Forum home General Chat General chat

Clarks said son couldn't get the shoes he wanted

I went to clarks with my son to get him some new school shoes for the new year (he wanted girls shoes) and whilst there we were getting helped by one of the staff members and she seemed nice at first when she was measuring my sons feet but when she asked my son what shoes he liked and he picked out a really girly pair of ballet flats she said that he wouldn't be allowed to get any girls shoes at all because he's a boy, this really annoyed me and as soon as she said that I left the shop and me and my son went home. Should I write a complaint to clarks about this or should I just ignore it and shop somewhere else and could I get other parents opinions on this please

Replies

• Hi Ashley. I think a letter would be a good idea. You can raise it as an issue rather than as a complaint. My daughter got fed up of sales people trying to force girlie shoes on her, which weren’t to her taste. It isn’t for a sales person to stereotype, they are there to support and advise. Perhaps letting Clarkes HQ know the situation would flag up the need for an inclusive training session, ultimately benefiting others in the future. I hope this helps and I hope your son finds shoes he feels happy with xx
  • Mel+4 said:
    Hi Ashley. I think a letter would be a good idea. You can raise it as an issue rather than as a complaint. My daughter got fed up of sales people trying to force girlie shoes on her, which weren’t to her taste. It isn’t for a sales person to stereotype, they are there to support and advise. Perhaps letting Clarkes HQ know the situation would flag up the need for an inclusive training session, ultimately benefiting others in the future. I hope this helps and I hope your son finds shoes he feels happy with xx
    Yeah I emailed clarks earlier today but haven't got a response yet, yeah I understand my son got fed up of boys shoes which aren't his taste as he loves girlie shoes and yeah I did and hopefully it does and yeah we went to Marks and Spencer a few days ago and he got himself a pair of adorable ballet flats for school then