Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Why is my son so mad

Hello.
   I'm a very worried dad. At the end of my rooe as to what is wrong. My son is 2 and a half and is angry all the time. He pinches and hits constantly. He will pinch anyone from me, to his mom, grandparents etc. If he gets a slap on the hand or timeout it doesnt matter. If I spank his hand he gets even more mad and will do it more, scream no, and continue to hit and pinch. When he is a loving boy he can be the sweetest, but this is a rare occasion, once or twice a week, and he is mean like this all the time. I've done a lot of reading and tried it all, thought maybe he wasnt getting enough attention so we put away our phones, turn off the tv....everything with no success. He could be sitting and playing and pinching constantly at the same time. You can tell him no and no over and over again and he keeps doing it...as your telling him no. I can slap his hand and as hes crying about it hes hitting me or pinching me. Trust me the last thing I want to do is have to discipline him. It breaks my heart, but simply telling him it hurts and to stop doesn't help, it seems to egg him on almost. His mother crys, I cry, we just dont know what to do and are contemplating having him evaluated. I love my boy so much and it kills me to even have to write this, we're just lost as to what to do next. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated and excepted. Thank you !

-Sad Dad

Replies

• Hi,
    Ah it sounds like a tough spell for you all at the mo, I’m sorry you’re going through this. 
    But its wonderful that you want to help your little boy and have started to think about how to address some of his behaviour.
    Have you spoken with your Health visitor to get support?
    is your little one at nursery? The workers might be able to suggest some strategies to try.

My little boy went through a stage of biting which was horrible. 
    Personally I’m not a fan of smacking/slapping back. I think violence contradicts the message you’re trying to give about how his pinching hurts and is wrong. We do use timeout step though. And the more consistent we’ve been with it the better it has worked.

Good luck!
  • Thank you for your suggestions, they will be put to good use. And yes I agree 100 percent the smack on the hand is a last ditch effort and I get no enjoyment out of it. It was hard for me to write this as sometimes I feel I have failed in some way. Again thank you for your input !