Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems

TTC Year and a half, recently found out that I have high prolactin levels

Hi, let me start off by saying that I’m new to all this, so sorry if I don’t make enough sense lol. I’m 22, my partner (M22) and I have been TTC for a year and a half now with no luck at all. There were a few times that I got my hopes up as my cycle used to be 27/28 days exactly for a long while, but once I started TTC suddenly the cycles were stretching out longer. The longest it has been is 32 days. 
I went to the doctors a couple of years ago to get bloods done for an unrelated issue. When I got the results back, as whatever I was getting checked for came back fine, the receptionist telling me my results said that I had a hormone imbalance. Nothing more was mentioned, even when I tried to bring it up to the doctors they were unconcerned. 
It wasn’t until two months ago that my nicer doctor came back, and when I told her of my concerns as I hadn’t fallen pregnant yet, she checked my file and told me that in my last bloods it had shown up that I had high levels of prolactin, which can prevent ovulation and cause infertility. I was a little shocked that I hadn’t been told this before and that it wasn’t a concern to the doctor, as I was young and it is something that could cause me to be unable to have children. I went for more bloods, and they said that there were high prolactin levels, but there was also progesterone which is in indication of ovulation (I was supposed to get tested on day 21 of my cycle to get the results at the correct time for a regular 28 day cycle, and for the first time ever my period came on day 23 lol). Ive got to go back for more bloods in a few weeks, so I’m kind of worried. Did anyone else have prolactin issues while TTC? 
Also, I’m trying not to get my hopes up right now. I haven’t let my partner know yet, because he’s always so devastated when we get our hopes up and then AF comes, but I’m on day 32 (my longest cycle days) right now, about to be day 33 and I haven’t started bleeding yet. I haven’t had sore breasts, but my nipples are painful and sensitive and have been for the longest time on my cycle yet (9 days), my migraines and ‘period spots’ came and went a week ago. Trying not to get my hopes up but fingers crossed!!
So sorry if TMI and for the long post! I just needed to kind of rant it all out. 

Replies

• Hello, 

I had bloods done and they came back as high prolactin, which I’d never heard of. My level was 660 when it should be under 500. The dr said stress causes it to be high and as I have a stressful job thought that was really frustrating but had another blood test a month later and the level had come way down! I hadn’t really tried to be less stressful :/ so maybe you could ask for another test to check it again?
  • SmithL35 said:
    Hello, 

I had bloods done and they came back as high prolactin, which I’d never heard of. My level was 660 when it should be under 500. The dr said stress causes it to be high and as I have a stressful job thought that was really frustrating but had another blood test a month later and the level had come way down! I hadn’t really tried to be less stressful :/ so maybe you could ask for another test to check it again?
    Thank you for replying!! I was due to get bloods done again in the next couple of weeks to check again, but this morning I decided to test and I came back with 3 BFP’s! 
    I’m hoping it has been due to stress and not an underlying medical condition but I’ve got the doctors tomorrow so I’m going to bring it up just in case :) I feel like it definitely had an impact on TTC over the last year and a bit though
  • Oh that’s fab news!!! Congratulations x