Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Antenatal courses

Hi Ladies,

Is it ok to book onto a NHS course if you're already doing a NCT course?

I'm not sure if I should?

Replies

• My midwife said you could do both - but did keep saying that in the NHS one they would have to go as slow as needed - i.e. that it could be quite painful??!!

We've decided to stick with NCT only because of this.
  • You are allowed. xxxx
  • I intended on doing both NCT and NHS, but I have to be honest in that I was mainly doing NHS to meet people in the same situation, but there weren't any couples on the course that we really had anything in common with, the NCT one was much better for that.

I also found that the NCT had a much more natural approach towards childbirth and the NHS's very negative view (ie. concentrating on the pain, not the fact that it's what your body was designed to do) annoyed me a bit so I only ended up going to one NHS class. x
  • We're intending to go to both, cant harm to get all sides of information. Still waiting to hear if we have a place on the nct one though as there is only room for 6 couples!! its not until Dec/Jan either.
  • A quick question this topic. It seems a good idea to sign up for the NCT courses early, does anyone know if you need to pay when you book or when the course starts, also they seem very close to due date, what happens if you don't complete the course?
  • Thanks Rangtang, trying to work out what needs to be done early (12 week scan Thurs), I am a bit supersticious so not planning on doing anything earlier than neccessary!
  • My sister booked onto the courses with her first but was taken into hosp from 30 wks and had only attended 1 session. She had paid ??150 for the course but when her hubby asked if they could have a partial refund they said they were a charity and the course fee was more of a 'donation'. It took a lot of contact but they eventually agreed to give them ??100 back.
  • we did both. at the nct ones we had breaks so got to know people, had a reunion and have friends we see regularly. the nct was to provide a supoport network too. the nhs ones had no break so you didnt get to chat, so we know nobody from those.
    re content. the nct is all about ways to help yourself naturally, and managing after, relationships, games (groan), etc. the nhs focused more on pain relief in general (includng shock horror epidural), and basically just giving out information. we also got to watch a new born getting a bath at the hospital and view the ward and dlivery rooms. they were both useful in different ways as they both cocentrated on different element. you can not be too prepared.
  • we did both. at the nct ones we had breaks so got to know people, had a reunion and have friends we see regularly. the nct was to provide a supoport network too. the nhs ones had no break so you didnt get to chat, so we know nobody from those.
    re content. the nct is all about ways to help yourself naturally, and managing after, relationships, games (groan), etc. the nhs focused more on pain relief in general (includng shock horror epidural), and basically just giving out information. we also got to watch a new born getting a bath at the hospital and view the ward and dlivery rooms. they were both useful in different ways as they both cocentrated on different element. you can not be too prepared.
  • Thanks ladies, we started our NCT ones last week and seem to have a great bunch of people, but thought it can't hurt to get to know more people!

Have the midwife later today, so will see if they still have space for me as she hasn't told me about the NHS ones yet!!
  • We're planning on attending both, although will be using the HIP grant to pay for the NCT ones so hope they aren't too full by then