Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anterior placenta

Hello everyone I’ve had my 16 week appointment today and found out I’m having a little girl, also found out I have a anterior placenta? What does this mean for me, I did ask and she said I might not feel baby untill later in pregnancy but I’ve been feeling baby wriggle most days, am I imagining   the baby moving or am I a lucky one with a anterior placenta? Thankyou any advice would be amazing! 

Replies

• Congratulations! I'm 27 weeks with an anterior placenta and having a girl too and I sometimes struggle to feel her moving but other days can feel her constantly. I actually went to the hospital to get checked out last week and the midwife on duty said if there ever is a day I can't really feel her I should lie on my side for a little while and this should encournage more movement. I couldn't say about whether you're imagining the movements or not as I am FTM and pretty sure what I feel and what I felt early on was real! Sorry if this has been no help  :smiley:
  • Ruby94 said:
    Congratulations! I'm 27 weeks with an anterior placenta and having a girl too and I sometimes struggle to feel her moving but other days can feel her constantly. I actually went to the hospital to get checked out last week and the midwife on duty said if there ever is a day I can't really feel her I should lie on my side for a little while and this should encournage more movement. I couldn't say about whether you're imagining the movements or not as I am FTM and pretty sure what I feel and what I felt early on was real! Sorry if this has been no help  :smiley:
    Thankyou so much for replying!!  This is my second so I was sure I’d feel movements earlier on, heartbeat was still found yesterday by midwife but baby was hiding behind placenta! Think I’m just worrying even tho I don’t need to, Thankyou again and congratulations!! X 
  • Congrats! Fellow anterior placenta here and I felt movements really late. I think I was 23 weeks when I felt definite movements, cutting it very fine for the 24 week deadline. Apart from making movements a little trickier to feel, an anterior placenta can also be quite low down I believe and its possible to be blocking the cervix. I found out about my anterior placenta at a private scan at 17 weeks and the sonographer told me the hospital would check the position at the 20 week scan. Mine is low but not covering the cervix at all so no probs. Did they check whereabouts yours was at your appointment? 
  • Congrats! Fellow anterior placenta here and I felt movements really late. I think I was 23 weeks when I felt definite movements, cutting it very fine for the 24 week deadline. Apart from making movements a little trickier to feel, an anterior placenta can also be quite low down I believe and its possible to be blocking the cervix. I found out about my anterior placenta at a private scan at 17 weeks and the sonographer told me the hospital would check the position at the 20 week scan. Mine is low but not covering the cervix at all so no probs. Did they check whereabouts yours was at your appointment? 
    Congratulations to you too! I’ve been feeling movements since 14 weeks so think I’m a lucky one! But midwife did say they may not be as strong as other people! My scan was at 16 weeks and they didn’t say where abouts just that it was anterior and that they would check it at 20 week scan, do you know what your having?  Xx 
  • @Lauren465 that's great you feel movements. I used to make my OH listen to my tummy to make sure there was something going on in there cos I couldn't feel her for so long 😂 she kicks super hard now though
    Good luck for your 20 week scan! Could you find out the sex at your 16 week one? We are having a little girl 💗 (we hope. The private scan said she was a girl, then the NHS one couldn't tell cos she kept her legs together but she did say she couldn't see any sticky out bits, and for some reason I felt like I was betraying the NHS by getting a private scan so just pretended I was none the wiser 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️😂) they should check where it is at the 20 week one. Mine was so thorough I was in there for nearly an hour. 
  • @Lauren465 that's great you feel movements. I used to make my OH listen to my tummy to make sure there was something going on in there cos I couldn't feel her for so long 😂 she kicks super hard now though
    Good luck for your 20 week scan! Could you find out the sex at your 16 week one? We are having a little girl 💗 (we hope. The private scan said she was a girl, then the NHS one couldn't tell cos she kept her legs together but she did say she couldn't see any sticky out bits, and for some reason I felt like I was betraying the NHS by getting a private scan so just pretended I was none the wiser 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️😂) they should check where it is at the 20 week one. Mine was so thorough I was in there for nearly an hour. 
    I was questioning if it was actually movements as everywhere I looked online said I wouldn’t feel anything:(! Guess I’m just lucky! Lol pregnancy makes you insane doesn’t it!😂 yes I had the scan yesterday and was told a little girl also gave me a picture of her down below but it is a bit blurry I will try post it or private message you if that’s ok? Probably just overthinking it 😂! But she was head down, lol I’m going to say I don’t know gender at this scan just in case they get funny!! 😂😂 oh wow! I guess it’s better for them to make sure tho isn’t it x 
  • Hi , im also anterior placenta ,this is my fourth baby and been feeling movements since 16 17 weeks but have also had a few quite weeks where I was concerned and went in to be monitored all was fine , first time I have had a anterior placenta aswel . Im now 31 weeks , I would say it must affect movements sometimes somewhat but overall you should feel movements regularly aswel. Its very difficult with anterior placenta xx
  • 90schick said:
    Hi , im also anterior placenta ,this is my fourth baby and been feeling movements since 16 17 weeks but have also had a few quite weeks where I was concerned and went in to be monitored all was fine , first time I have had a anterior placenta aswel . Im now 31 weeks , I would say it must affect movements sometimes somewhat but overall you should feel movements regularly aswel. Its very difficult with anterior placenta xx
    Hey, congratulations!! I thought I was going mad feeling movements as everywhere I’ve looked says you won’t feel anything till gone 20 weeks, midwife said to make sure I keep a eye on them once in further gone and it is, it’s a confusing one xx