Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

1st appointment???

hi all

im 14 weeks preg and i have my first appointment with the midwife on monday i know its late but had problems with getting a new doc as i recently moved anyway i was just wondering what happens with your first appointment with the midwife???? we are just dying to have our first scan and im just nervous about everything!!!!

thanks vicky xxx

Replies

• Hi, when I had my booking in appointment I freaked out on a cleaning frenzy as I was paranoid they were going to make notes on the state of my house - but they don't! My friend had said they ask to use your loo so they can inspect how hygienic you are...I was gutted that the only room she went in to was my lounge! I think my friend was winding me up ever so slightly! lol!
    Anyway, a midwife comes to your home and they have a big information pack to give you (has Bounty stuff and vouchers and educational literature etc in it). She will talk through tests that could take place during pregnancy, she will take info about you and your family's medical history, contact details for you and give you numbers to contact for them/hospital. She will discuss any questions/worries you have.
    That's all I can remember I'm affraid, hope it helps!
    Frankie
  • Hi, when I had my booking in appointment I freaked out on a cleaning frenzy as I was paranoid they were going to make notes on the state of my house - but they don't! My friend had said they ask to use your loo so they can inspect how hygienic you are...I was gutted that the only room she went in to was my lounge! I think my friend was winding me up ever so slightly! lol!
    Anyway, a midwife comes to your home and they have a big information pack to give you (has Bounty stuff and vouchers and educational literature etc in it). She will talk through tests that could take place during pregnancy, she will take info about you and your family's medical history, contact details for you and give you numbers to contact for them/hospital. She will discuss any questions/worries you have.
    That's all I can remember I'm affraid, hope it helps!
    Frankie
    x

thanks im having my appointment in a medical centre is there any difference when they do it in a med centre?????
  • Hi my 1st appointment was at the health centre as well from what i can remember is she did my wt & ht,bp think i had to take a wee but not sure she asked both me & hubby loads of questions about our health & familys health were i wanted to have lo,think that was it i didn't get bounty pack till i had Grace,Hope this helps abit have wool for brains so was struggling to remember! xo
  • I had my 1st appt on thursday and it was more like a general chat! Telling you your options, going through your maternity notes with you, giving you basic advice on anything you want to know, and had blood pressure and wee tested. Medical details are taken for your notes and stuff like that. Had mine at GP surgery but MW was absolutely brill. Was given Emmas diary book with voucher to collect a pack from a Lloyds chemist which has vouchers, freebies and adverts in it. Hope I see her all the way through but am not banking on it!
  • I havent had any mw appointments at home, all mine have been at my GP surgery. The first appointment was taking down family medical history, weight, height ect and like everyone has been saying just a general chit chat. I never got any packs of free things ect just my notes! It really does change from area to area as to what you get.
    Good luck with your appointment,
    Amy xxx
  • i had first appointment at dr's at 6weeks, he just congratulated me on my pregnancy, gave me my pregnancy record book and sent me on my way,
    the midwife came out to my home when i was 10weeks where we had a chat about how i felt,family history ext, she did blood pressure. checked urine sample and felt my tummy, and told me the do'sand dont's in pregnancy, i got my first bounty pack to,
    good luck with your appointment xx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev099pr___.png

• I was 10 weeks when I had mine and it was at the doctor's surgery. It took AGES discussing medical history and the questions just all seemed so irrelevant! I even got asked if my oh was a blood relation image lol I know they need to ask but it is annoying.

Also the mw took my blood pressure, checked my urine, felt my stomach and tried to listen to baby's hb (although she didn't find it as it was so early...you might get to hear yours!)

I'm surprised none of you mentioned taking bloods. I had to have quite a few blood samples taken for syphilis, HIV, hep C, sickle cell (I told my mum that and she just laughed at how thorough they are cos I'm Caucasian!) and loads of other things...it's just a routine thing.

frags_jones I can't believe that lol. If I'd heard someone was going to inspect my loo I'd be like sod off there's nothin wrong with it!
  • i had bloods done at 7weeks with the nurses, you have to book seprate appointment for bloods over here, midwives only do the 16week bloods in my area.
    it is annoying some of the questions they ask,but i supose they have to ask dont they.

• well i went today and it was fine just a load of questions lol i have my scan date on 5th dec omg!!!!! something else to worry about now lol
  • good luck for your scan hun, iv got my 20week scan on thursday and im dreading it i cant stop worrying lol xx