Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

What not to do

Now I know we have all discussed the do's and donts about eating.

I read on here that eating smoked salmon and sushi was ok. I saw my MW for the first time Wednesday. And we were discussing it and she was amased that another someone's MW had said eating smoked salmon and things like sushi (raw fish) was ok. She says they contain little worms. That live in the raw fish unless they havea deep freeze for 24 hours before consumption.

Fine for the mum. But the baby's body does not know this and it might not be able to cope as well with it. Eating peanuts she said is bad as it may pass on things like asthma and I'm not sure what the other thing was. But eating other nuts are fine. It has nothing to do with nut allergies.

These were the only things I asked her. If anyone has heard different please let me know. Oh!!! and spicy food she said was ok. Cause it is all to do with the mother she said. If you can cope with hot stuff and not get heartburn. Then it's fine. Of course eating a curry everynight might not be good for everyone.

I guess which in a way makes sense as she said what do you think people in India do. They don't stop eating curries do they!!! She said however that maybe not eating too hot of a curry. But it was fine.

And of course there is the cheeses story and meat story. Luckily for me I have gone off meat..Not sure why...

So there you go!!
xx

Replies

• Hi Tashy
    yep ive heard about the peanuts - but i was told i only need to avoid them if there are allergies in my family eg eczema & asthma

as for fish i havent heard, apart from limiting tuna intake and avoiding marlin & shark due to the mercury content. but i didnt really listen to that bit as i've never been a fan of fish!

and i too went off meat until a couple of weeks ago. (i am now 23wks +4) at first the very thought of it would turn my stomach! then it was veg (& i usually LOVE veg) just aswell i was eating loads of fruit!!
    xx
  • smoked salmon isnt raw fish is it?.. i ate that when i was preg... i did miss having sushi though... i'm going for a sushi meal on sat for the 1st time since having lo... i'm so excited! x
  • the advice on peanuts has only changed quite recently. for several years all pregnant women were advised to avoid peanuts. However, due to a very big increase in peanut allergies during that time, you only need to avoid peanuts if you have a history of allergies e.g. asthma, eczema etc.

The only thing i'm really missing so far is the cheeses and pate - especially at this time of year!!!
  • Jennie is right, the smoking process acts a bit like cooking, like smoked ham and cold meats. Some countries advise not to eat it but not here. My pregnancy magazies actually encourage it as it is oily fish and contains lots of omega 3. i think the benefits probably vastly overides any potential risks
  • This is where i get totally confused. I havent touched smoked salmon (and i usually love it) as i thought it wasnt actually classed as being cooked. I also read on the internet just the other day (after reading someone's post on toxoplasmosis) that parma ham and salami should also be avoided as they are cured meat and not actually thoroughly cooked and there is a risk you can catch it. I asked my midwife about parma ham and she said she didnt know. :roll: I only eat salami if its on a pizza which is obviously cooked through.

Peanuts dont bother me as i dont really eat them (except perhaps at Christmas).

Prawns are another thing. I never know if i can eat them cold or not. i read you can eat them if they are part of a hot meal.

The most bizare thing i read a month back was to avoid poulty that isnt piping hot such as chicken legs and cold chicken / turkey sarnies!!! No way can that be true?? Ive eaten tons of chicken and turkey sandwiches since being pregnant and Christmas will be no exception!

Its no wonder we get confused with all this conflicting advice.

• i'll be eating turkey sandwiches too! the most important thing is to make sure that once the turkey is cooled down that it is kept in the fridge.

i always say that i'm amazed the human race survived so long - with all the 'dont's' we have to deal with these days that simply weren't heard about a generation ago! My mum says she was told to take iron tablets and that was it!
  • I agree GR, it is amazing we are all here today!!

I definately will be having my cold turkey & stuffing sarnies on Christmas night. It what i love about Christmas!!

My mum sometimes has a bit of a laugh at me when i say all the things i can and cant eat. But its just what we are told now. I was making myself some breakfast when i went to see her and said i had to make sure my fried egg was cooked solid and she said she has never heard that before. She was also told to eat liver when she was pregnant as its full of iron and she said it was one of teh best meals you could eat when she was pregnant. My oh's mum craved stout when she was carrying him and drank loads of the stuff and he turned out fine!
  • I've eaten sushi since becoming pregnant. Not all sushi is raw fish, & I've been careful to only eat the type that is in a box with 'NO RAW FISH' on it, lol, it's from M&S and quite nice! And because that has smoked salmon in it, I'm presuming shop-bought salmon has no raw fish in it either, cos they're so careful with things these days.

The peanuts thing is just ridiculous! But then, that's my opinion. Obviously I agree that you shouldn't smoke, or binge drink. But some of these things are silly and the only reason they shouldnt be eaten is a minimal risk of listeria - which u can easily get when not pregnant. I also think it's soooo stupid that nowadays they advise small children not to eat peanuts, or runny eggs - I always had runny eggs as a tot! I want to give my son a varied diet not the stupid NHS one :roll:

Philippa
    20+4 x x x
  • The majority of shop bought sushi (event he stuff containing raw fish) has been frozen and defrosted before it hits the supermarket shelves that is why it is ok to eat. Smoked salmon is smoke cured which is almost like cooking it. I ate plenty of both of the above and loads of prawns (hot and cold) all through my pregnancy as my mw (an older one I must add!) said it was ok to do so.
    Is is very confusing for all pregnant women as the advice you are given varies so greatly. I decided to be cautious during the first 12 weeks then I eased off a bit and ate things in moderation - even poached eggs with a slightly runny yolk - god how I craved those!
    xx
  • I so miss my runny eggs and cheeses and pate.........

i was really worried at first about all of the stuff your not supposed to eat but as Philippa said its all because of a minimal risk of listeria, which you can get anyway when not pregnant.

I have a list off midwife which says dont eat cooked meats as they can contain listeria or more than 2 portions of tuna a week because of mercury! Just what exactly am i supposed to have on my sandwiches at work!! I have been having cooked meats but aren't going to beat myself up about it as i havent drunk a drop of booze or eaten runny eggs (boo hoo) or most of the other advice....there is just no way i can stick to all of the rules!!

Have been feeling a bit swamped by all of this advice, glad im not the only one breaking some of the rules!
    x x x