Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell MAM the best baby sleep tips you wished you’d have known: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Hello.

MAM would love you tell them the best baby sleep tips you wished you’d have known, and you could win a £200 Amazon voucher for telling them.

MAM says “The birth of your baby is the start of an incredible journey. Here at MAM, we believe that only the best is good enough for your baby, which is why for over 40 years we’ve been developing extra-safe baby products that combine innovative design with proven medical benefits. MAM offers support to parents and carers in two ways, not only with our extensive product range which includes soothers, baby bottles, breast pumps and more; but also with our expert advice, designed to support you every step of the way. The MAM midwife is on hand to give advice before and after your baby arrives, via one of our many Instagram Q&A’s; whilst the MAM aftercare service team are here if you experience any difficulties with the products.”

To be in with a chance of winning the £200 Amazon voucher, scroll to the text box at the bottom of this page, and tell MAM the best baby sleep tips you wished you’d have known.

Everyone who posts and answers the question fully, will be entered into a prize draw to win the £200 Amazon voucher.

We'll keep this thread open until 20/12/21, and we'll announce the winner's name a few days later.

Good luck!

This discussion is sponsored by MAMPlease note that comments and pictures you post here may be used by MAM in future marketing and advertising material. See full Ts&Cs here

Replies

• Put a small fan on in the babies room. The fan will keep the room cool and the air circulating. And the gentle white noise sound will soothe baby too sleep. 
  • Having a routine during the day. I really resisted having a day routine because I didn’t want to be strict with my baby like that but as soon as we implemented one sleeping better just fell in to place
  • The thing that saved our sanity was investing in a cacoonababy as a last resort. Our daughter started sleeping through the night almost straight away. What a relief that was. When she was older I found she would wake up for the comfort of milk (rather than hunger) and when I switched to giving her water during the night instead of milk she quickly started sleeping through the night again as it wasn’t worthwhile waking up for water 🤣 … she is a very good sleeper now and goes to bed without much trouble. 
  • Swaddling. I know some health visitors don't like you to do it, but the only way she will stay asleep is if she's wrapped up all cosy. And a furry pram suit is a must for going out, she's flat out within minutes and I have to wake her up to be fed because she sleeps so well in it!
  • To not worry too much about sharing a bed. I didn't do it for ages because I was scared too but the moment I did try it was only time my son slept through plus it was so easy for breastfeeding 
  • My son didn’t sleep through the night until he was nearly 3. I tried everything and nothing helped…until I decided to stop giving him milk right before bedtime. It stopped him from waking with a soaking nappy in the early hours and he slept through. Obviously this isn’t the thing to try for a young baby but if you have an older baby or toddler who isn’t sleeping, try no drinks an hour or less before bed.
  • A car ride can work wonders, just remember to avoid roads with speed bumps.
  • Both mine loved/ love a dummy. I resisted at first as I know some say they aren't meant to be great for their teeth, and can interfere with breastfeeding and can be a nightmare to take away once a child becomes attached to having one, however it worked!! And happy sleeping children equal happy parents. My daughter is now 3, the 'Easter bunny' swapped her dummy for a cuddly bunny and chocolate when she was 2 and she was fine, as are her teeth. With my little boy, once breastfeeding was fully established I gave him one, he's nearly one now and is a great little sleeper (and he breast fed happily until I stopped at 9months old). 
    I'd say don't knock something until you've tried it. (A story and mummy snuggle at bedtime is also always a win too). Oh and I avoid a bath before bed and only do morning ones, bath time gets mine super excited and neither then want to sleep 😀
  • Having regular naps throughout the day, trying to put baby down for a nap after 2hrs of awake time during the day. 
  • Using a sleepyhead/cacoon so that my daughter could sleep right beside me when she was a newborn.  She was a bit colicky and sleeping next to us was the only thing that soothed her. 
  • from birth I had a set routine simple… bath bottle and bed, if I found my son was unsettled i would massage some baby massage oil on him which I felt calmed him and this also helps to get ring of and wind, he would fall asleep on me straight after his bottle and sleep 10-12 hours straight through in his cot. He’s almost 3 and kept up with this routine he know once he’s has his bath and milk it’s chill time and he soon after is in bed settled. 
  • Sticking to a routine is good. Sleeping bags seemed to help my little girl sleep better as she was more comfy. Both girls have their last feed in the rocking chair before bed and the notion settles then well. I always give my little girl three kisses on her head and tell her something she's done really well in the day so she goes to bed feeling good☺️x
  • Have a routine, preferably bath, feed then bed. One of my children would be asleep within minutes if I started to vacuum as soon as he went to bed! 
  • When my girls were small I noticed that a set routine always helped them to sleep at night. We would spend a lot of time outdoors in fresh air playing, exploring and creating wonderful memories, which always helped them to get good nights sleeps. 
  • My best tip for baby sleep is to listen to your little one. They will let you know what they need especially if they have sleep issues. They are awake for a reason. Could be temperature, illness, hunger, needing a change, light, being over tired (not an exhaustive list). Whatever the reason, babies will let you know. There is so much advice out there, do what's right for you and your baby. Even your mood can affect your baby's sleep so dont forget to look after yourself too. 
  • when my son was small i didnt know but found out at a later date he slept better without the nightlight  he would wake up later without it on 
  • Very small babies don’t need to have toys, they are a waste of money. Make sure you have your baby sleep in the cot or in a Moses basket from the first day you bring them home, a good bedtime routine will help in the long run. 
  • Truthfully that it will pass . If your baby ends up in bed with you and you all sleep it’s fine ! You will all end up with a teenager who sleeps all day and won’t come near you ! Appreciate all the cuddles you can get and do what suits you 
  • Our baby boy was very boisterous and to help him sleep right through the night, my husband used to organise a lovely warm bath around 12 midnight in front of our open fire (with fireguard on of course!) and this soothed and relaxed him but also tired him out (our baby boy, not my husband!!) and we all three of us got our first good night's sleep ever - so this became a habit and our son really looked forward to it every night and so did his dad!
  • Having a white noise machine was a game changer for us in stopping our daughter waking after each 45 minute sleep cycle!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions