Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Recurrent miscarriage referral

Hi everyone! 

I am possibly about to experience my third miscarriage after having my little girl in 2018. My GP has said she will refer me after I feel ready. Has anyone else been though this and can give me advice as to what they do and any kind of tests I’ll have? Thanks in advance 😊

Replies

• @Lorew hi I just didn’t wanna read and leave. So sorry your going through a loss for the 3rd time. What is it that they are saying is happening.. 

I only have had 1 miscarriage 5.5 weeks ago, mine was from blighted ovum I was 12 wks. I’m on the ttc journey again. Ans can only imagine your pain to go through 3 Mc’s. Thinking of you as it’s so hard mentally and physically :(
  • hey! I have had 4 MC’s and have had the recurring miscarriage referral and appointments. I had blood tests to look for possible APS (anti-phospholipid syndrome) and tested positive, they repeat the test if you test positive (which I did) as you need two positive tests in order to be diagnosed. I was positive both times and was diagnosed. With APS your blood contains a higher than normal amount of AP antibodies and as a result you blood clots easier which can cause the placenta to clot in early pregnancy thus causing miscarriage. They made a medical plan for when I fall pregnant again, I will need to start taking low dose aspirin from the time I get a positive HPT and have an early scan between 6 and 8 weeks. If all is well and a heartbeat is seen then I will get moved onto claxane injections for the duration of the pregnancy. I really hope this helps you a little and I’m really sorry to hear you have gone through this horrible experience xxx
  • @Lorew hi I just didn’t wanna read and leave. So sorry your going through a loss for the 3rd time. What is it that they are saying is happening.. 

I only have had 1 miscarriage 5.5 weeks ago, mine was from blighted ovum I was 12 wks. I’m on the ttc journey again. Ans can only imagine your pain to go through 3 Mc’s. Thinking of you as it’s so hard mentally and physically :(
    Hi @Nireland2020, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. They’ve not really said anything yet, just that I can have a referral. I’ve had two losses at around the 9/10 week mark and another very early. Thinking about it, I also got a positive hpt in December but strayers my period a day later so I wonder if that also counts?

so sorry you had to go through a loss too. The very best of luck to you- hope you get your sticky bean soon!xx
  • @Sarah.xo Thanks so much for this!

So interesting to hear your experience. I’m so sorry you had to go through 4 losses to get your answer though. Great that there is a plan in place for you. Do you mind me asking how many weeks you had your losses? I seem to have them around 9/10 weeks but the baby has measured small at 7 week scan in both cases (the other couple were really early losses).

everything crossed you get your bfp soon and you and baby get really well looked after!xx
  • Lorew said:
    @Sarah.xo Thanks so much for this!

So interesting to hear your experience. I’m so sorry you had to go through 4 losses to get your answer though. Great that there is a plan in place for you. Do you mind me asking how many weeks you had your losses? I seem to have them around 9/10 weeks but the baby has measured small at 7 week scan in both cases (the other couple were really early losses).

everything crossed you get your bfp soon and you and baby get really well looked after!xx 

My first was at 5 weeks, then 8 weeks, then 7 weeks and my last was twins, we lost the first baby at 6weeks and the second at 9 weeks xxx
  • That’s heartbreaking, I’m so sorry for your losses, but really appreciate you sharing your experience x
  • Hi, I am sorry to read your story. A friend of mine experienced few pregnancy losses, she did karyotyping, and it occurred genetics was an issue. She got pregnant via IVF PGS NGS. Although, there are a few reasons why you experienced mcs, it's great you will be seeing your doc to dig deeper. x 
  • Thank you for this @rainydayy

just an update as I posted this in the beginning is April (and Just in case anyone looks at this post historically) I am still waiting to be seen, if I even will be. My initial referral got ‘missed’ by my GP and then she said she wasn’t sure if one of my miscarriages would count (it was around 5 weeks) so she missed it off instead of letting the clinic decide.

After lots of back and forwards my GP has submitted my referral again (almost 5 months later) so I am waiting to hear again. I may not even be seen still. If anyone is reading this and going through something similar, as if your GP will refer you to a Tommy’s miscarriage clinic if there is one near you as they have slightly different criteria.
  • I can't help with personal experiences, just wanted to wish all the best
  • Of course, I really appreciate your reply! I just wanted anyone that may be looking for info and finds this old post to know :)