Forum home Babies Baby

Reflux, wind - help!

Hello, so my little girl is now 5 weeks old. She didn't have the best start to life and was tube fed for the first 2 days. She didn't know how to suckle a bottle. We overcome that problem. She was born 1 day late at 7lb. She was on cow and gate milk. We noticed when we got home that she was projectile vomiting her bottles, especially if lay down too quickly after a feed. Sometime she is sick during a feed and it's always the entire bottle that comes out. I just sit and cry because I'm so upset. She's still being monitored for weight by the health visitor because On Wednesday she was weighed and had only gained 4 oz since birth, which isn't alot. The hv thinks its a wind problem no a reflux problem but I disagree. I have suggested changing milk but she said no. I went to the gp at 2 weeks old and they were useless. I just feel like I'm getting no help. She's currently on aptamil 1 milk. Gets sick once a day atleast but I feel its ruining my life. I can't go anywhere because I'm scared she will vomit everywhere if I mess with her too much after a bottle. I've tried infacol, gripe water. She does burp - eventually. But can still be sick after.
Any advice is truly appreciated. Thank you, I'm desperate and sick of crying 

Replies

• You can add a thickener to the milk instead of changing the actual milk. It helps to settle in their tummy a little but more. I used carobel thickener as instructed by the doctor and it really helped. Don't be put off my carobel being made by cow and Gate,  it's just the brand that makes it but it's compatible with any milk type!
  • Hi 
    My son suffers from reflux and when on normal milk was very sicky and suffered with burps. We had to feed with him sat up on my knee so the milk went down, also we put him on Aptamil reflux (HV says they sometimes don’t recommend as can bung them up) We also use Gaviscon infant as prescribed by the doctor and he now takes the full bottle and no sick! 

• Hiya! My little one who is now 6months old suffered really bad she never could keep her milk down to the point it was also always coming out her nose! She got out on gaviscon and has been a massive difference she is still on it now as they changed her to carobel a month ago and she was sick constantly she couldnt keep anything down so were back on the gaviscon and it helps so much its been an absolute live saver! Xxx
  • I found gaviscon no help for my little one! I changed milk from Aptamil to cow and gate and I found her to be better on that! Has your little one been checked for tongue tie as a few things you are saying are big symptoms. My baby also had that too and she is much better now that’s been rectified xxx
  • Went to the doctors in the end and they prescribed gaviscon and ranitadine. Has helped but still gets sick every now and again. But further problems were found and she has vsd (a heart defect) which also makes them lose weight... So all this together is completely blowing my mind. 
  • They out me daughter also on ranitidine it takes a while to kick so may still be buck sicky for a while. Oh no bless her! Im so sorry! Must be so stressful for you! Always here if u need a chat! xxx
  • They out me daughter also on ranitidine it takes a while to kick so may still be buck sicky for a while. Oh no bless her! Im so sorry! Must be so stressful for you! Always here if u need a chat! xxx
    Thank you, yes she was sick today again and seemed uncomfortable while drinking. I'm scared about over feeding her but I really need her to gain weight especially when her op is due. She's been put on special milk too, infatrini, you may have heard of it. More calories so not sure if its more filling which will make her sic. It's so overwhelming this parent malarkey. At almost 6 weeks old she is 7.4 lb... 7lb born.. Full term. Scary 😔😔