Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity Leave

Hi ladies,
Am i right in thinking that us lovely ladies are entitled to 39weeks maternity leave rather than the 26weeks it was when I gave birth in aug 06. If this is the case I can't wait, it means I'm not as pressured to work right up until the end. I worked right up until 40 weeks last time because I didn't want to waste any time and wanted to save it all until after the baby was born. But 39weeks is great. Kerryxxxxxxx

Replies

• it depends on your circumstances but basically YES!!!!

Check here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/Parentalleaveandpay/DG_10029285

for more details - it's a really useful website for all sorts of things!
  • yep you get 39 weeks off!
  • Hi,

I work for morrisons supermarket. And as of april next year i am entitled to 39 weeks paid and 12 unpaid weeks maternity.

Kerry xxxx
  • i think it works like this

As of April 2007, you get a total of 12 months maternity leave, but onlu het paid for 9 and a half months. I think this is right. Cant wait, like you i had a baby in Aug 06 and could only take 26 weeks off but i had to go on maternity leave before he was born as i work in a job which involves heavy lifting. I still do the same job and will prob have to take my maternity leave at around 7 months but feeling alot better being able to stay at home til the baby is 10 months.

It would be nice if they could increase paternity leave as well

Anyway hope this helps xx
  • My baby is due 10th April 08 and my friend told me last night that she thought maternity leave is being increased from 1st April next year to 12 months. Is this right?

I know you can take 12 months now being 9 months paid and the remainder no pay but if this is true being 12 months on full maternity pay then that would be great.

I'm hoping to work up til the end of March (all being well) and then will take my full 9 months and using up 3 weeks of my holiday entitlement.

xx

• i think it works like this

As of April 2007, you get a total of 12 months maternity leave, but onlu het paid for 9 and a half months. I think this is right. Cant wait, like you i had a baby in Aug 06 and could only take 26 weeks off but i had to go on maternity leave before he was born as i work in a job which involves heavy lifting. I still do the same job and will prob have to take my maternity leave at around 7 months but feeling alot better being able to stay at home til the baby is 10 months.

It would be nice if they could increase paternity leave as well

Anyway hope this helps xx

You shouldn't have to take maternity leave early because of heavy lifting. Your employer should do a risk assessment (all employers have to do a risk assessment for women of child bearing age). If there is a risk then your employer must find you alternative work. If they cannot find you alternative work they must suspend you on full pay.

Ps I am a solicitor if anyone wants to ask any legal questions.
  • I think they need to incrrease maternity pay tho - i am taking the 6 months as i would love to take 9 months but we couldnt live on the maternity wage, we'd never pay the bills, so working right up to my due date & coming back to work after 6
  • As far as I understand it if your baby is due on or after 01 april 07 we get 52 weeks leaver and can be paid for up to 39 of those weeks.

Has anyone heard of the additional paternity leave plans where you can transfer some of your maternity leave to the father after the firs 6 months of your baby's life?

I was hoping this would be implemented before my baby is due but not sure if it will be...if we can I'd like to take 9 months off and let dh have the last 3 to look after our lo...I always think it's a shame the poor dad have to go to work and miss the early development of your lo.

any thoughts?
  • Kelly149 - they HAVE to do a risk assessment it is a legal requirement and no you shouldn't have to stand for long periods of time outside this duty should be waived if you are pregnant! My headteacher was VERY unwilling to do a risk assessment for me but I spoke to my union and when she heard I had done that she very quickly got a riska ssessment done and changed some of my responsibilities!!!!

GIRL FRIDAY - check out the website that I already put the link on to www.direct.gov.uk as there is info on there about maternity rights for self employed too!
  • I have a friend in HR and he thinks the 52 weeks paid is being put off till 2010. The good news is that paternity leave should be increasing at the same time. So either we hold them in till then or have some more!!