Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Problems breastfeeding

Hello,

I have a 2 weeks old baby boy and I'm a first time mom.
Since the beginning I wanted to breastfeed my baby but I'm having a hard time putting him to latch on, he fights against the breast he  just doesn't want to.

At the hospital I had an emergency section, not sure it's related but I was producing a really low supply of milk, I had to use the pump and bottle feeding formula because I didn't had enough.

My Midwife told me to get an nipple shield, and I've been using it for a week along with formula because my baby sometimes is still hungry after I breastfeed him.

I'm just wondering are there any way to increase my milk supply? 

Also, Will my milk supply decrease because I'm using a nipple shield?

I've been trying everything to have my baby to latch on, I'm out of ideas, any tips/ideas you can share would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• Hi, sorry to hear you are struggling. I breastfed and know that it can be challenging both physically and mentally.

Do you have a breastfeeding group near you that you can attend. I used to go to them and found them to be great support.

I havent used a breast shield, but my friend has, and it didn't affect her supply. She wouldn't have been able to breastfeed without using it. 

Regarding increasing milk supply, you could pump in between feeds to get your supply up. But I would speak to a breastfeeding expert on this, to make sure you get the advice that is right for you.

I don't really have any tips on how to improve your baby's latch. Sorry I can't be of more help. Please don't get stressed over this, breastfeeding can be challenging. Your baby is still young, and if you have some support from a breastfeeding expert, I'm sure it'll work out for you and baby. X 
  • Hey @Mummyoffive can you help? 
  • I had to wake my baby in the beginning to get her to feed more often. I stripped her down to nappy to A) keep her awake and B) the skin to skin helped. I also found feeding in the koala position helped enormously. Helped her get a much better latch. I also used a double electric pump twice a day for about 4 days. I fed the pumped milk in a bottle if she was still hungry.