. However I would not buy the tights as they did look and feel like the cheap price tag. I would defo pay the extra and get softer and thicker ones from another retailer, what’s a shame as all the other bits my daughter tested where great.
    3. What does your child think of the uniform? Please post up your pictures of your child in the uniform with your reply (To upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the ‘Add Your Comment’ box).
    My daughter is a girly girl and loved the pinafore dress and knee high socks in particular. She loved the heart charm on the zipper to the pinafore dress too. She has sensory issues with certain materials and how the clothes feel on and she loved the feel except the tights what she said was itchy and uncomfortable and wanted to take off. 

I would recommend the pinafore and knee high socks without a doubt to other parents. I would say to them the quality and fit to the price tag is brilliant and really great for taller children in particular. Also because they wash well and even though I’ve only tested them for just over a week and washed them 3 times I belive they will last a reasonable length of time, what is every parents hope with uniform. The shirts I would also recommend as the price tag is great and the quality is good and it’s ok to have under a pinafore dress. However I would say if you child is tall and thinner then they would come up to short to tuck in and wear loose over trousers, also they look more boyish that girly. The tights I would not recommend and would say to avoid them as the quality fit and feel are unfortunately not great, and to pay a little extra and get better ones. Overall I would say to other parents for the price tag of these items you can’t  go wrong (except tights) and would say try them as I did( and I wouldent normally from aldi) and I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely be buying more socks and pinafore dresses from there. 

Thank you for letting us test these items.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the uniform as to be honest I didn't know what to expect. The tops were thick and didn't show her vest underneath which was great. The material was great quality and washed well, few creases so saved on ironing as well which was a bonus! The trousers were lovely, the detail on the waistband was really nice and added a girly touch, and again quality good and really thick and durable. Socks were amazing and so soft.

The cost is great value, 2 tops trousers and 5 socks for less than £6 cannot be argued with and as they grow so quick is is easy on the bank balance. Similar quality from other shops would be a lot more and I am more than happy with the Aldi clothes.

3. What does your child think of the uniform? 
    She liked it and was happy to put it on for nursery. She wanted to pose with her older sister in her own uniform to compare. It was a little big but she is small for her age so maybe introducing a smaller size than the current size 3 would be better.

Absolutely yes, great price and the quality is great. Washes well and anything that saves ironing time is surely a great selling point. Seems a small point but the socks in particular were great, so soft and apparently comfy in her opinion.

I didn’t know what to expect with regards to the quality because of the low price but I think the quality is Fantastic! It fit my son perfectly and once washed still kept it’s bright colour! The material wasn’t too thin either. 

I think it’s amazing value-for-money. 2 t-shirts, a pair of trouser & 6 pairs of socks all for around £5.50 you just can’t grumble at that! 

My son couldn’t wait to try the u from on and his actual words were ‘wow mum I look smarter than all the other boys in my class’ 😂 and to be fair he really did look smart! 
      At the end of the day he normally moans to get out of his uniform but he said it felt really comfortable.

Oh yes I would definitely recommend the Aldi school uniform! I can’t fault it 1 single bit! Fantastic quality, looks smart, washes well.....all for pennies! What more could a parent want?
  • 1. Quality is good, very very good when first used. The shirt is very smart and feels thick enough to stand the test of primary school! The pants (Tomboy little girl who lives in them) although not the colour alowed at our school had a very prominent crease down the legs which seem to be strong enough for quite a few washes. The fit was great, my little girl is quite petite for her age so I opted for her size younger. Durability seems to last especially after her first day of wear she still looked reasonably smart when picked up. I'm pleased to say that it stood the test of the machine machine too, I'm a mum who puts everything in the dryer and it survived that too! 
    2. Cost wise I think its fantastic, this uniform really allows you to purchase a full weeks worth without breaking the bank and still get the quality that big high street stores offer.
    3. My little girl loves the uniform, anything which she can wear which is boyish and still meets the standards of the school for a girl was a winner with both me and my daughter. 
    4. I'd not only recommend the uniform I will be queing to buy it when it comes into my local store, I'll be spreading the word to make sure other mums are aware of all the things I've mentioned and more. 
    I do hope though, that each store is adequately stocked so that no one misses out (experienced this before)

From both me and my daughter a huge thank you to Aldi for letting us trial 🙏🙏🙏💖
  • We tried out trousers, polo shirt and socks. Trousers were a slim fit with crease to centre, this was great as the only type my son wears, he was happy to wear them and they are very similar to the ones we buy at a well known high street chain for 3 times the price. Fit was good, elastic tightening at the waist for snug fit, perfect length and looked very smart, although my son did say that the catch kept coming undone. Initially they were stiff but softened considerably after the first wash and no ironing needed. Durability is hard to tell after just one try, I feel the trousers may become bobbly after a lot of washing, good for one child, not so good to pass down. Polo shirt is as good as any I’ve ever bought and washed up well, kept shape and no shrinkage. Value for money is incredible. I would say for the overall price against, fit, wash and style there is nothing that comes close anywhere else. Overall my son loved the uniform, excellent value for money and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Aldi for school uniforms. 
  • edited Jul 15, 2019 11:30AM
    The quality of the unifrom is awsome, love the polo shirts and the style of the pinafore's. So far they have washed well, an not too creased. It has survived nursery very well so far, no colour fade and survied paint too. The fit on them is brilliant as my 3 girls are all tall for there age an a little chunky. Its not shrunken in the wash wich is a bonus. The price for what i was given to test isnt too bad when compared to others. I would happily pay it for the quality of the uniform. My daughter loved the zip, i know out of all the things i asked she likes the zip on the pinafore's. I would and already have recommended the uniform to other moms as well as letting them know when it is on sale. I will also be purchasing more myself. Sorry i didnt take any of her in the uniform, but i will add some.

with my child being in a school nursery she does a lot of play activities and these stood up to it. Thick shirts and pinafore so didn't rip. The photo she is repeating the uniform after it has been washed they both ended up with pen on and it came straight out without the use of a stain remover. These are in 4-5 shes currently a 3-4 and these fit perfect and will do her for the last year in nursery.

So brilliant I have ordered more for her and my son.

3. What does your child think of the uniform? Please post up your pictures of your child in the uniform with your reply 

Think the bug smile on her face says it all really. She normally hates getting dressed for school.

100% they are a good quality material and yet very affordable on the pocket. 
  • I loved  the quality and fit of the girls socks and polo tops and they washed and tumble dryed well with little or no shrinkage. The girls trousers were too big,but went and bought some today in a smaller size as they really do seem very hard wearing.
    I would give 10 out of 10 for value for money,I really can't fault the uniform or the price point.
    My daughter loved the polo shirts and socks, not tried the trousers yet as they were too big. My fault though put next size up as usually aldi clothes can be a little on the small size. Sizes seem right this time.
    I would definitely recommend aldi's uniform to other parents.  No brainer from me. Great quality, lovely fit, comfortable and brilliant prices.
    Well done Aldi .

• 1. Uniform is very durable. Fits well although she did complain about the skirt rubbing her. Washed well and minimum intoning required.
    2. Excellent value for money, not  surprising as I usually find Aldi clothes fab quality for the least money.
    3. She loved the look and feel. As mentioned only gripe was the skirt rubbing.
    4. I would definitely recommend them to a friend.
  • edited Jul 15, 2019 11:00AM
    My 10 year old son tested the Aldi uniform. With my son being football mad and always sliding on the grass at school i thought there would be several ground in grass stains and holes on the shirt and trousers, as there usually is. The shirts were grass stained but it washed out in one wash which i was impressed with and no holes in the knees of the trousers as of yet. Means im a happy mummy 😃 
    1. We washed the uniform 3 times during the week and the trousers came up great everytime. They didnt shrink or become itchy if anything they became less stiff. The adjustable waist was brilliant as we always struggle to find trousers long enough but small enough around the waist as my son is long and thin.The shirts were fab as the stains washed out without too much trouble. Only thing my son said is that the shirts seemed to become abit tighter after the first wash so i would size up. Also the shirts are abit see through but fine with a jumper and in the summer. The socks are fab, the comfiest socks he has worn in ages. No shrinking in this household for the socks massive thumbs up for them.
    2. We were sent some trousers, short sleeved shirts and socks which cost £6.23 for that price we had 1 pair of trousers, 2 shirts and 5 socks which i think is amazing. Especially as the are such good quality. The price is unbeatable i feel and as long as my son is comfy in them, thats all that matters 😊
    3. My 10 year old son has never worn short sleeved shirts for school but he did for testing them out and he loved them, he wants more short sleeved shirts. He felt comfy all day and could play football in them so he was happy. 
    4. 10/10 For the quality and price, so i would recommend the uniform just as i said before i would size up on the shirts. The price is incredible to be honest as uniforms are so expensieve usually. We will be keeping an eye out for these in our Aldi. 
    We have taken some photos but it says that the images fail to upload. Hopefully i can send them to someone 
    Thank you 

The quality feels thicker than the cheaper brands of polo shirt, the trousers feel nice, even after washing them they still have a nice texture and havent lost their shape. They seem more durable than the previous ones and are great value. 
    The uniform is great value for money, children that these clothes are aimed at grow so quickly and quality uniform can be expensive. But in this case you can get quality and value.
    My child liked the uniform, he felt that it fit well and the adjustable waist meant that it fit him well too. 
    Yes i would, for the value and quality of the clothing. I will be getting all of my childrens uniform from aldi this year and will be satisfied that it will last until it is grown out of. 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions