Forum home Article comments

Must-have toys for Christmas from the biggest sellers

SystemSystem mod
edited Jun 10, 2019 6:07PM in Article comments

imageMust-have toys for Christmas from the biggest sellers

LOL Surprise Glamper, Walking Buzz Lightyear, Kindi Kids Toddler dolls, Owleez and the LEGO Harry Potter Knight Bus have all been tipped as some of the must-haves for Christmas by retailers such as Argos and toy experts at the Toy Fair. Our toy testers pick the best of the bunch...

Read the full story here

Replies

• I think it's a real shame that the majority of these are plastic. Should we not be shifting away from plastic toys in favour of more sustainable materials? There are lots of lovely toys available made from wood or bamboo, hardly any of these are on this list. What will happen to all of the above toys when they are not the 'in' thing any more? Landfill I guess and replaced by more plastic tat.
  • Thanks for your comment, emmamac1979. We think a lot of parents would agree with you about looking for more sustainable toys. This particular article is about the toys retailers are recommending as must-buys for Christmas 2019, so we obviously need to stick to the pick of their recommendations here – but we are mindful that many parents might want to steer clear of plastic toys and have other articles on the best wooden toys (https://www.madeformums.com/reviews/best-wooden-toys), for example, and even a selection of the best eco/sustainable toys (https://www.madeformums.com/reviews/best-sustainable-eco-ethical-toy )
  • edited Oct 21, 2019 10:32AM

Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Whilst natural products are favourable they cannot always be appropriately stabilised and in some cases can splinter and peel i.e paint.
    Plastic can at least be sterile and unwanted toys donated to schools and hospitals.
  • edited Nov 11, 2019 7:02PM

Here's a link to our Chat guidelines

• edited Jan 30, 2020 1:11PM
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines
  • It’s so great to see that most of the toys we tested have done so well!
    They are still firm favourites in our house, and my children are very grateful that they had such a wonderful opportunity to put these to the test!
  • Very helpful guide to Christmas gifts and you’ve given me some great ideas for my nephew. Thank you
  • Revecca said:
    Very helpful guide to Christmas gifts and you’ve given me some great ideas for my nephew. Thank you
    Thanks so much for the lovely comment @Revecca, we're so glad to have helped 😊
  • Do they seriously make a toy washing machines for girls? What kind of message does that send!? Pretty disappointed that this list is all all fairy’s for the girls and cars for the boys. I’d love it if my daughter wanted a dinosaur research centre for Christmas but we are preconditioning them to want to be princesses.
  • Hi Rebecca2020. Thanks for your comment. To be clear, none of the toys on our list is just for girls or just for boys. The washing machine that you mention is absolutely for boys as well as girls and the dinosaur research station is, too.
    It's true that the child testers we've pictured do tend to be playing with toys more stereotypically associated with their sex (which is maybe what you're basing your comment on?) and that's something we'll take on board – thank you.
    We're actually always very careful with all our general toy testing to be as gender-neutral as possible when selecting testers for each toy – the toy dolls we tested for our Best Dolls article, for example, are as likely to have been tested by boys as by girls. But we perhaps weren't as careful with our Christmas toy testing (and the pictures we chose to use), due to the speed of the testing rollout. That's something we'll definitely work on for next year.
    We're grateful to you for drawing this to our attention – thank you!