Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Whirli your tips for little ways you can make Christmas more eco-friendly: £200 voucher prize

Replies

• rather than sending cards we donate to the local animal shelter
  • I buy from charity shops, ebay and Facebook marketplace, use charity shop scarves for wrapping and ribbons rather than cellotape, and I try to buy people things they've asked for instead of buying for the sake of buying. 
  • CUNICULUSCUNICULUS New
    edited Nov 29, 2021 2:14PM
    CHRISTMAS CARDS ARE RE-CYCLED AS POSTCARDS OR TAGS USING THE PICTURE AND PLAIN SIDE. OUR DECORATIONS ARE SAVED FROM YEAR TO YEAR, IF PACKED CAREFULLY THEY LAST YEARS. ALSO TRY TO BUY PRESENTS FOR THE KIDS WHICH WILL BE USEFUL OVER SOME TIME AND BE EDUCATIONAL.
  • Recyled old paper bags that we have used or given to us from last year or the year before that. I also use any wrapping I find usable to wrap presents. 
  • Been using Vinted and Facebook marketplace! So much stuff barely used! Also asking family and friends to contribute to activities and not give physical gifts so swimming lessons etc! 
  • We always keep and reuse what we can each year, ribbons, cards which we use to make gift tags, gifts bags etc a great way to wrap our gifts the next year and creating less waste in the process. 
    We still like to have fun but make our own crackers with recyclable materials and fun prizes that are edible rather than throw away. 
    We love to make gifts but also aware our young boys so love toys, we choose wooden over plastic when we can, timeless which I am sure will be used for years to come.
    It’s all the small changes from everyone that make the difference! 
  • We try and reuse as much paper as we can. Recycle all our empties and food waste, plus we like to do a secret santa with the extended family but only purchasing from a charity shop. 
  • We've decided to make our Christmas more eco friendly. First thing was the tree. We're getting a potted tree and will keep it for a long time. You can even hire them now and once you're done with it, they plant it again! Next, as we can't recycle wrapping paper where we live, we're using brown paper. I think it looks really nice with a sprig of holly and string. Then finally, food waste is a massive problem (not just for us!) so we're making more of our leftovers and not buying too much. I did used to go a bit overboard and it did used to result in a lot of food waste. 
  • Recycle ♻️  there's so much junk at Christmas,  so take the time to Recycle. Some things can be reused too 
  • Dont over buy on food! there is always so much left over, and wasted. always write a shopping list before you go, then you wont be inclined to over buy and reach for things you dont actually need
  • Using recycled paper! Only buy what you actually need!  Buy unpacked fruit and veg!  Making some crafty gifts! For every toy you do buy donate one to someone in need!
  • Recycle, recycle, recycle, what we cannot reuse ourselves, we offer to our family, and sort anything else to the correct recycling bins.
  • do not buy any Christmas presents
  • I use paper sticky tape and wrapping paper without plastic. In terms of the actual presents, the kids main present is an experience day out.
  • We have been looking for second hand toys or stuff if the kids want something specific we have also been looking for experiences rather than gifts  for some family members. Using alternative wrapping for presents or not wrapping up at all. 
  • We have recycle boxes in the living room and organise as the kids unwrap. Recyclable wrapping paper also and reuse everything like ribbons, gift bags etc
  • I always make my own tags with old Christmas cards, and re-use paper that isn't damaged.
  • Recycle everything from Christmas’s past. Also save anything left unused. I have no need to buy any wrapping paper, gift cards, ribbon or anything like that this year as I have plenty left over and/or recycled from previous years.
  • Buy quality wooden toys that can be passed down to other members of the family or repurposed when they have all out grown it. Buy from local manufacturers to reduce the miles.
  • I use the same fabric advent calendars that I made myself and fill them with different useful things as well as the odd sweet. My family reuses the same wrapping paper for gifts every year and have done since I was little. We use string to tie up the presents so the paper isn't ripped. It gets folded and put back in a box as soon as a present is opened. I haven't bought wrapping paper for years. Any that gets tatty is recycled. We use linen napkins. 
    Many of the presents are second hand from charity shops or we do 'activity' presents to create memories rather than physical things no one really needs. I try not to buy things just for the sake of having presents. I make crackers from leftover bits and pieces and paper or tissue received from presents from other people.
    Anything unwanted is passed to charity shops, recycling centres or food wise to my chickens or compost heap.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions