Forum home Product Tests Product tests

Napolina Passata Sauce: the feedback review thread

Hello. 

This is the feedback thread for those of you who are testing the Napolina Passata Sauce as part of our latest MadeForMums product test.

Please give us your feedback on this thread by answering the following 5 questions and providing your pictures of the meals you made with your Napolina Passata Sauce.

Everyone who leaves quality feedback by answering all 5 questions and providing pictures (and is part of our product test) will be entered into a draw to win the £300 Amazon voucher.

Feedback Questions

1. Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them?
2. What did you and your family think of the passata sauces?
3. Please share with us the pictures of your meals that you made using the Napolina Passata Sauces. (To upload a picture, just press the little ‘attach image’ button in the textbox toolbar)
4. At a RRP of £1.50 per jar, do you think this is good value for money?
5. Would you recommend Napolina Passata Sauce to other parents or friends?

Thank you for providing your feedback and good luck.

Note: Any comments and pictures you post on our Feedback thread may be used by Napolina in future advertising and marketing material. See full Ts&Cs here.

Replies

• Thank you for the opportunity to review these sauces. I will complete the questions below and if you need any further info please let me know.

1. Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them?

We tested the Italian tomato and herbs and the Italian tomato and red chilli sauces.

Tomato and herbs - we made spaghetti bolognese with beef mince and mushroom and onions. I did add some garlic and a beef oxo as I always do this when making bolognese whether with a jar or from scratch. 

Tomato and red chilli - we made chicken, mushroom, onion and sweetcorn pasta with the tomato and red chilli sauce stirred in. No added ingredients were used to enhance the sauce at all such as garlic etc.

In relation to both the sauces, I was very impressed that they were 100% natural with no added nasties.

Tomato and herbs - 2 out of 3 of us really liked this sauce. I think it smelt really fresh and was lovely and thick and a rich red colour when poured out into the pan. I normally cook spaghetti bolognese from scratch, without a jar sauce, as I find them very watery but this was not the case here. I liked the taste of this one and was pleasantly surprised because normally I don't rate jar sauces for bolognese. It had a good tomato taste and the herbs provided a nice added flavour without being too overpowering. I really enjoyed this one.

My 2 year old daughter also really enjoyed this and commented that it was 'very tasty'.

My husband on the other hand was not so impressed. Whilst he didn't dislike the sauce and ate the meal, he commented that it was 'just ok' and he much preferred the meal made from scratch. There is another branded jar sauce which he likes and he said he would prefer to use that one, if he was to choose a ready made sauce for spaghetti bolognese. He said it wasn't brilliant, but wasn't rubbish either. He just didn't think the flavours were very strong and probably wouldn't purchase it again.

Tomato and red chilli - unfortunately none of us particularly liked this sauce. It wasn't inedible and we all ate our meal but we found it very bland with just a slight spicy almost aftertaste to it. The tomatoes really didn't seem to come through as much on this one and we were all disappointed as this was the sauce we were looking forward to the most. It just didn't really taste of much at all the any of us and was just a but spicy but with no actual flavour if that makes sense.

I would like to note though that again this sauce is lovely and thick and not watery at all. It again smelt very fresh when opened and was a lovely rich red colour.

3. Please share with us the pictures of your meals that you made using the Napolina Passata Sauces. (To upload a picture, just press the little ‘attach image’ button in the textbox toolbar)

Although we didn't enjoy 1 of the sauces I would say they are good value for money (if you like them of course!). They are lovely and thick and not watery compared to a lot of other pasta sauces and the amount that you get in them is a good amount for a family meal for everyone. They aren't particularly expensive. I often find with things that are 100% natural that the price tends to jump up and they tend to be more pricey that things with added ingredients but that is not the case here which is a bonus.

I was very impressed by the ingredient list of the sauces. They are completely natural but are still flavourful (well one of ours was in our opinion!). I was very impressed by this as I always like to avoid too much added sugar and salt and I know a lot of other people do too so I would definitely recommend them due to this. They also go quiet far, meaning the whole family get a decent share of sauce, without being watery and are good value for money. I wouldn't recommend the red chilli one due to our personal opinion on the (lack of) taste of it but would definitely recommend the tomato and herb sauce.
  • 1. Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them? 
    We tested the Italian Tomato and Red Chilli sauce and the Italian Tomato and Vegetables

Whilst we didn't dislike the Tomato and Red Chilli sauce we all felt there was no real flavour to it. I'm not a fan of hot chilli sauces but this was a bit too weak and really lacked flavour. I expected it it to be really tomatoey with a chilli kick but it just didn't excite our taste buds and we were all a little disappointed with this jar. If I used it again I would perhaps add some onion and cook it a bit longer to try and help develop the flavour.
    I fried chicken and added that to the sauce before stirring in the cooked pasta and served it with grated Parmesan and garlic bread. 

The Italian tomato and vegetables was a much nicer sauce and tasted delicious. It was a good colour and there was plenty of sauce in the jar and easily fed my husband and sons. I fried chicken and onion and added that to the sauce before adding fresh tagliatelle pasta. Everyone really enjoyed this meal and my sons have already asked when we can have this tea again. I think it would also be nice to add bacon or king prawns to the sauce.

The sauces were easy to use and perfect for a weekday meal when I don't have a lot of time to cook. I like that they come in a glass jar which can easily be recycled and the jar can be easily resealed and kept in the fridge for smaller families. 

I think the sauces are excellent value for money and a great store cupboard basic as they can be used as a base for a variety of meals. I especially like that they are 100% natural. 

Yes I would definitely recommend the Italian Tomato and vegetable Napolina Passata Sauce to other people.
    I would have to try a couple of different recipes with the Italian Tomato and red chilli sauce before I would recommend that as we did feel that one was a bit bland but the addition of an onion might help. 
  • 1.Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them?

We tested the Italian Tomato and Red Chilli sauce and the Italian Tomato and Vegetables. 

I made Tagliatelle Bolognese with the Tomato and Red Chilli Passata sauce, adding carrot and celery, see photo 1. 

I used the Tomato and vegetable sauce to make minestrone soup with added veg and spaghetti broken into bits!  See photo 2.

We really liked both dishes.  Pasta Bolognese is always a winner in our house and I felt that the added addition of the subtle chilli flavour was just the right strength for the whole family to enjoy.  I did not need to add any onion or garlic.

The Tomato and Vegetable sauce was a lovely alternative to plain chopped tomatoes or passata when making the minestrone soup.  Again I did not need to worry about adding extra flavour.  My 3 year old and my 6month old both enjoyed it and as a parent I was pleased that they were getting extra hidden vegetables in the sauce!

I was really pleased to see that they both had all natural ingredients and no added salt or sugar, meaning my 6 month old son could also have try!

When cooking for the children, I normally buy plain Napolina passata sauce at around £1 a carton, so for an extra 50p with the added flavour in order to cook a more interesting meal for the whole family I think it is worth it.  I also like that they are in glass jars which can be reused or recycled. 

Yes, it is really difficult to find convenient foods that have no added salt or sugar, especially when weaning a young baby.  It is particularly good for baby led weaning as they can easily have what you are eating. 

• PaperpetalsPaperpetals Regular
    edited Oct 6, 2020 12:08PM
    We are so excited to test these pasta sauces for you! our family of 4 love tomato flavours. We are a vegetarian household with 2 toddlers so I try to put a lot of planning into our meals. 
    The first passata we tested was the tomato and herbs. 
    With this I added a base of garlic and chillis and cooked it with some seasoning to create a flexible sauce that can be used for more than 1 meal (which saves me some time). I used some of it on homemade pizzas and I mixed the remainder of the sauce with cooked pasta for the little ones lunch at nursery. We liked the flavour of the sauce as the herbs brought out the sour flavour of the tomatoes but I think it was a bit too tangy for the kids are they’re both under 3. 
    The second pasta we tested was the tomato and vegetable. With this I decided to make my hidden vegetable orzo with (meat free) meatballs. Though this was a nice sauce with a good consistency and colour it lacked flavour and I had to add a lot more tomato puree than I usually do. The dish still turned out nice and we all enjoyed eating it. I couldn’t identify any of the vegetables flavours so it would be a good way to get veggies into fussy kids. 
    The napolina passata sauces have a nice flavour, colour and consistency, but I would not choose them over a plain passata. I think £1.50 per jar is more than I would pay this item as I usually purchase a larger jar of passata cheaper. As a busy mum of 2 toddlers I would need to use 2 jars (plus extra tomato puree) at a time (instead of 1) if I was to use these products. 
    I would neither recommend or advise against these products as we all still enjoyed our meal and they are a lovely product. They are a nice product to experiment with and create new recipes however they will not become part of our weekly shop.

Additional comment by user added by MFM HQ
    I would say yes we would recommend both Passatta sauces as they are of a good quality and can be used in a wide range of dishes

• 1. Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them?

Tomato and roast veg - we used this jar as a pasta sauce on its own apart from a small amount of garlic. There was a little extra sauce left over which we used to make a tomato flatbread. 

Tomato and chilli - we used this sauce as a base for a spaghetti bolognese, although I did add a little red wine vinegar and some herbs like I normally would. Bolognese is one of our faves and it made a lovely base with a little kick. 

Both kids are dairy free so I've been struggling sometimes for ideas to make their meals more exciting. They devoured the flatbread as an alternative to garlic bread and there was no pasta left in the dish, they even had seconds! The adults enjoyed it too, what we managed to get of it! 

I think £1.50 is fair especially considering it contains other ingredients that you would have to purchase separately if you were using as a plain passata for a pasta sauce, but in all honesty I would probably stick to the cheaper versions if using them as a sauce base! 

Yes, it went down well with the kids which is enough for me to recommend it to other parents, as my kids wouldn't hesitate to tell me if they thought something was yucky! 
  • Please see our feedback below 😁

We tested the tomato and vegetable sauce and the tomato and chilli sauce. 

We made a vegetarian lasagne with the tomato and vegetable sauce.

With the tomato and chilli one we made a vegetarian chilli and also used it as a stir in sauce with our tortelloni and gnocchi. 

Both sauces had a nice consistency to them and the flavours were good. 
    The chilli one was only subtly chilli flavoured which worked perfectly to coat the gnocchi and tortelloni meals, however, I did add additional spice to our chilli as we prefer a hotter taste. 

The vegetable one was fine as a base for the lasagne but in all honesty didn’t bring anything extra to the dish compared with a plain tomato passata that I’d usually use. 

We preferred the chilli out of the two and would definitely buy this again to use on dishes such as gnocchi or tortelloni. It was also mild enough for our toddler to tolerate. 

The overall quality of these sauces was good though, they were verstaile and cooked nicely. 

I also like that they come in jars which makes it much easier if you don’t wish to use the whole lot in one go. They’ll keep fresh for a few days in the fridge. Ideal for how we used them!

3. Please share with us the pictures of your meals that you made using the Napolina Passata Sauces. 

If using as a sauce to coat things and just add a bit of flavour then yes, these are well worth the money. 
    If you’re looking to use it as a base for something like a chilli or lasagne, I’d say a plain cheaper alternative is just as good.

I would yes, in line with what I’ve said above 😊

Overall we enjoyed testing these sauces and experimenting with them, thank you 

We tried out the Napolina Italian Tomato & Red Chilli passata sauce first. My kids are fans of chilli in food thankfully. I made pasta topped with mince, sauce, onions and peppers topped with fresh basil and mozzarella. The sauce was beautiful with just the perfect amount of chilli. 
    We also tried out the Italian Tomato and Vegetable Passata Sauce. I paired this sauce with meatballs and spaghetti topped with fried onions and smoked cheese.

My family loves both meals and cleared their plates both times. Hubby even had seconds. 
    The Chilli sauce had just the perfect amount of chilli. Both sauces tasted very fresh. 

I feel this is a great price for the sauces. They make a perfect meal paired with pasta and meat/veg and there is the perfect amount for a family of 4.

I already have recommended the Napolina Passata Sauce to friends. I am very picky about what pasta sauces I go for because I usually make mine from scratch to ensure the minimum amount of additives. The Napolina range seems so have very few ingredients and are 100% natural! They are perfect for a quick but nutritious family meal. 
  • Thank you for the opportunity to review these Napolina Passata sauces! Here is our review:

We tested the Italian Tomato & Vegetables which we used to make my signature dish - sausagey pasta!! 

We also tested the Italian Tomato & Red Chilli which we used to make a home made lasagna! 

Italian dishes are always a big hit in our house so we all enjoyed them! 

I loved that the ingredients are all totally natural and what you would find in a home made sauce - no nasties here! 

My first impression of the sauces are the fresh, sweet smell of tomatoes when you open the jar. You know you’re on to a winner! 

I thought the Tomato and Vegetable Passata tasted lovely especially with our vegan sausages. There was plenty of sauce for all 3 of us too and would probably be enough for a family of 4. It was a great way of getting extra veg into our 2 year old! 

I have to admit we are not usually chilli people so I was a bit apprehensive about using the Tomato & Chilli Passata. However I think because we used lots of other ingredients in our lasagna, it dulled the chilli so it was definitely manageable. I imagine it probably wasn’t that hot in the first place which is good for most families. I actually quite enjoyed it in the lasagna - it gave it a slight kick at the end of each mouthful which I can deal with and my daughter enjoyed it too! 

They are lovely sauces but being tight on money at the moment, I would say no. I would however buy them if they were on offer and we were in need of a quick dinner! 

Yes I would, they are very tasty, probably the most ‘homemade’ like sauce in a jar you will find! 
    We tried the Italian Tomato & Herbs & the Italian tomato & vegetable sauces. I am not the most courageous of cooks - I struggle to find the time & the confidence when it comes to cooking, so it was wholewheat pasta spirals the first evening - with the Italian Tomato & vegetable sauce stirred through, served with fresh spinach & sprinked with mozzarella.
    The second evening, we had wholewheat pasta spirals (again!) served with Italian tomato & herb sauce with some homegrown courgettes & tomatoes.
    I really noticed the fresh smell of both sauces when I opened each jar - rich & flavoursome & very inviting as I began cooking with it.
     The Italian tomato & vegetable sauce went down particularly well with my 7 year old son! Often when I use a pre-made sauce, I find them very sweet - but these had a perfect balance of flavours & really did taste homemade. 
    3. Please share with us the pictures of your meals that you made using the Napolina Passata Sauces. 

I think this is really good value. The sauces are very versatile & one jar easily fed our family of three. It's a good option for a quick, cheap, healthy meal when combined with pasta & veg.
    Definitely. We really enjoyed tasting the Napolina sauces. We often but store own brand sauces, but this experience has shown me that it's worth paying a little extra for the quality.
    Thank you for allowing us to take part :)

Tomato and vegetables - put in slow cooker with chicken breasts, the shredded the chicken and had with pasta.
    Tomato and herbs - pasta bake with loads of leftover vegetables from the fridge.

I love the fact that they come with no added salt or sugar so there's no mum guilt about giving them to our toddler. For myself and my husband we did we had to add our own seasoning just a bit. 
    I also thought the texture was great for little fussy eaters, nice and smooth, our toddler loved them.

I think it is okay value for money, don't think I would say good necessarily. I would probably wait until had a multibuy offer if I'm honest.

5. Would you recommend Napolina Passata Sauce to other parents or friends

Yes, especially similar families to ours. That is those that want a tasty but easy and convenient meal that is suitable for the whole family. 
  • Thank you for providing the opportunity to test these sauces. We like trying new dishes and flavours!

We tested the tomato and chilli plus the tomato and vegetables sauces.

For the tomato and chilli sauce, I made fusili pasta with sweetcorn, red peppers and sausage meat.

With regards to the tomato and vegetables sauce, I made this with angel pasta, chicken, bacon, yellow peppers and sweetcorn.

We enjoyed the flavour of the tomato and chilli sauce although it wasn't as spicy as we expected. I added extra black pepper to add more flavour (although I do this with all pasta sauces). For my own portion, I also added a bit of tabasco.

The level of chilli was suitable for my 2 year old and she ate a decent sized portion, and also indicated that she liked it by saying 'yummy'. However, as I would like to broaden her eating experiences and introduce her to more spices, I would have liked the sauce to be more chilli. My husband and I feel that the name of the sauce is slightly misleading as we couldn't detect much chilli - in fact, I found the sauce slightly sweet.

For the tomato and vegetable sauce, again, my daughter ate a good sized portion, but my husband and I found this sauce very flavourless and slightly sour. I think we would have produced the same flavour if I had made the sauce with just canned tomatoes.

Please see below. 

The price of £1.50 per jar is reasonable given the size. I tend to buy 2 smaller jars under a different brand, which works out to be less cost effective.

I would recommend the tomato and chilli sauce to others, as we found it flavoursome. However, as we found the tomato and vegetables sauce extremely bland, I would not recommend this.

We tested the tomato and chilli passata and made pasta with peas and tuna, as well as pork mince and rice stuffed in peppers.

We also tested the tomato and herb and made pizza, adding pepperoni and cheese.

Lovely. It has a great base flavour which you can add to both. I loved that it had no added salt or sugar. 

Our 17th month old didn’t find the tomato and chilli one too spicy and really enjoyed it. It’s a sweet tomato flavour.

The herb one is really tasty for a pizza base.

4. At a RRP of £1.50 per jar, do you think this is good value for money?
    It’s mid- range, but I would pay it for the additional flavour.

Yes, definitely.
  • JdooJdoo Regular
    edited Oct 5, 2020 7:53AM
    Thank you for the opportunity to test these products. 
    1. Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them?

We tested the tomato and chilli and Italian tomato and vegetables. 
    With the tomato and chilli we had meatballs and linguine and with the tomato and veg I mixed in some chicken, pepper and onion and served with pasta. 

We enjoyed the sauces however I felt that the chilli was a little bit over powering. They provide a great base for making a wide variety of dishes and I tried to be as inventive as I could. 

It's great value for money considering the size of the jar. I would be happy to pay that. 

Yes I would definitely recommend this sauce. 

We tested the Tomato and chill sauce and the Tomato and vegetable. I made a prawn and chorizo Chilli pasta  and a tomato and vegetable chicken and aubergine pasta. 
    2.  What did you and your family think of the passata sauces?
    We loved both the sauces but found that the tomato and chilli sauce didn’t have enough kick to it so I did add some more chilli flakes to the dish. I loved the fact with the tomato and vegetable that there was a lot of hidden vegetables to get into the children (and partner) I loved the consistently of the sauces and the quality of the tomatoes. 
    3. Pictures attached 

I think it was excellent value for money as I normally spend £1 on my usual tin of tomatoes so for 50p more to get so much more flavour, other ingredients and a bigger size I thought it was very good value for money. I probably think you could change around £2.25 for that size bottle and quality. 

I would definitely recommend both the sauces and would in my next shop purchase as we enjoyed both meals we made. 
    I would also try the passata sauce next time to make home made pizzas with my daughter rather than the normal brand I buy.

Thanks for a great, tasty product test!!! 😀

We tested the Italian Tomato and Red Chilli and Italian Tomato and Vegetables sauces. With the tomato and vegetable sauce we made a meatball pasta for tea with the kids. We added in extra vegetables and had it with rigatoni and garlic bread. With had the tomato and red chilli sauce for lunch with ricotta stuffed pasta, chorizo slices and a bit of grated cheese. We mixed the sauce with some cream cheese to reduce the spice.

We really enjoyed the Italian Tomato and Red Chilli sauce. We mixed it with some cream cheese because my eldest [3 years old] can be quite sensitive to spice. Even with that it still had a bit of a kick to it which we all loved. I thought it might put her off but she said it was her 'favourite lunch'. Definitely a hit! Delicious and really quick and simple to do with the stuffed pasta.

We found the vegetable sauce a bit bland and if we were to use it again I think we'd add in quite a bit of extra flavour. It just had the overwhelming taste of tomato and not much else. But both the kids [1 and 3] ate it up really happily so possibly one we could use for them, giving them extra hidden veg.

Meatball Rigatoni with Italian Tomato and Vegetable Sauce

Chorizo and stuffed pasta with Italian Tomato and Red Chilli Sauce

I think £1.50 is a decent price for these jars; the ingredients are good quality. Because we usually make our own pasta sauces in bulk for cheaper than that, I wouldn't personally buy them for £1.50, especially not the vegetable one. We can get them in a local shop for 89p so at this price I'd definitely pick up the chilli one for a quick lunch/dinner option. I would also be tempted to try other flavours of this sauce if they were on offer.

For a quick win with nice flavour I'd definitely recommend the chilli one. It was such a hit in our house. I wouldn't recommend the vegetable one at all because of its bland flavour. But I'd be prepared to try other flavours or would look out for this in the shops if I was looking for a passata sauce so I'd recommend it for this reason. The simplicity and quickness of cooking makes it a really useful go to ingredient.
  • Here’s our review of the two passata sauce jars we received. 

Italian Tomato & Herb
    We made a bolognese using this sauce. Ordinarily we would use a tin of plum tomatoes and a mix of fresh and dried herbs, so it was interesting to test whether this jar matched up to our classic version.

Italian Tomato & Vegetables
    We made a tomato and orzo bake using this sauce. We added chopped roasted red peppers, sardines, rocket and sardines, topping with feta. 

Italian Tomato & Herbs
    Although it was tasty and you could tell they were good quality, flavoursome tomatoes, we did end up adding some fresh herbs for an extra punch. The bolognese was a big hit though with the whole family. It was great that there was no added salt, sugar or preservatives, as is often the case with jar sauces, so our 7 month old could eat a whizzed up version too - his first ever spag bol!

Italian Tomato & Vegetables 
    The vegetable flavour got a bit lost amongst the other bold flavours of our dish. A plain passata would have worked just as well. I did like knowing that there were more hidden veggies in there for my boys though. Again both our boys seemed to enjoy it!

Griffin’s first ever spag bol!

Tomato & Orzo Bake

For the size jar I would say it’s definitely reasonable. A similarly sized jar of plain passata costs about £1.25 so it makes sense that you’d pay a bit more for the extra ingredients.

I would recommend these to people who want a quick and easy dinner and for those that don’t have a lot of dried or fresh herbs in their kitchen. 
  • Thank you for the opportunity to try these sauces! They both went down really well!

We received the tomato and herb and the tomato and vegetable sauces. I made a beef bolognese with the tomato and herb sauce and a tuna pasta sauce with the tomato and vegetable

Both are dishes that I make regularly so it was good to see if there was a difference compared to our usual passata that I use for these. Both sauces tasted richer and more ‘tomatoey’ than the usual and I was a little worried that the little ones wouldn’t like the flavour but this was definitely not the case!

both meals went down well and I was especially glad of the extra veg in the tomato and veg sauce as it got more veg into 2 fussy toddlers! Definitely a tasty pair of sauces and adds a lovely flavour. Fresher and deeper than usual.

Please see under q 1

it depends, then if the sauce is usually in this jar size then maybe but my usual sauce is less for a lot more so I might switch to these ones for a special meal as opposed to just the regular weekly pasta!

They were tasty so I would recommend them but not necessarily as a first choice but as sauces I have tried and liked. 
  • Thank you for sending us the sauces to test.

With the Italian tomato & red chilli sauce we made a sausage and pasta dish with red and orange peppers and onions, topped with parmesan. With the Italian tomato and vegetables we made a cheesy bacon pasta dish.

We very much liked the fact that both sauces were 100% natural. Usually we make all our sauces from scratch as many of the ready made ones have added preservatives. Both sauces looked appetising and had a good consistency. 

Both my husband and i felt that the tomato and red chilli sauce lacked depth of flavour. I don't like to eat very spicy food so i could definitely detect the chilli but had we not added the peppers, onion and cheese the sauce would have been quite bland. My 3 year old unfortunately didnt like the sauce, she found it too spicy, but my 1 year old ate everything on her plate.

We all preferred the tomato and vegetables flavour and all of us finished our meal. It had a better all around flavour and had we only added the sauce to the pasta without the extras it would still have made a tasty but simple meal.

Yes i think at £1.50 per jar they are excellent value for money. The jars are quite large and very easily make a meal for 4 people. Considering they are 100% natural i think they are a very good price. They are also very versatile and can be added to all kinds of dishes.

Yes i would. Although we weren't fans of the tomato and red chilli flavour we would still buy the tomato and vegetables flavour and i think it would be popular with a lot of families.
  • 1. Please tell us which passata sauces you tested and tell us about the meals you made with them?

We had the pleasure of enjoying (testing 😊) the Napolina Italian Tomato & Vegetable passata sauce and the Napolina Italian Tomato and Red Chilli passata sauce

My first impression was the colour of the passata. Yes, tomatoes are red and so is their juice. But surprisingly enough a lot of passata sauces have food colouring in it. This mostly happens if the tomato content is under 50%. I was happy to see that the sauces are 100% natural.

As a Ghanaian family, we tend to use a lot of tinned tomatoes and passata sauces in our dishes”. My sons on the other hand are firm believes/ worshippers/ followers of the very trendy beige diet. On a good day, of course, they will eat a different colour, my main struggle is to sneak in hidden vegetables. I was therefore very excited to use the Tomato and Vegetable sauces for one of the dishes. I love the fact that there was celery in it, as I tried many many MANY times to chop or blend celery into one of their meals. Of course, they would smell, sense, taste it ☹.

My husband, MIL and I like spicy food, so I reserved the Red Chili passata for us. I must say that I didn’t really get any chilli taste at all, I did expect some sort of spicy-ish taste. So that was slightly disappointing but could also be that we are just used to the spice of a habanero chilli. Nonetheless, both sauces tasted amazingly fresh.

3. Please share with us the pictures of the meals that you made using the Napolina Passata Sauces. (To upload a picture, just press the little ‘attach image’ button in the textbox toolbar)

For the kids, I made an Egg and corn beef stew out of the Tomato and Vegetable passata. This was accompanied with fried plantain and plain basmati rice. Both boys enjoyed their meal and didn’t taste a difference. As corn beef has high salt content, the only other spices used were smoked paprika and ginger.

The adult meal was Chicken parmigiana on a rocket bed with sweetcorn and mixed potato mash. I didn’t use any additional flavouring for the passata as I wanted to taste the natural flavours. The chicken was seasoned anyway.  I loved the taste of the fresh passata against the mash and rocket. My mother in law was pleasantly surprised as well. My husband didn’t like it very much as he said it wasn’t spicy enough. He did however finish his plate and had a second helping as well.

4. At an RRP of £1.50 per jar, do you think this is good value for money?

I believe £1.50 is reasonable. I would pay up to £2 for a passata that has 100% natural ingredients.

Yes, I would recommend this product and I would like to try the sauces with a pasta dish. I think the red chilli passata would work brilliantly in an eggplant lasagne

• Hi everyone, thank you all for taking part in this product test, leaving such brilliant, detailed feedback and posting your fantastic foodie pictures. 

The winner of the £300 Amazon voucher is @JenandDyl
    We will be in touch via email to send you your prize. 

Thanks again everyone - we're going to lock this thread now as the product test is now closed. 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions