Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

laying on back - left side - right side front???????????

I am sleeping on my back at the moment because i had a small operation last week and it hurts to lie on my side or front.

when this is better though can you tell me what is best - i have read that you are not supposed to lie on one side but cannot remember which and is it ok to sleep on back this early in pregnancy (6 + 3).

any help gratefully appreciated x

Replies

• Hi honey,
    it's your left you're supposed to be on but I find it really hard to stay like this throughout the night! I'd also like to know at what stage it is really important to stay on your left - I will give hubby instructions to roll me over!

Hope you're feeling better but that you're still feeling sick (you know what I mean ;\) ).

xxx
  • I havent heard that there is or isnt a side to sleep on - as far as Im aware its safe to sleep on either. However, they advise you not to sleep on your back after 16 weeks, although Im 39 weeks and still find myself on my back on occasions although I have a huge pillow that supports me so props me over slightly. Its more the pressure of the baby on your organs and blood vessels - you are more prone to cramp if you sleep on your back later in pregnancy, but as I have quite a small bump I dont tend to find it causes me any problems.

x
    http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/26/2695/269598.png

• They recommend the left side is best (although right is fine) as it makes everything flow around the body better so your baby gets more oxygen etc - also later on in pg it apprarntly encourages the baby to get in the 'right' position for labour!

Like mrsS1258 said - it isn't until after 16 weeks that you are advised not to sleep on your back or stomach due to the baby squashing your organs and you not being able to breathe properly - but tbh I still find myself on my back sometimes! You will be fine at the moment image

Tara 35+4
  • Crikey I always sleep on my back with one knee up! (strange I know) Hubby hates it when I have a cold cos it makes me snore.ha ha
    Didnt know you're not supposed to sleep on your back or right side? Will have to get in the know as I'm already 18+2 and always sleep on my back....may have to invest in a big pillow too. Thanks

Kirsty xxx
    18+2
  • hey, i tend to sleep on my left, but i do turn alot in the night and usually wake up on my right! ha .. i find it to uncomfertable to lay on my back i get really bad bachache the next day!! and as for my front - whoooaaa no way! my bump's huge.. it wud be like sleeping on a mountain! ha
    i prop a pillow under my boob, and another under my bump wen on my side... bliss!
    as far as im aware it isnt actually dangerous to sleep in any position but they do reccomend to avoid sleeping on ur front after sumthing like 12 wk dont they?? or it mite just be cos its pretty uncomfertable after a certain point rather than dangerous! :\?
    30+3
  • i often find myself on my back! and i find it most comfortable. i generally fall asleep on my side but i roll about all over the place in the night.. im 33+1 and even find my tummy comfy still for short periods of time! and i have a very big bump!
    xx
  • Crikey I always sleep on my back with one knee up! (strange I know) Hubby hates it when I have a cold cos it makes me snore.ha ha
    Didnt know you're not supposed to sleep on your back or right side? Will have to get in the know as I'm already 18+2 and always sleep on my back....may have to invest in a big pillow too. Thanks

Kirsty xxx
    18+2

You can sleep on your right - it is just the left is better to get everything flowing around the body lol image

I am surprised your mw never said anything? Mine told me all this early on?

Tara 35+5
  • Im always waking up on my back and quickly roll over. I normally toss and turn on left or right side and its far too uncomfortable to lay on my front.
    They do say sleep on your left.
    Be prepared to get very uncomfortable at night as your bump grows!!

fiona
    22+2 xxx
  • I asked my midwife about this and she thought i was hilarious!!! Apparently its fine to sleep any way you feel comfy. Obviously lying on your back is a bit uncomfortable as the baby squashes everything, and its nigh on impossible to sleep on your tummy unless you enjoy lying on a beachball! but either side is ok. She tells me its during labour if the baby is becoming distressed they lie you on your left hand side but its not proven to do anything of benefit at any other time. I hope she's right! Isnt it annoying how all of us are told different things xx
  • I have definately read in one of my pregnancy books that you should sleep on your left side from the 2nd trimester! I've been practising as I usually sleep on my right and it's just so uncomfortable! With my last pregnancy I found it easier to sleep on my left once I used a big pillow!
  • i just lie however i feel comfortable which is usually on my back or occasionally side.Iv heard u rnt really meant to sleep on your back but i had very bad spd in my last pregnancy and couldnt sleep on my side or else my hips would be agony so i used 2 sleep on my back with loads of pillows around me 2 help try and stay comfortable! just lie how u feel comfy hun people fret about 2 much sometimes lol xxx
  • I have definately read in one of my pregnancy books that you should sleep on your left side from the 2nd trimester! I've been practising as I usually sleep on my right and it's just so uncomfortable! With my last pregnancy I found it easier to sleep on my left once I used a big pillow!

Yes I read this to, this is what I read:

"lying on your left side is actually good for you and your baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands.

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure."

Hope this helps xxx

• ooh that dosent sound nice about lying on back! just hope my hips dnt get as bad as last time or else il have no choice again image
  • Im 27+3 and although I try and avoid my back if thats whats most comfortable then thats how I sleep - any sleep is good sleep in my opinion and alot of midwifes and docs say it doesnt matter aslong as ur comfortable xx