Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Has anyone ever had an HSG dye test before? Experiences/thoughts please??

Hi there! Normally I post on the Getting Pregnant/TTC thread, but I just wanted to see if any ladies on this thread who have successfully gotten pregnant have ever undergone an hysterosalpingogram (HSG) test before. Essentially, the test involves injecting a dye into the cervix, and the doctor watches a screen to ensure that the dye passes through the fallopian tubes. If the dye does not pass through the tubes, that means the tubes are blocked. My doctor suggested this to me as a means of testing my fertility a few months ago, before I suffered a chemical pregnancy, and I've been holding it off because of my MC, and to see what happens this month. Well, I got a BFN this morning and I have AF spotting/symptoms, so I'm thinking about proceeding with the test this next cycle, which my doctor suggested would be the next step in checking for issues with fertility, and consequently proceeding with any medications or help with TTC.

I am curious to hear from anyone who has had this test before. Was it painful? I am worried about the pain, but at this point I'm desperate. And also, did you find it helped with your fertility? The main reason I am going to pursue it is because my doctor said fertility has been said to increase afterwards because the dye clears out general mucus/any buildup in the tubes, even if they aren't blocked per say, so I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true or has experienced that firsthand. At the very least, after this test comes back, as long as it comes back with no problems I can start trying drugs for fertility, and that's something I really hope to pursue since this has been almost the entire year now.

Thank you as always for feedback and input! 

Replies

• I had the test a few years back which threw up that I only had one half of my reproductive system! For me it didnt allow me to get pregnant after and we progressed to fertility treatment but 4 months ago I gave birth to our daughter following a natural pregnancy! I think I just remember the pain being like uncomfortable "period pain" which did hang around for most of the day but it's a small price to pay for potential answers and results! Good Luck!
  • MrsD90 said:
    I had the test a few years back which threw up that I only had one half of my reproductive system! For me it didnt allow me to get pregnant after and we progressed to fertility treatment but 4 months ago I gave birth to our daughter following a natural pregnancy! I think I just remember the pain being like uncomfortable "period pain" which did hang around for most of the day but it's a small price to pay for potential answers and results! Good Luck!
    Oh wow, so it was definitely worth it to go through with the test then! My doctor and I don't anticipate finding anything wrong since I proved I can get pregnant as I did have a chemical pregnancy, but this is the next step she wants to take before we can even think about discussing drugs and fertility treatment further. But as you said, the pain is worth the price to pay for answers and results!

Thanks for the help! One last question - did you find it helped with fertility in any way since you mentioned you had a natural pregnancy? I have found a few testimonies online from women who claimed they fell pregnant almost immediately afterwards, but I wanted to see if anyone on here could attest to that personally. Thanks again! 
  • No worries! 

No it definitely didn't help us to get pregnant, after the procedure we had 3 failed IUI attempts and didnt get pregnant for about 18months/2 years after.
  • MrsD90 said:
    No worries! 

No it definitely didn't help us to get pregnant, after the procedure we had 3 failed IUI attempts and didnt get pregnant for about 18months/2 years after.
    Wow, I am so sorry to hear how long that took, but thank goodness that you did finally go on to give birth to your daughter <3 thanks again for your help!