Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Ectopic Pregnancy - When to try again?

Hi,

I found out I was pregnant at the end of August this year, just after returning from our honeymoon. We were absolutely over the moon! But not long after finding out, I started to bleed and long story short, after around three weeks of being at the hospital every 48 hours, I was told it was an ectopic pregnancy. I was given two options; methotrexate injection or surgery. I opted for the injection as it was my first pregnancy and I wanted to give myself the best chance in the future. I had the injection on 11th September, so just over six weeks ago. At the time, I was told by the consultant that I should ensure I don’t fall pregnant again for 3 months. So the date of 11th December has been the only thing getting me through all of this!! Since the injection, I’ve had to go back for weekly blood tests and a week ago, my HCG levels indicated that I am no longer pregnant so I’ve been discharged. When the nurse rang, she told me to inform them of when I fall pregnant again and said to wait until around Christmas to try again. But then I’ve also read online that some people have been advised to wait until their HCG levels indicate that they’re not pregnant anymore, begin taking folic acid again for three months and then try but that just seems like such a long wait! I’m really hoping we can start to try again around the middle of December but I just wanted to know of other people’s stories who had also been treated with the methotrexate injection and how long you waited until you tried again. Thank you in advance!! 

Replies

• I'm sorry for ur loss. 

To be honest I'm not sure, it wasn't a surgery and u didn't suffer too much internal damage. But still it's an advice from medically qualified person. 

I think the best way is to consult another Dr and see what he or she says. And ask for reasons behind the advice.

Sorry u can't be of much more help.

Take care of urself, the best wishes!!
  • Thanks for your reply. Yeah I think I will do back to the doctors and get a bit more advice. It’s just so difficult when you feel like it’s taking over every aspect of your life. 

Thank you for your kindness xx
  • Sorry I cant ***** meant to say. 

Yes it is hard and makes us anxious and obsessed. I thought after 3mcs I will be calmer but every time is the same.

I hope u will learn to cope soon!
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had an ectopic in 2016. They gave me the methotrexate and we waited 4 months to ttc again. They advised at least 3 but I thought it would be stressful and busy to ttc over Christmas and I was scared of the risk of abnormalities so we waited until January. I took Solgar folate 1000mcg a day to rebuild my folate stores back up as soon as my Hcg was zero. I cried so much in the months following the ectopic, but eventually we got our BFP and rainbow baby.
  • @LaSynergie thank you so much for your reply. It is so comforting to hear that someone else has gone through something similar, it has really helped me to feel that I’m not alone in all of this. I am so pleased that you have such a positive story to come from your ectopic pregnancy and congratulations on your rainbow baby! I really hope we are just as lucky! I understand you waiting the four months as it is a worry I can’t help but just feel like I cannot wait any longer and as they’ve said three months, the 11th December is the only thing getting me through this right now. I’m really hoping we can try again then!! I just hope I too get my rainbow baby! Xxx
  • Three months should be fine, for me it was personal choice as I knew I would have to be traveling to see family. Once I got my next BFP I went straight to get a referral to the early pregnancy unit who looked after me with the ectopic and they did all the early blood tests and checks to make sure my rainbow baby was in the right place as they warned me of the slightly increased chance of another ectopic in future.
  • @LaSynergie do you mind me asking how long it took you to fall pregnant again? Yes I’ve also been told that I am entitled to an early scan at seven weeks which is so reassuring! Xxx