Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Hello.

Aunt Bessie’s would love to hear all about your favourite roast dinner memory and why it’s so special to you, and you could win a £200 Amazon voucher for telling them.

Aunt Bessie’s say “We know there is nothing better than gathering your family together, and joining each other around the dinner table for a traditional Sunday roast. We also know that the less time you have to spend in the kitchen, means more time for you to spend with your family, making new memories. So take the pressure off your cooking time, and reach for Aunt Bessie’s Crispy and Fluffy Roasties and Aunt Bessie’s Yorkshire Puddings, saving you precious time to spend with your family.”

To be in with a chance of winning, please post on this thread (‼️scroll to the text box at the bottom of this page‼️) and tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory and why it’s so special to you, and you could win a £200 Amazon voucher for sharing!

Everyone who posts (and answers the question fully) will be entered into a prize draw to win the £200 Amazon vouchers.

We'll keep this thread open until 30/11/20, and we'll announce the winner's name a few days later.

This discussion is sponsored by Aunt Bessie’s. Please note that comments and pictures you post here may be used by Aunt Bessie’s in future marketing material. See full Ts & Cs here.

Replies

• I’d had an argument with my parents about something when I was about 7 or 8. Probably didn’t  get my own way over something or other. In defiance when we sat down at the dinner table for our Sunday lunch I ate my entire roast dinner with my hands hoping it would really wind them up 🤣 Instead we ended up sitting and laughing about it and the argument was forgotten. Not quite the outcome I was hoping for but we still laugh about it now 😂
  • It is a horrible time, my partner has covid and is stuck in the bedroom. I leave food outside the door and he collects it when I’m downstairs. I told him we we’re having a roast dinner (which he loves). I remembered I had included aunt Bessie Yorkshire’s in my food delivery. We rarely have Yorkshire puddings but we need ‘happy’ food. I got a text straight after he had finished the dinner, he said “Amazing dinner, Yorkshire puddings were a lovely surprise and made it even better”. With another 8 days to go in isolation I will definitely be doing another roast!!!! 🥰
  • ClaraSaisClaraSais Regular
    edited Nov 2, 2020 3:22PM
    My late mums roasts were legendary - a roast cooked by a loved one Is very special, you miss it when it’s gone. I do remember her accidentally leaving a teabag in the gravy though as her dementia took hold bless her.
  • The first time my now husband came to my house to meet my parents my mum made a roast dinner. That day he went to the pub with his friend for some Dutch courage so turned up slightly tipsy. My mum piled a mountain of food on his plate and he was looking at me desperately as he was too full from beer but didn’t want to be rude so he was secretly moving bits to my plate. He sat on my little brother’s beloved teddy upsetting him and then to top it off my little brother told him I couldn’t process corn (why and where he got this from I do not know) so I was massively embarrassed. We couldn’t have scared him off too badly as nearly ten years down the line we have two kids and hubs is super close to my family but when I eat a roast dinner I think fondly of the day it all started 🤣 
  • My most treasured roast dinner memories come from Boxing Days when I was a child. All of our family from my Father’s side of the family descended on my Granny’s house for a day of eating and celebrating the holidays. We all sat down to a big roast Christmas dinner together- all 30 or so of us. Every member of the family brought their signature roast dinner dish- my granny’s succulent turkey and extra crispy roasties, my aunts honey roast carrots and parsnips, my mums creamy bacon sprouts, my aunts honey soy pigs in blankets and stuffing. As the years have went on the family has exploded and it’s now more of a buffet affair but I will always remember those days all together eating the most amazing filled with such love. 
  • My best memory is probably last Christmas day. Up until 2018 we did dinner at my in-laws but with a toddler and baby we wanted to make our own little family memories and traditions so we started doing it at home instead. Last Christmas was great as both boys were older and more involved and interested we had all the things we wanted, the way we wanted them and even though it was all made from scratch it was just so relaxed and exactly what we wanted.

• It would have to be my late mum-in-laws Xmas dinner - an Indian twist on the tradition British dish. You have to taste it to believe it... she cooked it with devotion and seasoned it with love. No roast can ever live up to that magic formula! ❤️
  • My favourite roast dinner memory has got to be me almost a year ago, in the birthing centre at St Marys Hospital munching on a roast dinner out of a plastic container that I had bought along with me as I had gone into labour ( with my now baby boy ) on sunday lunchtime and didn't want my mums roast to go to waste! Aunt bessies potatoes, crispy chicken, ripe winter veg and cranberry sauce sadly all came back up( over the poor trainee midwife ) once I hopped into the birthing pool but it tasted good nonetheless and was definitely a memorable roast! 
  • When I first met my husband we would regularly be invited to his parent's house for sunday roast dinner. I loved the food there - they'd make the effort to do "all the trimmings" as it were each week. Aunt Bessie's Yorkies of course but everything else made from scratch. One week, the potatoes were particularly fluffy and tasty and just amazing! Nothing like I'd tasted before. I kept commenting about how incredible they were and how much nicer than usual. 

My husband kept kicking me under the table to be quiet but I didn't take the hint. Turns out these new amazing roast potatoes were Aunt Bessies ones rather than made from scratch themselves and they were SO. MUCH. BETTER. than normal. 

Took me a while to get back into their good books after being so brutally honest that their potatoes were never as good as the Aunt Bessie's one but I think they took the hint as they've used Aunt Bessie's potatoes ever since. 
  • My lovely Mum made the best roast dinners ... the fluffiest Yorkshire puddings, the tastiest gravy, etc, etc ... but Christmas round my Mum and Dad's was always THE bestest.  I can remember my Mum's last Christmas, we'd hit the fizz and the sherry early, and my husband found us having collapsed on the floor after laughing and dancing around the kitchen, and in our merry hunger we'd tested all the pigs in blankets and they were gone!  Ooops ... 
  • After being in Denmark on an exchange programme for 6 months And never seeing a roast tattie! I came home and mum made the Sunday a roast complete with Auntie B tatties..... utterly delicious and memorable 
  • Christmas nearly 16 years ago when I’d just had my first baby. She was born on 1st Dec and It was the most magical time. Christmas dinner was amazing as always, but even better as everyone was fighting to hold her! Might be the only time my hubby actually got any Yorkshire puddings as my 3 brothers usually fight over them! Now it’s my 15 year old and 8 year old that fight over them and I’m sure my youngest baby will join in the fighting this Christmas! She’ll be 16 months! 
  • My favourite is when my auntie got our extended family 27 of us (nan, grandad, aunties, uncles cousins) and made us a roast dinner one Sunday,
    We had huge tables going from one end of the house to the other and were squashed like sardines elbows banging but it was the most fun ever !! We chatted, no phones, told silly jokes and had the best dinner ever - you should of seen the pile of plates to be washed afterwards it took us all to take turns to clean them !!

It's so very special because it was a once in a life time meal as my nan, grandad and mum have gone now so we can never repeat it.
  • It was a Christmas dinner I had with my mum, my dad & my brother when I was a little girl. My mum passed soon after & my brother has since passed. I only really remember it because of a photo... I cherish that picture 
  • My mum was one of 11 children so I have a lot of cousins, which made it hard to carve out quality time with my grandparents as a child. In my teens I would always go to their house on a Wednesday evening, on my own, to do my homework and eat dinner with them. My nana always knew how much I loved her roasts and would always cook one for me. I have such fond memories of these times, especially since neither of them are with us now and I miss them so much.
  • Christmas Day roast dinner last year was extra special as we spent it in the Lake District with loads of family we don’t usually see at that time of year. It was so nice having everyone together, young and old, especially with the situation we are now in.
  • When I was a teenager we went through a lot of trauma in the family and for a couple of years we were really struggling to connect and talk to each other. We wouldn't ever sit down to eat together, unless it was for a sunday roast dinner. Those weekly roasts really got us back and track and gave us special quality time we needed. 
  • My best roast was when I returned from travelling for 6 months in Asia. It tasted like home.
  • Actually I had an Aunt Bessie bakeoff with my daughter in law ( a Yorkshire lass ) so you can imagine the arguments around her homemade 'Yorkshire puddings' and my lovely Aunt Bessies - It was actually a draw as a blind tasting test 
  • Dad was a butcher for many years so always chose good meat and carved it , after he died we hadn’t got a clue but worked it out and mums roasties are still the best 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions