Forum home Birth clubs Due in June 2020

Due in June 2020 - Part 2

Replies

• I’m really suffering with heartburn sometime I struggle to even get food down is anyone else having this problem?? And Braxton Hicks a lot xx
  • Hi ladies, will catch up on what I’ve missed later but just wanted to pop on to share an update on where us UK ladies stand with regard to self-isolating. 
    The SSP guidelines have now changed so if listed in the vulnerable group (which we are) you can now claim SSP for self-isolating for prevention reasons. 
    Not sure if that will help any of you out! If you have capability to work from home I don’t think you’ll be entitled but if you can’t then you should be xx
  • MillP that’s great to know thanks very much 
  • Have any ladies in the UK had any advice re birthing in hospitals? I understand that in the US visitor numbers are restricted to 1 and women are encouraged to labour at home for as long as possible and are then discharged sooner than they otherwise would be (obviously, provided everything is ok with mum and baby). I imagine that similar measures are going to be put in place in New Zealand soon. I’m also preparing myself for potentially having a natural birth because anaesthetists might be busy in ICU wards. 
  • @Ac2984 I haven’t had either of those but I remember ladies talking about heartburn in my yoga group and saying you can take Gaviscon and also get a prescription for it if it’s bad!? 

@Joanttc not yet but I have a midwife appointment next week and I was going to ask about that as I was hoping to have my husband and my mum as birthing partners! They can probably tell us what is happening now but guess a lot can change between now and June (hopefully for the better). 
  • My local hospital where I’ll be having baby (also the hospital I work at) has reduced birthing partners to 1 atm and visiting times are reduced to 1 hour slots. But I’m too hoping this will change by June 🤞🏻
  • Ref heartburn the doctor prescribed me omeprazole.... it defo works as I havnt taken it the past few days because of my stomach issues and today I have chronic heartburn. Was finding gaviscon didn’t touch it and made me feel sick 
  • Hi everyone, hope you’re all good. I had a little thought today that made me a little bit anxious & im just wondering if any of you are in the same boat. 
    I was thinking about this virus & have heard about a potential retail shutdown happening soon. The first thing I thought of was, what will happen if the shop that I bought my pram from is closed & I don’t get my pram package. 
    I know it’s a little bit of a silly thought, but with all this Corona stuff going around just now it’s hard not to over think
  • I’m feeling very down in the dumps today worried I can’t stop myself crying I was meant to see the midwife today but when I got there she was off I’ll so I have to wait till next week I’m worried about bills and not working, my other girls not being at school. And giving birth if things are really bad what happens then I just feel so emotional xx
  • @Ac2984 Sorry to hear you are feeling really down at the moment. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone!
    I have had a few meltdowns this week mostly due to my growing anxiety.
    One thing that did help massively is to stop reading the news so much. At some point I was checking all articles about the coronavirus situation and it was just making me more anxious.
    I have been staying away from the news the last couple of days or restricting it to a quick check and I feel much better.

I saw the midwife yesterday and had the quickest scan ever to check that baby was growing nicely as I am being monitored for a potential risk of developing pre-eclampsia.

In response to @Joanttc we have been told that only one person was allowed in the delivery room so either your birth partner or a doula (if you have one). Visitors are also not allowed. They stopped organising tours of the maternity units too so that will be a surprise...

@Ac2984 I started looking into hypnobirthing as a way to focus on the positive and help me relax as it is based on meditation and breathing techniques. I would suggest to have a look into it as I figured it could help in those difficult moments of uncertainty!
    We have also booked online sessions with a local midwife, she is an hypnobirthing teacher. Otherwise there are plenty of online courses and some are really affordable or even books on Audible.

I know it is a difficult time and I hope that the government will support families in need financially as this virus has a drastic impact on our economy.

We are here to support each other and you can always reach out to the community :)
    Good luck, we will go through this! xx
  • @Ac2984 I had prepared a long response and it is all gone....aaah

Anyway, I was saying:

Sorry that you are feeling really down at the moment. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. It is a very difficult moment for all of us and especially stressful in the last few months of pregnancy.

I had a few meltdowns this week and reading the news consistently has just contributed to make it worst. One thing I would say definitely helps is staying away from the news as much as possible and sticking to the bare minimum if you want to have the latest update. Don't go digging into all the recent articles as I did, very bad idea!

I started looking into hypno birthing as a way to help me relax and prepare for a more positive birth (as i tend to focus on the negative at the moment).
    There are a lot of online courses and videos available on youtube. I  thinks it's definitely worth looking it up. I would try anything that helps me reduce my anxiety at the moment!
    We booked a few online sessions with a local midwife, she is a hypno birthing teacher. I hope that will help. I figured it will at least add something different to our routine as we are pretty much self-isolating now (no symptoms, just precaution).

I am hopeful that the government will support families in need as this virus is impacting our economy drastically. I know it's hard but try not too worry too much for your menth health and for the baby. You can always rely on this community :)

In response to @Joanttc, we saw the midwife yesterday and she told us that only one person was allowed in the delivery room so either your birthing partner or a doula (if you have one). No visitors allowed and no your of the maternity unit before birth so that will be a surprise...

Stay strong everyone, we will get through this! xx
  • Ac2984 said:
    I’m feeling very down in the dumps today worried I can’t stop myself crying I was meant to see the midwife today but when I got there she was off I’ll so I have to wait till next week I’m worried about bills and not working, my other girls not being at school. And giving birth if things are really bad what happens then I just feel so emotional xx
    Sorry to hear you are struggling, but as @Karinenini says, it’s a stressful time for everyone but particularly for us pregnant ladies. Are you self-employed or do you work for a company/business? 

As hard as it is I’m trying not to worry about the birth part yet, so much can change in a few weeks yet alone months. I think it’s important to focus on the here and now and only worry about the things we can control.... take care of your family and try and stay as positive as you can for that little baby you are carrying, at least he/she is protected right now! 
  • Hi ladies I’d be interested to hear what any of you who are self employed and In contact with the general public are doing ref work and money and if there is anything that can be claimed for by self isolating.... at the moment I can only see that you only get a pay out if you’ve actually contracted the virus. 
  • Hi everyone, we hope you're all ok and staying safe. We wanted to let you know, if you have any questions about Coronavirus during pregnancy, we have set up a thread where you can ask anything you like, and we'll try and get answers for you. You can find it here. Please do feel free to answer any other threads you might spot too! Stay safe everyone x

PS @Jetty1989 my husband is self-employed - we're waiting with baited breath for a Boris announcement - it surely had to happen, right? 

• Hi all, 

I’m Just jumping on this as I’m after some advice on coping with pgp. 
    I’m 27 weeks today ! Baby due end of June. 

I’ve been suffering with really bad pgp throughout, my midwife first told me to wait until 20 weeks and it should stop - it didn’t. She then sent me to a physio at the hospital who basically had set up a group session to explain to all of us there how common it is and to do pelvic floor exercises and get a support belt. Which I’ve done and use the belt every time I’m up and about. She also said if it’s still bad come to drop in pregnancy physio sessions at the hospital and we can do further exercises and show me ways to relive the pain. Just my luck I couldn’t make the first one so I planned to go the next week and then Coronavirus took over and they’ve been cancelled until further notice obviously with good reason. 

However I now find myself home isolating  so I’m not really doing as much activity throughout the day as normal, but I’m really struggling to sleep as the pain is getting worse and worse each night. It’s like I’m tossing and turning but actually I’m not because my pain is so bad I’m like locked in 1 position. My husband has to help me get out of bed in the morning and I’m border line in tears with the pain - paracetamol doesn’t really make a difference.

The further I go now into third trimester I’m worried the extra weight of baby is just going to make this so much worse and I won’t be able to cope 
  • Hi @Raj479

firstly congrats on your pregnancy! 

I’m sorry to hear you’re suffering so badly :-( I had it bad with my first pregnancy but luckily have mostly escaped it this time. I really feel for you and know what you’re going through, it’s mentally exhausting dealing with the pain as well as the physical toll it takes! 
    Have you got a pregnancy ball yet? If not I’d definitely recommend getting one, some gentle movement on that can help. Also try and be conscious of your sitting position on the sofa etc, try and keep your hips aligned so not curled legs up etc. 
    Do you have a pregnancy pillow to sleep with? If not I’d recommend one that is like full body length, I do believe using mine from earlier this time has eased my suffering. If you can’t get one of those or don’t have the space (they are big!) then put a couple of pillows between your legs while you sleep, it’ll keep you hips aligned better. 
    I’d also try where you can to keep walking to some extent and avoid sitting for long periods of time. I know it can really hurt to get up and walk etc but even just a bit of wonder round the house/ garden for 10 mins every so often will help to keep your joints all moving. 

I am definitely no expert, they’re just the things that helped me last time. 
    I’m not sure whether there’d be anything on YouTube that could recommend some gentle exercises to help? Might be worth a look! 

I really hope it doesn’t get worse for you! Take care of yourself xxx

oh and what I will say is as soon as baby is out your pain should go!!
  • Raj479 said:
    Hi all, 

I’m Just jumping on this as I’m after some advice on coping with pgp. 
    I’m 27 weeks today ! Baby due end of June. 

I’ve been suffering with really bad pgp throughout, my midwife first told me to wait until 20 weeks and it should stop - it didn’t. She then sent me to a physio at the hospital who basically had set up a group session to explain to all of us there how common it is and to do pelvic floor exercises and get a support belt. Which I’ve done and use the belt every time I’m up and about. She also said if it’s still bad come to drop in pregnancy physio sessions at the hospital and we can do further exercises and show me ways to relive the pain. Just my luck I couldn’t make the first one so I planned to go the next week and then Coronavirus took over and they’ve been cancelled until further notice obviously with good reason. 

However I now find myself home isolating  so I’m not really doing as much activity throughout the day as normal, but I’m really struggling to sleep as the pain is getting worse and worse each night. It’s like I’m tossing and turning but actually I’m not because my pain is so bad I’m like locked in 1 position. My husband has to help me get out of bed in the morning and I’m border line in tears with the pain - paracetamol doesn’t really make a difference.

The further I go now into third trimester I’m worried the extra weight of baby is just going to make this so much worse and I won’t be able to cope 
    Hi - I’m exactly the same (28+4) it’s got quite bad over the past 2 weeks & it doesn’t seem to be getting much better. 
    I’ve found some good YouTube stretching workouts which give me a little bit of relief at the time, but during the night in bed it’s just horrible. 
  • @MillP Hi, thank you for the advice, I do have a pregnancy pillow but I still just cant get comfortable at night. I have had a look at youtube but all the advice tends to be the same ways to avoid it getting worse rather than relief from it. I have ordered a pregnancy ball now I hope that helps - Thank you!

@M@MrsMcM Aww i really do feel your pain! I did try using an ice pack before I went to bed, that gave me a bit of relief dont know if you have tried that yet but might be worth giving it a go. I hope it eases off for you!
  • Hey everyone! @Raj479 sorry to see your suffering. I’m struggling with it too, it has eased a little now I’m not at work. But still uncomfortable to sleep especially! 

So, I’ve been up most of the night panicking about this Coronavirus/lock down. I’m due in 9 weeks and I’m starting to freak out. Has anyone considered having a home birth now? I don’t know if I’m being crazy, but I’m starting to think it may be safer than going to the hospital. Anyone had a home birth or thinking about it? 
  • I feel the same @georgiatim, I’m losing so much sleep! I’m praying by the time we get closer we will be past the peak 🤞🏻

As for home births, I had already been speaking to my midwife about one before all this however, I have had a couple of friends that have been told they’re stopping home births because of the additional pressure it puts on the nhs, which is understandable! I’ve got my next midwife appointment on Monday so will see what she says to me then 

I hope your pgp doesn’t cause you too much hassle :-( 
    I’ve got low iron so just started on tablets for that. Bit annoying I had bloods done nearly 3 weeks ago and they only told me yesterday! No wonder I’ve been feeling so rubbish, hoping they make me feel a bit better soon! Xx