Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Shingles

Hi guys a quick question is it safe to be around someone that has shingles or do i need to stay away?oh and if i have to stay away how long for?i ask because my mum rang me saying she thinks she has got this i last saw her on tuesday she only noticed the rash last night so i think im ok im 22+5
thanks Lin

Replies

• oh please do! im not sure how long you have to stay away, but i had them wen i was 13 and i was in pain for weeks and couldnt go near any one and it wuld be so pain full if u got them. i just got this from a site
    Is shingles contagious?
    Yes, you can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles if you have not had chickenpox before. (You cannot get shingles itself from someone who has shingles.) The shingles rash is contagious until all the blisters have scabbed and are dry. But note: most adults and older children have already had chickenpox, and so are immune. Also, if the blisters (vesicles) are covered with a dressing, it is unlikely that the virus will pass on to others. This is because the virus is passed on by direct contact with the blisters. (Therefore, if you have a job you can return to work once the blisters have dried up, or earlier if you keep the rash covered and feel well enough.)

However, as a general rule, pregnant women who have not had chickenpox should avoid people with shingles. (See separate leaflet called 'Chickenpox, Shingles and Pregnancy'.) Also, if you have a poor immune system, you should avoid people with shingles. (See below for a list of people who have a poor immune system.) These general rules are to 'play safe', as it is direct contact with the rash that usually passes on the virus.

Also, to play safe and not risk passing on the virus to others who may not have had chickenpox, you should not share towels, go swimming, or play contact sports such as rugby whilst you have a shingles rash.

hope it helps
  • i asked a midwife this the other day, as i'm going to a party and one of the other people going has shingles. midwife said as long as you've had chicken pox and avoid touching the persons blisters you'll be fine as you have to come into direct contact with the blisters
    hope this helps
    xxx
  • hi, just to point out at that just because u've had chicken pox once doesn't mean u won't get it again. i myself have had chicken pox 3 times, rare i know but it can happen.

xx

http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/bg937565.jpg

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev074pb___.png

• thanks guys its just im going with my mum to see the vagina monologes on fri night but should be ok ive had chicken pox but i know you can get it more my brother had it 3 times.i was just worried because of being pregnant all the same i'll stay away until i see her on friday just to be safe.thanks
    Lin22+5
  • hi again, maybe an idea to give nhs direct a call just clarify but i've a vague recollection that someone on here had to have an injection because she had been in contact with someone with chickenpox/shingles whilst pregnant. can't remember who it was but i'm certain she was in the march 09 forum too

xx
    23+0
  • I had a mild dose of shingles while and pregnant and it didn't do me, or baby any harm. I wasn't in any pain really just had an uncomfortable rash. They think I got it cos I saw someone with chicken pox (didn't know they had it at the time)
    Anyway, check with your mw but mine, and the consultant at hosp who checked me, both said I was fine and didn't even treat it with antibiotics. Baby is now 6wks and didnt affect him at all.S x
  • Thanks for the replys turned out not to be just an allergic reaction to washing powder lol but best to be on safe side.
  • aww thats good news, u can go with peace of mind now. hope u enjoy ur night xx
    23+3
  • Hi Siany - that was me...i had to have jabs at 5+5 as no immunity to chick pox and my daughter had shingles, and have had more jabs since as the immunity doesnt last very long!!!

glad it was just an allergic reaction thou, enjoy friday xx

Jacki 23+4