Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Relatives & Breastfeeding

Hi all. Any tips/advice on breastfeeding around family members? I'm due mid-december and have my heart and mind set on exclusively breastfeeding if I can. The idea of feeding in public doesn't faze me all that much but I'm asking myself all kinds of questions about what do especially around  male family members around, not least my dad. I don't think either of them have any strong feelings either way about breastfeeding itself - it's more the thought of them seeing more than they might like. I'm more self-conscious of making them feeling awkward than I am for myself. Do I just do what I do as normal? Will I tell them first when I need to feed or will that be making too big a deal out of it an make them feel awkward in itself? etc etc! Maybe I'm worrying about it too much, I don't know. Tips & advice very much welcome!

Replies

• My plan is to try and bf too and I will just be feeding him as and when regardless of who’s here. I was thinking maybe putting a muslin over my shoulder to cover myself but move it away from his face when he’s feeding so nobody really needs to see anything. We have a lovely group of mums in the due in December forum you should pop by and say hello 🙂 x
  • I breastfed anywhere and everywhere, my baby needing a feed was more important than what i or anyone else felt or thought about it.  Your dad will know when you're doing it, you don't need to announce it, he'll just divert his eyes! Good luck!
  • Lh8609 said:
    My plan is to try and bf too and I will just be feeding him as and when regardless of who’s here. I was thinking maybe putting a muslin over my shoulder to cover myself but move it away from his face when he’s feeding so nobody really needs to see anything. We have a lovely group of mums in the due in December forum you should pop by and say hello 🙂 x
    Hiya and thanks, I've just bookmarked it. x
  • MrsD90 said:
    I breastfed anywhere and everywhere, my baby needing a feed was more important than what i or anyone else felt or thought about it.  Your dad will know when you're doing it, you don't need to announce it, he'll just divert his eyes! Good luck!
    Thank you...I definitely wish I felt as confident as you sound x