Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Positive test then negative?

Hi everyone,

I just got married and went on my honeymoon two weeks ago. I took a pregnancy test on Saturday and to our shock it was positive! We are both overjoyed.

on Sunday I decided to take another test, and it was negative. I’m really on edge because we of course we’re so excited about the positive. Any experiences like this? I have an appt with doctor later! Thank you in advance for any help of guidance! 

Replies

• What test did you take that you got negative on sometimes clear blur digital give false negative is taken early try a first response good luck 
  • What @Sj83 wrote - the digital tests aren't as sensitive as the first response tests. So the more sensitive, the sooner it will show a positive result. Just because the digital didn't pick it up, doesn't mean you're not pregnant. Keep us posted! Xx
  • Thank you loves. Doctor ordered blood work for me so hopefully tomorrow I will have a definite answer.

the positive test was a CVS early detection. The negative was clear blue! The doctor made a good point that if I am pregnant it is reealllly early on in the pregnancy so maybe that is why this has happened. Will keep you posted! :smile:
  • So I have PCOS haven’t had a period for almost 10 years , I recently came on (13th March) complete naturally out of the blue , I’m also not on any fertility meds etc ,  have been feeling groggy past two weeks sore boobs/ nipples friend convinced me to take a test got the clear blue first one was positive second one straight after negative another two negative like what are the chances of a false positive ? How have I got a false positive minutes apart from a negative result surely the ‘chemical pregnancy’ I’ve read about doesn’t happen they quickly ? 
  • So I have PCOS haven’t had a period for almost 10 years , I recently came on (13th March) complete naturally out of the blue , I’m also not on any fertility meds etc ,  have been feeling groggy past two weeks sore boobs/ nipples friend convinced me to take a test got the clear blue first one was positive second one straight after negative another two negative like what are the chances of a false positive ? How have I got a false positive minutes apart from a negative result surely the ‘chemical pregnancy’ I’ve read about doesn’t happen they quickly ? 
    Hoping yours is actually a true positive and the other test was a false negative! I still have no idea what happened in my case. As an update, my blood had no HCG in it and so it was not a chemical pregnancy. I think I’m going to steer clear of digital tests from now on- I think it must have been an error with the test itself. :( glad I am not alone! The doctor told me it’s only like a 1% chance a false positive can happen 
  • Hi @HannahBakesss, first of all false positives are very rare, especially with digital tests.
    When did you test, early in the morning? When is or was your AF due?
    I would recommend testing again in the morning with a first response test, one with a pink dye. Thing is that the digital tests aren't as sensitive as the others, so they need a higher concentration of hcg to give you a positive. It could be that you tested positive but with the next test your urine was more diluted if that makes sense to you?
    Anyway fingers crossed for you and keep us posted!
  • Bundaberg said:
    Hi @HannahBakesss, first of all false positives are very rare, especially with digital tests.
    When did you test, early in the morning? When is or was your AF due?
    I would recommend testing again in the morning with a first response test, one with a pink dye. Thing is that the digital tests aren't as sensitive as the others, so they need a higher concentration of hcg to give you a positive. It could be that you tested positive but with the next test your urine was more diluted if that makes sense to you?
    Anyway fingers crossed for you and keep us posted!
    I took one late at night the positive one and then I immediately took another as I was shocked as you can imagine I’ve been told this would not happen for me , I then took a further two one again that evening and another in the morning all clear blue all negative but I’d downed a lot of water which I’ve read now can dilute the hcg? I took w cheap Asda brand line test yesterday evening also negative so I’m not holding out much hope it wasn’t a false positive I’m due on my period next week so I may leave it till then and try again as I honestly feel like I might be? But then again j may not even come on as I don’t usually and last month was a complete shock as well so I just have no clue at this point. 
  • I totally understand, I would be just like you. But you are really early, and I would try not to test until at least 2 days before AF maybe? And then test with a first responser, first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed!
  • Bundaberg said:
    I totally understand, I would be just like you. But you are really early, and I would try not to test until at least 2 days before AF maybe? And then test with a first responser, first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed!
    I only did one as my friend said too tbh because I’ve had like your typical pregnancy symptoms I was prepared to wait , I’m due Tuesday so I may wait now until then and go from there , thank you 
  • Yes that's still very early. So you were at least 6 days before your AF was due, with a first response you shouldn't test earlier than 5 days prior. I'd suggest the same, wait until you missed your period and then test again. Ah I know how dreadful that is! If you want to, you can join the April BFP thread, there are many other women in the 2ww.