Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

what to dress new born baby in?

i know i may be being a bit clueless sorry! but i have no idea what does a new born wear? do they tend to wear body suits most the time the all in ones? and then a jumper or little coat when they go out? i'm sure i'll get loads of help from my oh's family and friends. this is my first baby and i'm just worrying i don't what to dress it in! when does it generally start wearing the proper little outfits?? i have already got quite few vests and my mum is sending me some sleep suits, i know i've got ages to go i am nearly 12 weeks so have plenty of time to shop but i would just like some ideas of what kinds of things to buy? i have a little coat and hat and have been given a couple of jumpers already. any advice would be great thanks xxxx

Replies

• I expect just baby grows for the most part although if i have a boy ive seen beautiful dungarees that i think would be just adorable for a coming home outfit mainly because you have those photos for ever... not seen anything as such for a girl as of yet... x
  • I expect just baby grows for the most part although if i have a boy ive seen beautiful dungarees that i think would be just adorable for a coming home outfit mainly because you have those photos for ever... not seen anything as such for a girl as of yet... x
  • I would judge wat u put ur newborn in by the whether at the time, a summer baby for example perhaps might not need as many layers as a baby born in the autumn. I wudnt worry though as long as uve got a variety of clothes it will come naturally to u wen ur baby is born. B warned though sleepsuits are probably best for the first couple of wks because there is lots of sick and poo which means lots of clothes changes throughout the day, lol. Kerry xxx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev183pf___.png

• thanks u have been so much help!! yes will get lots of sleep suits, i am thinking i will have a very small baby as i am very small and midwife said same but then u never know!! yeh i have seen such cute outfits but i know they grow out of them very quick and like u said u will be changing it all the time! i am due 29th august but with this english weather u can never tell what its going to be like!! xxx
  • hi that is a funny time of year to judge the weather, kind of end of summer but beginning of autumn. just go with whatever feels best for you. from experience people tend to buy 'proper outfits' as presents more than sleepsuits cause they enjoy looking for wee girl or boy outfits once its born and they know what it is.
    i think at first i used sleepsuits just for a couple days |(with vest under) cause i was desperate to put wee outfits on her, but it was just soft trousers and tops (not really denim or anything scratchy at first) (she was born in october so she always had on cardigans too). might be worth buying a snowsuit just incase summer ends early and it would be better to have got it and not needed it than wishing you had got one.

after a few days i only used sleepsuits as pyjamas, but i know others who used them as day wear too, so its really just up to you x
  • hi my lo was born in october so when we was just lazing around the house, she wore a romper suit with a vest underneath and the rest of the time she wore proper little clothes, like jeans and tshirt with a cardigan over it. hope this helps.

hannah and baby girl 15wks x
  • my lo mostly wears vests (short sleeves and no legs) in the house as its never cold indoors. she wears all in ones for bed (lovely warm blanket over her so doesnt need anything else) and if we were to go out she has on a vest, all in one, cardigan and hat then blanket over her. i saw on "this morning" a year or two back that babies should wear one more layer than you have on. hence if you are in just a t-shirt, they should have a vest and cardy or vest and all in one. but genrally you can tell if they are too hot or too cold from feeling the back of their necks or there chest (dont determine this from hands or feet as they are always naturally cooler). i found for the first two months proper outfits didnt fit evie very well and were just a bit of a faff coz t-shirts tend to ride up etc. but she is 3months now and outfits fit her perfectly. anyways i've blabbered on but i hope this helps a little xx
  • Hi my two just lived in a vest then a baby grow over the top as they are comfy and easy for all the changes, i had a few nice outfits for if we had visitors or we were going any where but i didnt really start getting stuff until3-6 months and 6-9 months as they got loads bought for them.
    vikki xx