Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Headaches

HI ladies

woke up this morning with a thumping headache and just wondered what is safe to take for it when you're pregnant?

usually would not take anything at all but its particularly bad today.

xx

Replies

• Hi I got this paragraph off of the nhsdirect website for you...

If you're pregnant, and you require medication for short-term pain relief, or to reduce a high temperature, paracetamol is recommended . As with any medicine taken during pregnancy, paracetamol should be taken at the lowest effective dose, for the shortest possible time.

Paracetamol has been used routinely during all stages of pregnancy to reduce high temperatures and for pain relief. Overall, there seems to be no clear evidence of harmful effects on the baby.

Hope you feel better soon and drink plenty of water! xx
  • I'd just take paracetamol as thats all ive been told but you might be ok for something else just not aspirin, just make sure you drink loads water as I kept getting bad headaches and mw said it cause i wasnt drinking enough

• Nurofen or Ibuprofen are big no-no's as would be cocodemol I wud imagine as it contains codeine. The only reasonable safe option is paracetamol!!
  • I've found '4head' (a stick of menthol stuff that you rub on your forehead) to be better than paracetamol and it means nothing is getting in your system, might be worth a try xxx
  • thanks guys you've been really helpful. i've got a '4head' stick so gonna give that a try before anything else

thanks again xx
  • Found this for you re codeine......
    There are few drugs that can be said to be 100 per cent safe during pregnancy. Stronger painkillers - such as those containing codeine - are usually avoided in pregnancy. There is in fact very little evidence of harm associated with the use of codeine in pregnancy but some doubts about its safety do exist. Codeine is what is known as an opioid analgesic (related to morphine) and should not be used routinely in pregnancy. However, it may be used when the benefit is considered to outweigh any risk to the fetus. Codeine is not associated with congenital abnormalities and the risks associated with its use seem to apply mainly to the last three months of pregnancy. If used in the last trimester, codeine may depress the baby's respiration and its regular use during this time may lead to withdrawal effects in the baby after birth. The effects of codeine on the woman's nervous system could also make her more prone to gastric stasis and inhalational pneumonia during labour.
  • My dr prescribed me codine last week as i was suffering with a migrain for 5 days, she said as long as i didnt have more than 8 in 24 hours i would be fine xx