Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

looking for work during pregnancy...do i have to tell??

hi i am stay at home mum and 12wks preg with second, and am thinking of looking for temp job at weekends just for some extra cash as things are tight and hubbies wage isnt stretching to cover baby things we will need and christmas etc...i am worried if i straight up say i am preg this will ruin my chance of getting the job...do i have to tell?is it illegal for them to discriminate in this way?would it be worng for me to not tell, then tell them once i had the job, i have a slight bump and i think it may be obvious pretty soon anyway and dont really want to be dishonest but iknow this could go against me

Replies

• I asked something along these lines back on Oct 30th - Dilemma! Would you be honest? Thought you might like to take a look back as a lot of the replies were brill from HR Managers and things. Hope it helps you x
  • Not sure if an employer would be happy if you didn't but you are within your rights not to tell them until the 15th week before the baby is due then by law you have to inform them image
  • I asked something along these lines back on Oct 30th - Dilemma! Would you be honest? Thought you might like to take a look back as a lot of the replies were brill from HR Managers and things. Hope it helps you x
    hi thanks a lot ill have a look back x
  • Hello - I am an HR Manager and more than happy to offer some free advise!!

First of all - NO you do not have to tell them, and they are not allowed to ask or treat you unfavourably when they do know!! The only thing you need to do is tell them before the 15th week before your due date.

If you have any health and safety concerns in the work you are going for then you should advise an HR person or Occ Health Department so they can carry our a risk assessment to make sure there is no risk to you and your baby through your work. If there are any risks it is the Company's responsibility to make necessary adjustments to your role.

This goes for Perm and Temp jobs - Good Luck!

Hope this helps xx

Hope that helps