Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Heinz for Baby your thoughts on their weaning diaries: £200 Amazon voucher up for grabs!

Hello.

Last year, we partnered with Heinz for Baby to ask you all about your thoughts on weaning your baby: the challenges, the joys, the highs and lows, and especially the mess that comes with weaning.

As a result, we would love you to meet three MadeForMums families who have created video diaries, all about their weaning journey.

Meet baby Mia, who is just about to try food for the first time.
Meet baby Savraj, who’s a few weeks into weaning getting to grips with lumps.
Meet baby Alfie, who has been trying food for four months now but is easily distracted.

Heinz for Baby would love you to watch each families weaning diary, and come back and tell us on this thread how the families diaries resonate with you: if you have any similar experiences or worries, or just fancy chatting about what you’ve seen, and you could win the £200 Amazon voucher for sharing.

We would love for you to comment on each family, which means you can enter this thread three times - once for each families diary, as three individual comments/posts, so that’s three chances to win the £200 Amazon voucher! To post, please scroll to the bottom of this page, and add your comment about each family in the reply box, making sure you mention which family you are referring to. 

Everyone who posts (and answers the question fully) will be entered into a prize draw to win the £200 Amazon vouchers.

We'll keep this thread open until 5/02/20, and we'll announce the winner's name a few days later.

This discussion is sponsored by HeinzPlease note that comments and pictures you post here may be used by Heinz for Baby in future marketing and advertising material. See full Ts & Cs here

Replies

• I remember starting out with my 2 just like Mia’s parents.  I was a fussy eater as a child also I really didn’t want my children to be like me so stressed out a lot because of that. Now me and my husband eat everything and went in with the attitude of the kids will eat what we eat and that seems to have worked for us. My second little girl is much fussier than my first but we are persevering with her.  
  • Savraj is like my second little girl- she was difficult with textures at the start. In the end I just gave her finger food as for some strange reason she could manage solid finger foods but didn’t like lumps in spoon feeds. I understand the panic of lumps in food and have resorted to the blender myself on quite a few occasions in the early days but it soon passes and the baby and mummy/daddy get more confident. 
  • I found the weaning stage quite an easy transgression with my little one. I gave him a variety of foods sometimes home cooked, sometimes sachets and blended foods together in the blender. He took to is straight away I wouls divest to new parents not to give up if your childs dowsnt like the taste of something at first as it takes time for them to acquire new tastes 
  • I found the weaning stage quite an easy transgression with my little one. I gave him a variety of foods sometimes home cooked, sometimes sachets and blended foods together in the blender. He took to is straight away I wouls divest to new parents not to give up if your childs dowsnt like the taste of something at first as it takes time for them to acquire new tastes 
    Hi @Rach rose 59 Thank you for posting on this Heinz competition, however to be entered to win the voucher, we actually need you to watch the weaning diary videos, and then comment on which babies video you watched and what you thought about them. 
    Just scroll to the top of the page to watch the videos. 
    Good luck! 
    Danielle at MadeForMums
  • I was worried about introducing lumps into the weaning stage like baby savraj, because my son had a lot of reflux and like kost parents you worry about the gag reflex however he handled solids really well. I blended most food up and introduced him to some soft lumps when his teeth where growing. He seemed to take to it very werk thanks for the informative video it's so nice to see young children develop and grow and gain nutrition 
  • I watched the Mia video and the mother feels a little anxious about how to judge if her baby has had enough.  She will soon realise that babies are quite clear when they have had enough and will turn their heads etc.  She felt sad about moving to the next step but the father felt excited because he could get more involved which was rather nice to see. 
  • Savraj appears to be thriving and enjoying different foods but his mother expressed concerns about his reactions to new foods.  I often let my baby have a tiny taste of foods off my plate which seemed to get him used to different flavours.  I found that my child may not take to one flavour but if I mixed it with another they were sometimes happier to eat it 
  • Alfie has been given lots of finger foods and pouches.  They use pouches so that they can ssess how much he eats and plan to increase the textures in his food.  The first time I gave small lumps and dried foods like rusks or toast I was anxious about choking but by your second child it gets easier.
  • As a grandparent, when starting out with my own two children and grandchildren, it was all 'trial and error'!  Like Mia, they all enjoyed porridge, taking small amounts at first, and they knew when they had had enough food.  They either turned away or tried to tip up the bowl!

All babies and children are different, and as they become older develop their own preferences and tastes, and it looks like Mia is happily exploring her choices.
  • the mia video where the baby is trying food, i remember worrying about how much food to give my daughter, but she soon let us know if she wanted more or less to go with her bottles. 
  • the savraj video where she is trying lumpy food remided me of my daughter starting to be interested in the food i was eating so id give her little bits of mine and pretend to eat her dinner to keep her interested. 
  • baby alfie was cute, once they start eating more bigger and more variety of food you can eat with them and encourage them, but it does take a long time for them to get through dinner still haha
  • I was extrememly lucky to have a fab childminder that helped with weaning, my daughter was a little fussy to start with but after a short time loved experimenting with different foods
  • baby alfie got different varieties of foods and that is good as sometimes they only like a few things or refuse new things. I encourage my child to try new foods and play games with her to encourage it. 

• Like Mia, my daughter put everything in her mouth as a baby so when it came to feeding solids she took to it really well. She used to eat and seamed to enjoy some quite adventurous foods.

• I think lots of babys, like Savraj, gag on food, it can be unnerving. Our daughter gagged a bit, but she seamed to love texture, as long as it was quite soft. She liked pieces of fruit, grapes, bananas, tomatoes etc, and would deliberately choose them

• If anyone can stop a teething baby like Alfie getting distracted, they are a better man than I. Some days feeding was never ending and almost all of it ended up on the floor, high chair and face.

• cathyj said:
    I was extrememly lucky to have a fab childminder that helped with weaning, my daughter was a little fussy to start with but after a short time loved experimenting with different foods
    Hi @cathyj Thank you for posting on this Heinz sponsored discussion, however to be entered to win the voucher, we actually need you to watch the weaning diary videos, and then comment on which babies video you watched and what you thought about them. 
    Just scroll to the top of the page to watch the videos, and come back and post here to be entered. Good luck! 
  • i enjoyed reading about baby Mias journey. was surprrised that they started with creamy porridge. All weaning journeys are different- we needed to avoid daily with our due to allergies so kept it really simple with root veg as a start. the excitement and nerves of taking the first steps cerainly resonated! 
  • having read savjag's diary I felt sorry that the parents had a worrying experience of the process. I am confused about the hype here about 'lumps and bumps'. I tried both types of weaning with my two and with baby led weaning found babys perfectly able to gum and munch on soft sticks of food and finger foods and then moving on to little things like rice and shredded meat only once they could manage a pincer grip with fingers. I think his mum makes a good point about steping outside of your comfort zone as it can be very nerve wracking at times but you have to try things observe interact with your child and trust in the process!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions