Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Cord around neck at 28 week scan...?

Hi Ladies,

I've just been for my 3D scan and he found that our little girls cord was around her neck.
He said it's very common and nothing to be worried about, and when i asked him if could strangle her during birth etc he said no right away.

He said to mention it to my midwife at my next appointment and that during labour if i'm being monitored it may cause the heatrate to drop a touch.

However I was just wondering has anybody else had this at all? just feel a bit uneasy xxx

Replies

• Hi this happened when I went for a 3d scan and the sonographer explained that they 'play' with the cord. Later in the scan she moved the cord away from her. Mention it to your midwife if you're concerned. Midwives will always check for the cord being around the neck during birth and will just move it out the way.
  • Ive not had this myself but my last mw and I had talked about this and she told me it is actually very common for babies to be born with the cord around their neck and it isnt critical as the mw will gently unwrap the cord as the baby comes out - they will work with you to control your pushing with each contraction to allow them to do this. But like Lil Betty Boop has said, the cord can move out of this position whilst in the womb.
  • My son ha his cord round his neck at the 18/20 week scan. It was visible and stayed there until he was born. It took slightly longer to deliver him because they have you go easy as the baby is coming out but he was OK. Definitely talk through your concerns with the midwife who should be able to reassure you, tell you what to expect etc.
  • As said above, speak to you mw, but don't worry about it.

my little boy was born with the cord around his neck and was perfectly fine