Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Brown spotting daily in early pregnancy

Hi everyone. I'm on my first pregnancy now and kinda anxious about everything. I'm about 5w 3d now.

I started having a very light brown spotting about a week ago. It's kinda gotten lighter some days, heavier some days, but hasn't completely stopped. I started on progesterone from my OB the day after the spotting started but it hasn't gone away yet. The heaviest that it has gotten is probably less than 25% of a pantiliner, it's mostly a couple of drops or a thin streak in 24 hours. It hasn't gotten heavier and I have had only very mild intermittent cramps (MUCH milder than my usual period cramps).

Has anyone else experienced the same? Getting stressed every time I google this. I'm too early to see the OB so my first ultrasound will only be next Friday, which seems ages away.

Replies

• Yes i experienced this from 4weeks + 5days right upto 14weeks. I even had 3 big red/brown bleeds. I’m now 26weeks. 
  • Gamble5 said:
    Yes i experienced this from 4weeks + 5days right upto 14weeks. I even had 3 big red/brown bleeds. I’m now 26weeks. 
    Thank you! That's really reassuring.

I hope everything turns out OK at my first OB visit next Friday, fingers crossed!
  • 🤞🏼 For you lovely. Apparently 25% off women suffer from spotting in the first trimester due to extra blood flow to the cervix. Think mine lasted a little while longer due to having twins X
  • Gamble5 said:
    🤞🏼 For you lovely. Apparently 25% off women suffer from spotting in the first trimester due to extra blood flow to the cervix. Think mine lasted a little while longer due to having twins X
    That's definitely another reassuring statistic :smiley: All the other accounts I've read have been of people just getting maybe a few days of it, but mine has lasted just about a week now even on low-dose progesterone tablets, and my anxious brain is convincing me of all sorts of bad news about it.
  • I completely understand how you feel, thats how i felt through the whole of my first trimester, my epu was very thorough with them always saw me to put my mind at ease. Even now i still hAve the habit of checking whenever iv been to the toilet X
  • Gamble5 said:
    I completely understand how you feel, thats how i felt through the whole of my first trimester, my epu was very thorough with them always saw me to put my mind at ease. Even now i still hAve the habit of checking whenever iv been to the toilet X
    Yessss... I get a bit dejected whenever I still see brown spotting every time I go to the toilet now but at least it's not increasing in quantity or accompanied by other things. I'm so impatient for but nervous about my first OB visit, kinda wish it'd just be over and done with already so I know for sure what's happening.
  • I know how you feel, i luckily had a scan at 7weeks. I was just told that if the bleeding didn’t get heavy or turn bright red it was normal, so not easy to keep calm tho. I’m sure everything is ok 🤞🏼 Is this your first baby? X
  • Gamble5 said:
    I know how you feel, i luckily had a scan at 7weeks. I was just told that if the bleeding didn’t get heavy or turn bright red it was normal, so not easy to keep calm tho. I’m sure everything is ok 🤞🏼 Is this your first baby? X
    Yes, it is! My very first known pregnancy too so I'm all sorts of nervous, anxious, terrified and all that. Yeah my first scan next Friday will be just about at 6.5 weeks for me. Fingers crossed!!
  • Good luck lovely ☺️
  • How did it turn out? Dealing with the same :(
  • TeepZ said:
    How did it turn out? Dealing with the same :(
    Still monitoring on my end! It hasn't gone away yet, but hasn't progressed. It just sometimes gets a little heavier if I'm 1) *EXTREMELY* stressed or 2) walked around a bit more than usual. The gynae has put me on progesterone 10mg 3x daily and told me to stay off my feet as much as possible.

I did a scan last Friday, saw the gestation sac and everything in the right place (so not an ectopic pregnancy, which is a load off my mind at least) but wasn't able to detect a heartbeat just yet. The gynae said it's likely to be still too early as she dated it about 6w1d +/- 10 days, so I'm going back again next Friday for another scan.