Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

scared about getting pregnant again

anyone out there had an horific labour and then gone on to have another fairly normal one... im scared i will never 'let' myself get pregnant again because im scared of the whole birth. i had a really horrible time but couldnt bear my Lo being an only child becuase of my fears..... its early days, lo is 3 weeks, 4 days old

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

I had a tough time with my now 19 1/2 month son, and although I haven't experienced my second labour yet, I am 31+2 with our second son.

Like you, I was really scared just after I'd given birth as I really didn't want our son to be an only child, but I couldn't see how I could give birth again. The midwives said it was a bit early to be thinking of that, but I just couldn't help it- it really played on my mind. A few weeks after I'd given birth the memories did start to fade, and whilst I still know it was agonising, I can't now actually remember what the strongest contractions felt like. People told me the memories would fade due to the hormones and I didn't believe them, but it is true.

I also found it very helpful to go through my notes with a midwife- I did this a few weeks afterwards, but you can do it at any time. It helped me make sense of what had happened, and enabled me to feel proud of what I had achieved.

I am feeling apprehensive this time round, but not terrified. I'm hoping it will be a lot easier, as my body has been through it once already.

Give it some more time, and just try to enjoy your lo for now- easier said than done I know. I would really recommend going through your notes with a midwife when you feel ready- it definitely helped me.

Take care xxx