Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

5 weeks pregnant - possible miscarriage?

Hi folks, I have just signed up. I’m 30 and last week found out I was pregnant with my first baby on the Friday. By the Saturday night I had terrible cramps and got out of bed to take 2x paracetamol. On the Tuesday I had dark brown spotting, almost stringy. But today I’ve had really sore cramps again and almost like period bleeding (maybe not as heavy as my normal and is slightly stretchy looking if that makes sense). I’m convinced I’ve had a miscarriage which is devastating. I phoned the epu but they said it was a “wait and see” scenario and too early for a scan. I was wondering what my next move was? Do I contact my gp? Do I take another clear blue test? I have seen some threads with women experiencing this and have had scans that have showed the baby is fine but i don’t want to get my hopes up. Melody. 

Replies

• Hi @mmc2k6xxx, so sorry you have to go through this.
    I was in a similar position last month, it unfortunately ended up being a chemical pregnancy. I had a scan, I would have been 5 weeks and something bit there isn't really anything to see yet. So the only thing you can do is take a pregnancy test every other day to see if it's still positive. If the line gets darker you know you didn't have a chemical and your pregnancy continues. Fingers crossed for you xx
  • @Bundaberg hello. Yes, it has been a miscarriage. I have no doubt as the bleeding has been heavier with large clots. Heart breaking isn’t it. Hoping to try again in a few months. Thank you for messaging me back xxx
  • I was hoping you beat the odds @mmc2k6xxx, so sorry to hear! If you are ready to try again, you can just do it. My GP just told me to keep on testing until there is no hcg anymore, and then you're "ready to go" again, as there is no physical reason to wait. (took me 2 days to have no line anymore), TTC this month again but didn't work out this time, it's alright though.