Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Bronchostop Junior the little things you do to soothe your poorly child: win £200 voucher

Replies

• an extra pillow under the mattress to prob them up at night, and lots of films on the settee in the day.
  • Hot lemon & honey drinks with lots of cuddles
  • Hot lemon, Calpol, and cuddles
  • My boys are unwell at the moment. As they're twins they're always playing together and what one gets the other soon follows. Both are asthmatic and have a lot of allergies and so can be unwell quite often. Besides the everyday medications, cough mixtures etc there are a few things that have become routine when they're unwell and I think the routine in itself soothes them. Even when unwell they will still lie in bed and love to sing the 'heads, shoulders, knees and toes' song with the actions even if it's a tired poorly attempt to do them. They still compete with each other to see who makes a mistake first and it always takes their mind off how poorly they feel. They  can be in hospital quite often but the routine doesn't change their either with nurses often joining in. At home apart from the song, what soothes them is being together in the same bed. I don't know if that's a twin thing but when they're poorly its the one time they want to do that. I don't know if that's to feel more secure but it works. Raw honey is a firm favourite in some warm water alongside the normally prescribed medications and chemist bought cough medications. If they get a chest infection then Bronchostop is often used. Mainly because it does seem to do the job when many others have no effect but also because it is so difficult to get young children to take any medicine and Bronchostop has a lovely strawberry taste. I know because i had to have a taste before they had it for the first time.

Apart from all of the above which happens on a fairly regular basis all you can do is be there for them, hugs, positive actions and encouragement and the correct prescribed and non prescribed medicines that will help them. Always check though that over the counter bought medicines will not interact negatively with any prescribed ones. I'll end the yammer now but its a subject close to my heart and one i live with almost daily.  As long as they know you're there that in itself is soothing and a comfort to them .
  • We always use a humidifier to add some moisture to the air when she is poorly. It really makes a difference to her coughs. Central Heating makes the air so dry.
  • havent tried a cough syrup but would consider it with older ones, especially as they are expected to keep up their attendence at school even when feeling a bit rough. With the little ones- lots of rest and cuddles and lots of drinks, warm drinks if possible and honey (but not for babies!)
  • I always offer my 3 year old a ‘scratch back’ which is nice and soothing for him, for about 3 minutes, until it inevitably turns into tickle-time! So nice to hear his giggles when he’s poorly though. 
  • Get them changed into something comfortable (usually pj's, but sometimes shorts). Then let them have a rest in a darkened room, listening to a favourite audio book, spray some 'sleepy spray', and make sure they have plenty of fluids. 
  • Cosying up under a blanket with a story or movie, warm milk and vapour rub on the feet under socks
  • We read a lot of stories, and snuggle down on the sofa to watch our favourite programmes together
  • We always put vick on chest then on feet with bed socks on to help soothe the coughing, then we have a duvet day in our onsies  and watch dvds. We also have hot chocolate or warm milk to drink and when poorly I always make sure we drink plenty of fluids. 
  • We watch movies together. easy to do and comfortable. 

• We always find singing soft lullabies is the best comfort to our little suffering ones....many thanks for the great posts and info...
  • Sometimes a bath helps, we run the shower to ease their chest. Also their bath toys distract them for a little while. Fluffy pyjamas and cuddles. 
  • Lots of cuddles and maybe a small treat :)
  • A warm lemon drink, calpol, throat syrup and lots of hugs and kisses.
  • Blankets and pillows all over the sofa, movies on the tv, tea with honey in and vicks usually does the trick
  • Keep her warm with lots .of cuddles works everytime
  • Duvet day on the sofa with lots of movies and warm lemon and honey always seems to work with our kids 
  • A nice warm bath, clean fresh pjs and lots of movies! We like to have a 'lazy day' when my daughter isn't feeling well. There's nothing better than cuddling up on the sofa together with lots of treats - it soon distracts her!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions